The Student Room Group

Newnham College 2019 Offer Holders Thread

Hi all,
Congratulations on getting an offer!! This thread is for all Newnham college Cambridge offer holders for 2019 entry (or 2020 deferred).

As Newnham accepts a lot of applicants through the pool (like me), I thought it would be nice if poolees and direct applicants could have a chat about the college and meet here. So, if you applied directly to Newnham, ket us know why you chose it!

Also, who will be at the offer holders day on the 23rd of February?

Scroll to see replies

hello :smile:
so I applied for geography at St. John’s but got pooled to newnham. of course I’m sooo excited and happy that I received an offer for Cambridge regardless of what college but the fact that it’s all girls is putting me off. Since uni is largely about the experience, leaving home and getting a taste of the real world I’m worried that I won’t get that at newnham. I’m a very sociable person and I’ve been at mixed schools my entire life so I’m not sure how I’ll handle the change. But I’m going to go to the post offer day so I can get a proper feel of the place since I never considered it before. Any newnham students pls tell me about your experience! :smile:
Hey everyone!
I applied to Newnham directly so I'm (naturally) incredibly happy to get an offer. The main reason i picked newnham was because when i visited cambridge (not on an open day, I visited during term time because i did a masterclass in cambridge) i went to several colleges and most that i visited were absolutely swarming with tourists (during term time), which was kind of expected, but i couldn't imagine being in a place that had that many tourists when i wanted to study, if you get what i mean. But when i went to newnham it was quiet and it just made me feel so calm. Not to mention how gorgeous the buildings and gardens are, which were also a big part of my choice. I could actually see myself being and studying there.

Its natural to worry about the all girls aspect, even as a direct applicant, there were times where i wasn't sure whether or not i wanted to go to an all girls college. I then decided that it was not a massive problem for me seen as most of my close friends are girls and its not like we'll completely be isolated from boys as lectures happen as part of the uni, not the college not to mention societies too. When i was at the interviews, i talked to several student helpers and some of them were also pooled (like some of you guys) and some said that they were a little hesitant at first, but now they love it and couldn't imagine themselves anywhere else- I'm sure you will love it too. (If you have any other questions-feel free to ask)

Also if you feel that you got an offer just because you're a girl remember that this is not the case- you got an offer because you are of a cambridge standard. Newnham rejects A LOT of direct applicant before interviews, and picks up a lot of pool-ees. They want girls of a cambridge standard; they dont give out offers simply because you are a girl.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna go to the offer holders day- I'll have to see and decide later :biggrin:

(Edit: as a natsci i also think it will be nice to have women supervisors. Only 2/8 of my teachers currently are female so it will be nice change. We need more women in STEM)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Nice one @Annamies !

I was definitely feeling like @apricotprincess_ to begin with, having been pooled. Being at girls boarding school atm I had been looking to uni as finally getting into the real/mixed world and saw Newnham also not as this.

Having spoken to some people on here, and my teachers about girls who have ended up there before, I was looking at it too negatively. All our lectures/labs will be mixed, societies are mixed, Cambridge clubs and bars are still mixed. You only have to spend as much time in college as you want to. The only difference is that we’ll be more proactive in finding a circle of friends outside of college sooner than others might be. What’s wrong with that? It’s not like boys aren’t allowed inside the gates :wink:

There’s so many advantages too. No misogyny in college. An environment that’s geared to giving women as many opportunities as possible. It has great funding to this end. No chance of a rugby laddish vibe. Anyone with a brother can appreciate having a boy-free haven to retreat to as well LOL.

We’ll be at a mixed university but living with girls. That’s not weird. Like most of my female friends who are at uni are living in flats with all girls.

It is also a v pretty college where you can go on the grass (!), accommodation looks lovely and I’m rlly looking forward to offer holders I’ll be there!!

Ngl when I saw the email from Newnham I was a bit taken by surprise but I’ve come round and come on. We got into CAMBRIDGE!!!
Hi guys! So I applied directly to Newnham to study Arabic, and I received my offer which I didn’t think I would because the stats showed they usually accepted more poolees than direct applicants.

I chose Newnham because I went to Selwyn College Summer School in the summer and the day it ended was open day, and Newnham was next door. I’m Pakistani so it was nice to see girls from different ethnicities in the college, not to mention the building itself was a mix of modern and traditional styles which I really liked.

I went to a girls secondary school and still had plenty of opportunity to interact with members of the opposite sex so the prospect of being isolated from men is hardly an issue for me at all. When I was at my interview, I met someone already studying at Newnham who said that she liked the fact that you don’t have to worry about being judged by men and you can walk around the college however you like.

Newnham is also right next to lectures and the prayer room which is perfect for me during Ramadan because I’m not a big fan of commuting long distances especially by walk. It’s not that far from town either!
Reply 6
hey guys!!

I applied as an open applicant and got randomly allocated to newnham! I am very grateful that I got a direct offer from them to study NatSci (Phys). I went to an all-girls secondary school and LOVED my experience. So, I’m really excited to go to Newnham. Plus, the college is so pretty!

I also like that the college is not in the main center where all the tourists are (where I was when I visited Cambridge a couple of years ago hahaha), I assume that it can get annoying.

Anyways, I really hope I meet my offer (I’m already done with my exams and am just waiting for my results). Hope to see you guys soon!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
I applied directly to Newnham for MML and am so excited to have been given an offer! I'm American, and in the US there is a storied history of women's colleges and the idea of learning from and alongside other women has always appealed to me. I really liked the faculty, too; many of the French fellows at Newnham have specialties in areas that interest me. Additionally, I fell in love with the beautiful gardens and the architecture!

@apricotprincess_, I wouldn't be too worried about being in a women's college. At least in the US, it's very common for girls to live in sorority houses, single-sex dorms, or even be a part of an all-women constituent college in a larger university (for example, I know lots of girls who go to Barnard College at Columbia University and they find that the balance between women's college and mixed university is very good). I imagine that the experience will be relatively similar at Cambridge - I think that lectures are mixed, we all sit the same exams, and there are lots of university-wide clubs.
Reply 8
Applied directly for History of Art! “No chance of a rugby laddish vibe”—couldn’t have said it better myself @Surfando. It always freaks me out that Trinity only opened to women in the 1970s. Newnham feels like a stronghold against all that misogyny (the “real world” doesn’t appeal much to me). Also the gardens and the library are beautiful. The room I stayed in over interviews was lovely and I really like the idea of having a kitchen (you don’t get nice single rooms and kitchen access in at US unis).

Can’t go to the offer holders’ day because I’m American but I’ll be there in October!!!
Hey, I'm the first year at Newnham at the moment doing History of Art and I'm really excited to have found someone with an offer!! If anyone has any questions to ask about Newnham then let me know and I'll do my best to give an honest answer!
Original post by panic!intheexam
Hey, I'm the first year at Newnham at the moment doing History of Art and I'm really excited to have found someone with an offer!! If anyone has any questions to ask about Newnham then let me know and I'll do my best to give an honest answer!

Heyy how much free time do you have? Does the work ever get overwhelming? Are there a lot of opportunities for parties/clubbing? Thank you so much for your help :smile:
Hi everyone!

I've got an offer from Newnham for Linguistics! Very exciting. I applied open option, and at first I was uncertain about the prospect of an all-female college, as I've always gone to a mixed comprehensive school, but honestly the more I read about it, i think it will be really great. The vibe was very positive at interview and the college is soo beautiful, i'm starting to think i would have applied directly anyway. i think the extent of the all girls environment can be overstated; as the friendly student that directed me to my interview said: "don't worry, when the fire alarm goes off in the night, a lot of boys come out of the building" :wink: . Looking forward to the offer holders day, maybe see some of you there!
Reply 13
Hi,
I got an offer for maths at Newnham (pooled). I’m going to the offer holder day! Anyone else on here for maths?
Reply 14
When you signed up for the offer holder day did anyone get any sort of confirmation?
Original post by Em777
When you signed up for the offer holder day did anyone get any sort of confirmation?

Nope
I'm a first year CompSci at Newnham if anyone wants to ask any questions (about Newnham in general or about CompSci)
Reply 17
Okay I have a really weird question... but is there anyone on here for Newnham Natsci (2019 entry) That would like to trade year of entry with me (so have their offer deferred: you would meet the conditions this year and then have a gap year with a place for the next year confirmed)?

My offer was deferred by the college because of my age. This is very impractical for me as I don’t want a gap year personally (my options are very limited because I’ll be 16) and the fees might increase substantially for me because I’m an EU student and brexit could possibly cost me £120,000+ extra.

Newnham has let me know that they could maybe let me enter this year if enough people reject the offer/ don’t meet the conditions, but if one of you would like a gap year that could be a solution as well.

Thanks so so much!! I think this might be a good two-way deal as you’ll get a gap year that is completely stress free, and I’ll possibly pay tenthousands of pounds less.
Original post by Annamies
Okay I have a really weird question... but is there anyone on here for Newnham Natsci (2019 entry) That would like to trade year of entry with me (so have their offer deferred: you would meet the conditions this year and then have a gap year with a place for the next year confirmed)?

My offer was deferred by the college because of my age. This is very impractical for me as I don’t want a gap year personally (my options are very limited because I’ll be 16) and the fees might increase substantially for me because I’m an EU student and brexit could possibly cost me £120,000+ extra.

Newnham has let me know that they could maybe let me enter this year if enough people reject the offer/ don’t meet the conditions, but if one of you would like a gap year that could be a solution as well.

Thanks so so much!! I think this might be a good two-way deal as you’ll get a gap year that is completely stress free, and I’ll possibly pay tenthousands of pounds less.

Hey, unfortunately i dont really wanna trade (ive never wanted to take a gap year) but i just wanted to let you know that of the people who get offers from newnham for natsci each year, around 5 either get rejected or don't accept the offer (from cambridge admissions stats), so like dont lose hope if you dont find anyone who wants to trade. Obviously you'd have to wait until a-level results day, which isnt ideal, but at least its an option for you.
Finally home from school and read my offer letter. Seems like they want us to write back to them to accept? Has anyone done anything about this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending