The Student Room Group

Gilette releases commercial criticising rape culture

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tawheed
Perhaps. Maybe i think too highly of them , in the sense that i assume they have the money to recognise that the internet is very much against whatever agenda mainstream media outlets seem to promote. There has been a rise in thinkers such as Jordan Peterson , movements such as MGTOW, and Feminism appears to be a label many women find problematic to affiliate with these days.

the daily mail article linked earlier went into a bit of detail about how the advert came about - and it seems that the company was on the right line of thinking. They wanted something progressive, inclusive, sending out a message that young people would love etc.

But they ended up choosing quite a radical marketing company and ad dirrector, who took them in the wrong dirrection.

The idea of going progressive is still a winner financially though - they just did it wrong. Look the dollar-shave-club's.. really inclusive and progressive with trans people, gay people, men, women, different races, different body shapes etc. No major backlash, great reaction online.

I don't like the 'get woke, go broke' tag line that the right is going for.. because its just not true.. they just pick out companies who try and send out a progressive message and fail, and claim that progressive action in companies fail, whilst ignoring the masses of companies who have ran highly successful progressive campaigns that have brought in huge returns.

For example.. they say film studios are going broke because of their action.. yet ignore that for every star wars that is hurt by pushing in a progressive direction, there is a marvel who pushes in the same direction but in a better way and makes billions.
Original post by fallen_acorns
the daily mail article linked earlier went into a bit of detail about how the advert came about - and it seems that the company was on the right line of thinking. They wanted something progressive, inclusive, sending out a message that young people would love etc.

But they ended up choosing quite a radical marketing company and ad dirrector, who took them in the wrong dirrection.

The idea of going progressive is still a winner financially though - they just did it wrong. Look the dollar-shave-club's.. really inclusive and progressive with trans people, gay people, men, women, different races, different body shapes etc. No major backlash, great reaction online.

I don't like the 'get woke, go broke' tag line that the right is going for.. because its just not true.. they just pick out companies who try and send out a progressive message and fail, and claim that progressive action in companies fail, whilst ignoring the masses of companies who have ran highly successful progressive campaigns that have brought in huge returns.

For example.. they say film studios are going broke because of their action.. yet ignore that for every star wars that is hurt by pushing in a progressive direction, there is a marvel who pushes in the same direction but in a better way and makes billions.

"Get woke, go broke" pertains primarily to situations where companies do miscalculated, cringey SJW things, not necessarily to situations where they are simply being progressive. When the political message is too on-the-nose, stupid, or insulting, it will get a bad reaction.
Original post by Dandaman1
"Get woke, go broke" pertains primarily to situations where companies do miscalculated, cringey SJW things, not necessarily to situations where they are simply being progressive. When the political message is too on-the-nose, stupid, or insulting, it will get a bad reaction.

then it serves no purpose? If woke is not a synonymy for leftist/"progressive" in this case, then whats the point?

I thought it was:

companies who go in a lefty dirrection - tend to fail (something I wish was true, but I see no evidence of)

if its actually

companies who go in a lefty dirrection in a badly implimented fashion - tend to fail

then.. well.. obviously. whats the point? If a comapany goes in any dirrection in a bad/cringy/miscalculated fashion, they are likely to fail?
then it serves no purpose? If woke is not a synonymy for leftist/"progressive" in this case, then whats the point?

I thought it was:

companies who go in a lefty dirrection - tend to fail (something I wish was true, but I see no evidence of)

if its actually

companies who go in a lefty dirrection in a badly implimented fashion - tend to fail

then.. well.. obviously. whats the point? If a comapany goes in any dirrection in a bad/cringy/miscalculated fashion, they are likely to fail?

It does serve a purpose - it refers to when companies **** up in pursuit of a progressive political goal.
It does serve a purpose - it refers to when companies **** up in pursuit of a progressive political goal.

but above you said that they didn't **** up BECAUSE of the progressive goal..

they ****ed up because of they implemented or worked towards the progressive goal?

so its less 'get woke go broke'
and more 'make bad business decisions go broke

if its all about implementation, and not about the ideology itself, then I don't see the point.
but above you said that they didn't **** up BECAUSE of the progressive goal..

they ****ed up because of they implemented or worked towards the progressive goal?

so its less 'get woke go broke'
and more 'make bad business decisions go broke

if its all about implementation, and not about the ideology itself, then I don't see the point.

Maybe I'm not wording this well.

Sometimes companies try to be progressive to sell things. Sometimes they end up being a little too progressive, or stupid, or very cringey, for which the word 'woke' is used in a more derogatory context, and the phrase "Get woke, go broke" is used in response, because 'woke' in this context doesn't simply mean 'progressive', but annoyingly and/or stupidly so.
Woke Capitalism
I've lived for 18 years and have never disrespected a female, nor have I in my everyday life seen men disrespecting females. But thanks for the patronising video!
It's akin to making a video that targets mainstream white people and tells them to stop being nazis, or telling mainstream black people to stop stabbing, or telling mainstream muslims to stop blowing themselves up, or telling mainstream jews to stop their wall street antics... you get the point
"Gillette, the best a beta man can get..."
"Buy our razors and get woke, you mansplaining rapists!"

I mean, they could have promoted desirable traits in men without condescendingly criticising us about the bad, stereotypical ones... That's why people are annoyed. It feels more like a knock at men rather than a positive message. Some people also don't respond well to moral lecturing in advertising.

Well it is the ‘bad stereotypical ones’ that are still getting away with sexual harassment. Even when a woman tries to report sexual harassment to the police or in the workplace, most of the time nothing is ever done about it because somehow it is still seen as acceptable by some men to slap a woman’s bum or touch her breast.

The advert was addressing this issue. Sadly, a lot of men still excuse this behaviour with ‘boys will be boys.’

The fact that you think the advert is ‘morally lecturing’ you just because it is trying to tell men to stand up to sexual harassment is quite worrying.
Original post by Humz007
I've lived for 18 years and have never disrespected a female, nor have I in my everyday life seen men disrespecting females. But thanks for the patronising video!
It's akin to making a video that targets mainstream white people and tells them to stop being nazis, or telling mainstream black people to stop stabbing, or telling mainstream muslims to stop blowing themselves up, or telling mainstream jews to stop their wall street antics... you get the point

Men do disrespect and harass women. It’s happened to me. Just because you have not witnessed it yourself, it doesn’t mean it is not still an issue.
Hilarious how Gillette is deleting loads of negative comments to the videos as well as dislikes. I’ve had to re-dislike the video 3 or 4 times because they keep cancelling my dislike :rofl:
Original post by AperfectBalance
With the very unbiased choices of "Man hating bullsh*t" or "pro-humanity" yeah nice.

The statements are taken from quotes referenced in the article, both of which are comments made in the media about this issue. :smile:
I'd hope you can come up with a better and less biased way of phrasing the question.

"man hating or solving toxic masculinity" would be more apt, and less sensationalist then "pro-humanity"

it would be like making an abortion poll and saying

"pro-life or murdering helpless unborn babies" what do you think? - clearly its not a fair and unbiased way of stating the question.

I get that your taking quotes from others - but again, you could probably find more reasonable descriptions given by others to go by.

In the article we've written, we talk about both sides of the argument, and the poll questions are just in reference to statements which have been made in the media about this issue, both of which are in the article for a bit more context. :smile: I see what you're saying, but we also deliberately wrote the article to explain what's happening in a bit more depth. :smile:
Original post by Homo Fuge
Well it is the ‘bad stereotypical ones’ that are still getting away with sexual harassment. Even when a woman tries to report sexual harassment to the police or in the workplace, most of the time nothing is ever done about it because somehow it is still seen as acceptable by some men to slap a woman’s bum or touch her breast.

The advert was addressing this issue. Sadly, a lot of men still excuse this behaviour with ‘boys will be boys.’

The fact that you think the advert is ‘morally lecturing’ you just because it is trying to tell men to stand up to sexual harassment is quite worrying.

That behaviour is not seen as acceptable in the 21st century workplace and will typically get a man disciplined or fired. Most men don't go around groping women, saying "boys will be boys! " and getting off the hook. It will get you in trouble. It's not 1955 (though even then men could still get in trouble.) If I walked over and grabbed my female coworker's butt right now I'd be kissing my job goodbye.

This advertisement is a condescending moral lecture because most men do not behave this way and know not to behave this way, so it's insulting when an ad wags its finger at men like we're a bunch of misogynystic, poorly behaved animals. It also shows very exaggerated scenarios. That's why the ad has gone down so poorly.

Again, imagine a Venus ad depicting women as catty, gossipy, passive aggressive, gold-digging child abusers, and then tells them how to behave themselves. It would not go down well either.
we should deport gilette
Original post by TommyDH
Not really. Look at game companies that have gone the same way. They're bankrupting themselves. Buzzfeed too is on the verge of bankruptcy. Film studios are starting to struggle with their profits slowly being eaten away year by year as they keep stubbornly attempting to prop up this evil far left totalitarian ideology of theirs.

'Get woke go broke.'

I don't think the feminists that are destroying these companies care that they are destroying them. I don't think the people that do these things at P&G give a hoot that this is going to loose the company millions. They will peddle their feminist agenda at the cost of anything.

Netflix has lost hundreds of millions of dollars trying to peddle feminist flix. Hundres of millions of dollars. In 2017 they lost 300 million dollars on just two shows peddling feminism, The Girl Boss and The Get Down, both of which bombed miserably and were cancelled. The majority of people in society find this ideology and its ideas and teachings very toxic. Yet Netflix carries on with indifference. They recently banned flirting amongst collegues at their film sets. I kid you not.

Another example is our NUS, which spend millions of pounds every year on feminist programmes. It is going bankrupt peddling feminism. Yet they carry on.

These companies, which have become heavily feminised, will carry on with their feminist propaganda regardless of whether or not they loose money. These companies have been taken over by political extremists who measure their profit and loss not by the money that goes in and out fo the company but by the benefits that they earn their political identity group and their political ideology. All they care about is their political agenda. They do not care for the loss of money. This money largely comes from the male population which accounts for the majority of taxes and investment. These feminists will carry on in their ways so long as men carry on funding them and the companies that they work for. They will carry on so long as men remain silent to their abuses in society. 60 years of feminism has rendered the good majority of men very docile, ignorant and submissive...but thankfully, many of them are waking up now, but only because they are being forced to wake up.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Hilarious how Gillette is deleting loads of negative comments to the videos as well as dislikes. I’ve had to re-dislike the video 3 or 4 times because they keep cancelling my dislike :rofl:

Can anyone point me to something that shows they can actually do that, re dislikes?

Seems to me it would be sort of a weird functionality for youtube to build in...
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Can anyone point me to something that shows they can actually do that, re dislikes?

Seems to me it would be sort of a weird functionality for youtube to build in...

When you have an account on YouTube and you like or dislike a video, the thumbs up or thumbs down turns blue, letting you know that it’s worked. Every time I go back to the advert, my thumbs down has gone back to grey. I then checked the comments underneath the video and loads of people were saying the same thing, that they’ve had to dislike it several times. And that at some point it had X dislikes and that when they checked a few hours later, the dislikes had massively decreased. It's also being said that Gillette is using bots to remove dislikes and provide likes.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
When you have an account on YouTube and you like or dislike a video, the thumbs up or thumbs down turns blue, letting you know that it’s worked. Every time I go back to the advert, my thumbs down has gone back to grey. I then checked the comments underneath the video and loads of people were saying the same thing, that they’ve had to dislike it several times. And that at some point it had X dislikes and that when they checked a few hours later, the dislikes had massively decreased. It's also being said that Gillette is using bots to remove dislikes and provide likes.

Yeah, I've seen the comments.

I'm not saying that that necessarily isn't what's happening. I'd just be more ready to accept it as fact if I could see some explanation of exactly how they're doing it, which uploaders have access to that feature, why youtube would allow that, and so forth.

I don't have another good explanation of what is going on. It does occur to me, however, that people probably don't usually return to clips they've disliked, and so probably don't usually know if their dislikes have properly registered or not. Maybe this is a common problem with youtube that only gets picked up on when there's a really controversial video that a lot of people want to see continuing to pick up dislikes.

For my own part, I disliked it early and my dislike has stuck. Each time I go on the video it has more dislikes than the last time :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending