The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Accommodation questions? Ask us anything!

Hi All :smile:

We're hoping this thread can be a central place for you to ask us questions about accommodation.

Don't forget you can check our post-history to see if we've answered the same question before. Click on the "i" next to our logo on this post and 'find latest posts' - but our allocation policy is updated every year so don't be fooled by old information! If in doubt, just ask :cyber:

Who gets which accommodation is determined by our Accommodation Allocation Policy. The Policy is reviewed every year so it's important to read the policy relevant to the year you will be applying. The policy for 2019/20 hasn't been published yet - it will be available online from January.

Hopefully the information in this post will be useful and might answer some of your questions, but feel free to ask any others!

Accommodation is only open to students who have made us their firm choice, so if we're your insurance choice, we'll be giving you support, advice & info on finding accommodation in the private sector.

Once we open for accommodation applications in early March and after you have firmed your offer, we will send you an email inviting you to apply for accommodation. It can take a few days for all of the databases to communicate the refreshed information and the emails are sent once a week so don't panic if you don't get something through for a week or so after you firm-up with UCAS! There is no advantage to applying early because we use a random allocations process. As long as you apply by the deadline (end of June 2019) your application will be considered. You are no more likely to get accommodation or any of your preferences based on the date of your application.

Brighton isn't a campus university, we've got lots of locations in Brighton and Eastbourne. We aim to put as many students as possible in their closest accommodation location, but we can't guarantee that for all students. Luckily, travelling around Brighton is easy!

:train2: The local train company has a cheap ticket for students in Brighton and Eastbourne.

The normal service buses run 24 hours a day around Brighton and they do cheap student tickets too. The university has a free bus that runs between our halls and teaching sites in Brighton.

Eastbourne campus is about a mile from the town centre, which makes it around a 20 minute walk from the train station. There are regular buses too. You can find out more info on the Stagecoach website.

If halls isn't your thing, we provide lots of help with finding accommodation in the private sector, we have a facebook group, studenthomes website where landlords advertise properties and we give househunting help in the summer. You can get useful info about househunting in our guide (PDF Warning!) and our friendly Accommodation Team are here to help. You can find more info on our website

If you've got any other questions, ask away here or if it's a bit more private, drop us an email [email protected]

:badger:Shiv :badger:
Accommodation Team
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi there is it true that students applying that live in east sussex can’t be considered for halls ? Even with an unconditional offer ?
I’ve just heard mixed things and am not sure ? Thank you
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Hi

Local students can apply if they have mitigating circumstances, such as a medical condition, or poor transport links. You can get information about specific postcodes online once our allocation policy is updated later this month https://www.brighton.ac.uk/accommodation-and-locations/helping-you-find-your-home/allocation-policy/index.aspx

Unizone train tickets are available for dicounted travel to Uni https://www.southernrailway.com/tickets/discounts-and-railcards/unizone

You can drop us an email with your specific circumstances and we can help you further [email protected]

You can also get in touch around the start of term and we will consider you for rooms that become available.

Original post by Student Amber
Hi there is it true that students applying that live in east sussex can’t be considered for halls ? Even with an unconditional offer ?
I’ve just heard mixed things and am not sure ? Thank you
(edited 5 years ago)
What would be the best Halls choice for someone studying at Falmer - ie. is Varley easier to get into Brighton, and is the social life better there than if you are actually living at Falmer?
Hi

Falmer only has two halls of residence on site. However, Varley Park has more. Varley Park does have buses that serve it, like the 24 and also, currently, the free university shuttle bus runs across all Brighton sites. Falmer also has Brighton buses and the free shuttle bus but also has a train stop that allows for you to get to Brighton in about 10 mintues.

It might be worth using something like google maps to see the travel time between Varley and Falmer and then both sites to the town centre. You can also have a look at bus timetables on Brighton and Hove buses website: https://www.buses.co.uk/

In terms of social life, it really depends on what you want to do and where you want to be.

We hope this helps :smile:

Kind regards
Accommodation Services | University of Brighton
Student Operations and Support, University of Brighton,
The Manor House, Moulsecoomb Place, Brighton BN2 4GA
Tel 01273 644100| Web www.brighton.ac.uk/accommodation
Hi

I am interested in applying for accomodation at Moulsecoomb Place when applications for accomodation open, mainly because I have applied for Mechanical Engineering and will be mainly attending the Moulsecoomb campus. Ive been looking online for more info on the rooms available, but the website only shows a "standard room".
I was wondering wether there are any larger rooms, due to the double windows on the pitched roofs and was wondering if they were infact a larger room or all the rooms within the halls are the same?
If so, are there any images available of the room?
Another thing is that I will be attending the applicant day on the 13th of Feb and wanted to know if there were going to be any accomodation tours?
Thank you!

Regards,
Shane
Hi Shane

Moulsecoomb Place rooms are all largely the same size, other than some adapted rooms for students with mobility issues.

There will be tours of rooms in Moulsecoomb Place during the open day on 13th Feb. We look forward to seeing you then!

Cheeers
Shiv

Original post by ShanePotticary14
Hi

I am interested in applying for accomodation at Moulsecoomb Place when applications for accomodation open, mainly because I have applied for Mechanical Engineering and will be mainly attending the Moulsecoomb campus. Ive been looking online for more info on the rooms available, but the website only shows a "standard room".
I was wondering wether there are any larger rooms, due to the double windows on the pitched roofs and was wondering if they were infact a larger room or all the rooms within the halls are the same?
If so, are there any images available of the room?
Another thing is that I will be attending the applicant day on the 13th of Feb and wanted to know if there were going to be any accomodation tours?
Thank you!

Regards,
Shane
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi I was just wondering when the accommodation opened up as I have not yet received an email I know it’s this month but was just wondering if there was a date set ? Thank you!
Hi

It will be in the next week or so, we'll email you once it's open. Applications are open until 30th June and there's no advantage to applying early, so no rush!

Shiv
Accommodation Office

Original post by Student Amber
Hi I was just wondering when the accommodation opened up as I have not yet received an email I know it’s this month but was just wondering if there was a date set ? Thank you!
Hi,
I have received an email about applying for accommodation but I am unable to find the application for accommodation on student central. I'm not sure where it would be on student central.
Hi, the link to the application should be in the email.you received. It's not on Student Central.

Shiv
Accommodation Office
Original post by HollyParker
Hi,
I have received an email about applying for accommodation but I am unable to find the application for accommodation on student central. I'm not sure where it would be on student central.
i still haven't received my email about accommodation and haven't had much luck with enquires, has the email been sent out yet?
I think we emailed you about this a couple of hours ago? If you didn't receive the email, please contact us on [email protected]

Shiv
Accommodation Office
Original post by MadiBrwn
i still haven't received my email about accommodation and haven't had much luck with enquires, has the email been sent out yet?
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi So i'm going to apply for accommodation in Varley park as i will be studying in the Moulsecoomb campus and i was wondering how long will it take me to get from the accommodation to Moulsecoomb? Mainly i want to know if i would have to take a bus or can I easily walk it? Also do you have any suggestions of what accommodation in Varley park i should apply for as I want to go to one which is fun and upbeat as i like partying and clubbing, do you know which one is the best known for being fun?
Hi @kitphillips

Varley is about 1.7 miles from Moulsecoomb campus, so depending on your walking speed it will take around 25-30 minutes to walk.

There is a free shuttle bus you can use and the normal service buses run to Varley Park too.

Varley Park is our biggest residential site, so it is probably the most social.

When you make your accommodation application there are 4 possible room types you can choose at Varley Park

Self-catered, en-suite
Self-catered, shared bathrooms
Catered, en-suite
Catered, shared bathrooms

We also have halls at Moulsecoomb, the rooms there are Catered, shared bathrooms. Falmer has self-catered and catered options, both of which are en-suite. Phoenix has self-catered, en-suite rooms. You can also choose shared houses as one of your options.

We are always looking to expand our room stock, so it is possible that we may take on other properties in the city throughout the summer, if there are any newer halls available we will get in touch with you with further information when we sign them up.

Shiv
Accommodation Office
Do university accommodation have studios?
Hi

We do have some studios on campus. As they are limited, you need to make your accommodation application as normal, and email us to let us know you are interested in a studio.

Shiv
Accommodation Office

Original post by wardalaiq880
Do university accommodation have studios?
Hi, I've got a few questions, how often does the shuttle bus arrive at varley park, how long would it take to get to city campus from there and what times does it start and finish running? :smile:
Hi

The current timetable is available online here. It can vary slightly year-to-year but there shouldn't be any big changes. There's also useful travel information here and travel discounts here .

Hope this helps!

Shiv
Accommodation Office
Original post by Naomi5276
Hi, I've got a few questions, how often does the shuttle bus arrive at varley park, how long would it take to get to city campus from there and what times does it start and finish running? :smile:
Hi is there a specific date we should hear about our accommodation , if we have applied ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending