The Student Room Group

Could I qualify for a russell group university?

I'm gassed at my my interim papers for maths and psychology both coming at an A! I'm working my ass off to pick up from my failure of last year which has left me resitting a year. I'm intending to continue try-harding this till I can finally see an A on my results sheet but after that what's next. I realized that I might be viewed differently by universities for having shite GCSE's and resitting a year. But how bad will it be?

My aim is to get into Birmingham University but I'm afraid that my lack of effort in the past is going to affect me in the future. I'm willing to resit some of my GCSE's next year to bring my maths from a B to an A and numeracy to a B but I'm scared that I won't even hold a flame to the other applicants.

Does anyone have an idea of whether I'd even make it to a russell group such as Brum or Durham (another one of my dream schools) ?

Scroll to see replies

It’s only really Oxbridge that care about GCSEs. I have relatively average GCSEs (1 9, 8, A* two A*s and the rest Bs and one C) and I’ve got into two Russell groups (Though waiting on Durham). You’ll be fine; it’s your A Levels that hold significantly more weight.
Original post by nightisdark
It’s only really Oxbridge that care about GCSEs. I have relatively average GCSEs (1 9, 8, A* two A*s and the rest Bs and one C) and I’ve got into two Russell groups (Though waiting on Durham). You’ll be fine; it’s your A Levels that hold significantly more weight.

Thanks. That's a relief to read!
Reply 3
Original post by AmLostPlsHelp
having shite GCSE's

Specifically what grades?

It's very unlikely resitting your GCSEs will be of any benefit and it's more likely to distract you from doing well in your A-levels. So long as your GCSEs meet the *minimum* requirements for your course/university they aren't usually that important.
Original post by Doonesbury
Specifically what grades?

It's very unlikely resitting your GCSEs will be of any benefit and it's more likely to distract you from doing well in your A-levels. So long as your GCSEs meet the *minimum* requirements for your course/university they aren't usually that important.

I have achieved 5 A-C's with 1A*, 1A, 4B's and rest C's and D's. I have B's in English Lit and Maths but C's in Numeracy and Language. It was bad for me as I came out of mocks with A* predictions but I lost all hope and motivation as my mental health spiraled out of control.
Reply 5
I have achieved 5 A-C's with 1A*, 1A, 4B's and rest C's and D's. I have B's in English Lit and Maths but C's in Numeracy and Language. It was bad for me as I came out of mocks with A* predictions but I lost all hope and motivation as my mental health spiraled out of control.

You'll be fine for most courses at most universities including RG. And your Maths grade is more important than your Numeracy grade.

Which course are you considering at university?
You'll be fine for most courses at most universities including RG. And your Maths grade is more important than your Numeracy grade.

Which course are you considering at university?

Psychology mainly but I’m not entirely sure cause I’ve heard it’s hard to get job with that degree.
Reply 7
Psychology mainly but I’m not entirely sure cause I’ve heard it’s hard to get job with that degree.

For Psychology Durham requires a B in Maths, and a C in English Language
For Psychology Durham requires a B in Maths, and a C in English Language

That’s amazing! I might yet have a chance a slim one but still. Thanks for letting me know
Original post by happbee
OP - only the universities can tell you that. If you meet their requirements as specified on course pages then you’ll most likely get an offer. It’s really that simple!

What course are you applying for?

Psychology hopefully
Psychology hopefully

So, you’re hoping to get three As at A Level?
Looks like their only other GCSE requirement is a B in Maths, which you have.

As someone who is worried about academic performance, why not apply to Russell Group unis with slightly lower requirements? Manchester for example want AAB and five GCSEs minimum grade B.
Original post by happbee
So, you’re hoping to get three As at A Level?
Looks like their only other GCSE requirement is a B in Maths, which you have.

As someone who is worried about academic performance, why not apply to Russell Group unis with slightly lower requirements? Manchester for example want AAB and five GCSEs minimum grade B.

I would but I read that you need 5 B’s for Manchester @ GCSE
I would but I read that you need 5 B’s for Manchester @ GCSE

You said you have 1A*, 1A and 4B (rest C and D) at GCSE. So, congrats, you have 5 GCSEs minimum grade B!
Original post by happbee
You said you have 1A*, 1A and 4B (rest C and D) at GCSE. So, congrats, you have 5 GCSEs minimum grade B!

Yeah but still even so what put me off is just on the basis of needing those grades especially with it’s high amount of applications ( I wanted to apply last year so I did some research) I felt like I wouldn’t even stand a chance. I may have above the requirements but even so I don’t feel like I could make it
Original post by happbee
As someone who went to a Russell Group having MISSED THEIR OFFER AT A LEVEL I can tell you you absolutely have a chance. No ifs, no buts, no question about it. Unis want to fill their places with able and adequate students. If you meet the grade requirements, you meet their requirements. It’s as simple as that! Call the unis if you are worried.

I would also say - don’t automaticallt reject non Russell Group unis either. There are some fab institutions who would give you a great education. The Russell Group is a self formed research group, after all, nothing to do with teaching.

Yeah I guess so. I’ve heard of plenty of non-RG’s that are pretty good but like most of the unis I’d like attend are RG so that’s my reason. Maybe I’ll try Manchester, It now just depends on whether I can get an A. It seems really possible this year as I’m
no longer struggling with handling myself and last year has given me a kick up the arse. Thanks for your advice!
Yeah I guess so. I’ve heard of plenty of non-RG’s that are pretty good but like most of the unis I’d like attend are RG so that’s my reason. Maybe I’ll try Manchester, It now just depends on whether I can get an A. It seems really possible this year as I’m
no longer struggling with handling myself and last year has given me a kick up the arse. Thanks for your advice!

Manchester is a great uni. But so is Liverpool, who want ABB. If you like Manchester as a city, there’s also Man Met who want BBB :smile:

You’re v welcome. I understand how it feels to struggle with handling school etc. I was there in year 13 (hence I missed my offer!) let me know if you need anything else!
Ffs TSR users gotta start using terms like ‘top universities’ or ‘higher ranking’ or ‘respectable’ instead of Russell Group. They’re not synonymous.
The main issue here is if your applying for September places like Durham will probably have filled all their places. You need to check what universities still have places before you apply as you have missed the deadline for equal consideration. Your GCSE performance is unlikely to affect your chances in most universities.
I'm gassed at my my interim papers for maths and psychology both coming at an A! I'm working my ass off to pick up from my failure of last year which has left me resitting a year. I'm intending to continue try-harding this till I can finally see an A on my results sheet but after that what's next. I realized that I might be viewed differently by universities for having shite GCSE's and resitting a year. But how bad will it be?

My aim is to get into Birmingham University but I'm afraid that my lack of effort in the past is going to affect me in the future. I'm willing to resit some of my GCSE's next year to bring my maths from a B to an A and numeracy to a B but I'm scared that I won't even hold a flame to the other applicants.

Does anyone have an idea of whether I'd even make it to a russell group such as Brum or Durham (another one of my dream schools) ?

You would have a good chance of getting offers from Unis like Birmingham with your grades and predicted grades and as already mentioned, you don't need to resit GCSE maths and it would be better to focus on your A levels instead.

I understand that you feel nervous about applying to the RG Unis that interest you, but remember that you have 5 choices on the UCAS form, so 5 chances of success. Even is one or two did reject you, you could still get other great offers and it's good to aim high if you're also being realistic (which it seems you are).

Check the entry requirements for the course you want, it will say if specific GCSE grades are required. I got all C’s at GCSE’s and am now doing an access course and got an offer to study Palaeontology and Geology at the university of Birmingham from September 2019. GCSE’s aren’t a huge deal unless you’re applying for medicine really. As long as you can show improvement from GCSE to A Level/whatever level 3 you’re taking they will consider you. Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest