The Student Room Group

Under-25s only: Is the new Gillette ad man-hating or pro-humanity?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by darkshadow1111
Let me give you another example. Lets say a company that predominately caters for black people, you can use ORS (a afro beauty company) as an example releases an advert similar to this but basically trying to tell us black people we could do better. The advert starts off with countless examples of gang stabbing, shooting etc and famous cases of black criminals. It then goes to show a few good clips of some black people trying to stop some fights, doing some community work and then ends with something like " we black people could be better". Wouldn't you think that's somewhat out of line. I know as a black guy that would piss me right off.

I'd hope that wouldn't piss me off as black girl. It shows things that issues that do need to be solved in the black community(some black ppl doing bad things doesn't make black ppl bad, neither does doing bad things necessarily make you a bad person especially as it may be cause by socio-economic factors?) and then some black ppl help to solve the issue. Or maybe I don't get it and cos I'm a girl.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Obolinda
I'd hope that wouldn't piss me off as black girl. It shows things that issues that do need to be solved in the black community(some black ppl doing bad things doesn't make black ppl bad, neither does doing bad things necessarily make you a bad person especially as it may be cause by socio-economic factors?) and then some black ppl help to solve the issue. Or maybe I don't get it and cos I'm a girl.

I'd guess the advert they're referring to mainly relates to black men, but surely you can see how an advert picking apart at a group of people, letting them know what failures they are, and telling them to just "be better", is not very nice.
Original post by randomsheep11
I'd guess the advert they're referring to mainly relates to black men, but surely you can see how an advert picking apart at a group of people, letting them know what failures they are, and telling them to just "be better", is not very nice.

Yh sure, I understand why ppl may be bothered by it but I can't help thinking it really isn't that big a deal. I guess the Gillette ad did show practical "solutions" at the end of the video tho.
Original post by Other_Owl
Piers Morgan is always moaning.

fair enough....but women are forever complaining as well.
The advert itself is fine, but given they sell razor heads that cost 5p to make with a ~5000% markup, and parent company Procter and Gamble sources palm oil from plantations run on slave labour, I'd rather not pretend they're socially responsible as a result of this. They're as bad as every other major corporation.
Original post by Allie4
it included clips of men breaking up fights and telling others not to wolf whistle - basically advertising doing the right thing - why does that make it a man-hating advert?

should guys just be left to beat the sh*t out of each other and free to wolf whistle at your sister and girlfriend??

because it associates negative traits with an entire gender. It is the deifntion of sexism.

Had this advert been about women, I am sure the good majoirty of you would be crying about it for the rest of enternity.
Reply 46

wish i could rep this six times. thanks for sharing :smile:
Original post by ThomH97
It's not trying to say all problems are men's fault, but it did highlight several that aren't but portray them as if they are. The patriarchy, in whatever form you think it exists, is not the random guy taking his kid to school or doing the barbecue. Don't blame those guys for what you're blaming patriarchy for. They have no more power in this world than the random woman taking her kid to school or doing the barbecue, but apparently women are not expected to stop kids fighting or bullying, for some reason.

The only things in the advert that men do have more power in than women is to (perhaps) stop their buddy/another man from sexually harassing a woman. This is indeed a good aspiration, but crucially, this should be commended and not demanded, by law nor society. It is commendable for someone to say please and thank you, all the way through to running into a burning building to save a baby, but to demand such behaviour with the implication of fault for any bad outcomes that occur (someone feeling a bit miffed to a baby burning alive, for example) is simply not on. Then to dump those demands on only one gender rather than society as a whole is very plainly sexist.

We could also look at the other side of this, which is saying women are useless apart from hugging their crying sons after they have been bullied. Do you believe that to be true? Gillette advertise products to women too, after all.

Also worth mentioning that bullying isn't in the slightest limited to boys. Some girls at school were really nasty.

Really? You wouldn't even feel just a little bit condescended and insulted by an ad that is basically just criticising your demographic and telling you to be better people, as though you're collectively guilty of being scumbags?
Original post by Joleee
wish i could rep this six times. thanks for sharing :smile:

Lol, thank you
Reply 50
Original post by candokoala
We're interested in the opinions of just our younger members.

Do you like Gillette's "We believe: The best men can be" ad campaign?

Piers Morgan called it "man-hating bullsh*t", but Bernice King said it was "pro-humanity." What do you think?

Does it tar all men with the same "toxic male" brush, or does it promote a new, better kind of masculinity?

Feel free to discuss below!

Why is the damn pool so discriminatory? "Younger members." What, is 25 old then? :rolleyes: I'm voting anyway, sue me.

Yep, Gillette sure loves respecting women!
If you ask me guys.... just stop buying the stupid razors. There are plenty of cheaper razors made by less hypocritical virtue-signalling companies. Lets be honest, whining on online platforms doesn't help anyone, it wastes your time.

Do the manly thing, dont buy it and carry on with your day.
I haven't seen it.
Original post by Dandaman1
The ad might be well-intentioned, but it comes across as preachy, condescending and a tad insulting. Imagine a Venus ad telling women not to be gossipy, dramatic and passive aggressive.

that would be mint and totally necessary of an ad :laugh:
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I haven't seen it.

you should change your handle to guywholivesunderarock
Original post by Chief Wiggum

The ultimate degrading cruelty is putting blondie bottom far right, who has no arse to speak of, near red roots.
Original post by Chief Wiggum

Bottom row, third from the left. Would nail.
You wouldn’t think this was an advert for a company that sells razors would you?
Reply 59
I think the ad was great. A lot of people missed the point - it wasn’t blaming all males for the actions of some, it was saying that the males that are actually decent should step in and intervene when they see their male counterparts doing something *****y. Males that are getting mad at this ad prove the message it is sending

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending