The Student Room Group

I want to be a lawyer can you please advise me on subjects to take?

Hi, I’m just at the stage of choosing my GCSE choices and I’m not 100% what to take, i am very interested in law and order and I have no clue what subjects to take! I have to take English language and literature, Welsh, all three sciences, religious education and maths, they are the compulsory ones. I am also torn between history and Geograohy as I have heard they are good subjects to take but I don’t think I can do both? Help needed and fast!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Welshgal2004
Hi, I’m just at the stage of choosing my GCSE choices and I’m not 100% what to take, i am very interested in law and order and I have no clue what subjects to take! I have to take English language and literature, Welsh, all three sciences, religious education and maths, they are the compulsory ones. I am also torn between history and Geograohy as I have heard they are good subjects to take but I don’t think I can do both? Help needed and fast!!!!!

Hi, just to let you know that History is the subject that Law schools like the most, so if you are good at History, you should choose it over Geography.
Original post by harrysbar
Hi, just to let you know that History is the subject that Law schools like the most, so if you are good at History, you should choose it over Geography.

Thanks very much, that’s made it easier to choose, do you know much about law?
Original post by Welshgal2004
Thanks very much, that’s made it easier to choose, do you know much about law?

Yup, I have worked as a careers adviser and also have a daughter who wanted to be a solicitor (she's working in marketing now but that's another story :smile:). History is a good subject to take at A level (if you end up liking your GCSE and being good at it) so if you're torn between History and Geography, I would recommend History.
It really doesn’t matter.
Wow thanks for the useful advise is there any other good subjects you recommend taking?
Reply 6
GCSEs - they don't matter, really.
Keep in mind, if you're really interested in one of them, you don't really need GCSE history to do A-level history but you'll probably need GCSE geography to take A-level geography. I'm more of a history person myself :wink:

Just to save you from asking this in 2 years' time, A-levels barely matter either. Some essay-based subjects would be helpful though.
Original post by J-SP
What’s good for you?

Any you advise for law
Honestly, just choose what you want and the ones you enjoy.

It is possible to do history and geography together. You will just have to work hard for a good grade.

A level subjects are what matter. But you should still aim to get A*'s for all your subjects at GCSE especially maths and English language.

My story:
For me, I had the same compulsory subjects as you and I knew I wanted to do some type of engineering or computer science at university. So I chose the ones that I would enjoy: art, geography, and History which had nothing to do with what I wanted to do at university lol. (I managed to get all A's somehow) Then came A level, I chose maths, chem, and art and I got offers for computer science :smile:
At most A-levels and even then it will be for the grades. They will be far more focused on your law degree and depending on the firm, where you did it
I want to treat my GCSEs like they are important even if you think they are not, I don’t know how they might effect my future for the better or not, so please, I know you are trying to helpful but I am going to treat these exams like they mean something so if you having nothing effective to say please don’t say anything at all, (not trying to start something) just wanting some good advise of treating my GCSE like they are Importnat exams, thank you
Jamie getting ****ing schooled off a 14yo. Feels bad man.
Thank you I very much appreciate ur help
At GCSE level, do the one u love the most and achieve the best in so far. GCSEs are just a stepping stone to college and once your in college that’s when it all matters. By doing the one you love the most will make you want to know it and want to revise it, getting you the best possible grade which is what matters. As an aspiring barrister I’ve found Most unis don’t look at GCSE grades so that doesn’t really matter so my advice would be do the one you are most interested in and work your hardest to achieve the best in it. Law is difficult so achieving the mindset of working and studying at GCSE and it will make your life at A-Level and uni ten times easier. Enjoy high school as well cause you miss it when you leave. Best of luck in your studies.

Quick Reply

Latest