The Student Room Group

Wanting to apply for a masters, but I don't have a reference?

I graduated with a 2.1 so it should hopefully be enough to be accepted for a masters. During my last year I ended up ill the whole year so I wasn't at all my lectures and tutorials and got quite a lot of extensions on my assignments.

The majority of my lectures had loads of people so if the lectures do remember my name it's probably from all the emails. I'm scared they might give me a bad reference or not one at all..

One of the lecturers who know me, she knew me personally, but I did really badly on the module I got 59% overall. This was a class of less than 5 so she knows me but I'm worried I wouldn't get a good reference.

Another module the lecturer knew me, because I'm well very opinionated and some strong opinions on someone who got added to my group assignment and I complained a lot to him. I did however get 83% on this module overall.

There is one more lecturer who knows me but I don't know whether he would give me a good reference.

I have only just decided I wanted to do a masters and so I haven't spoken to any of these lecturers since exam time.

It's unlikely my boss would give me a reference since my masters is completely unrelated to the job and I haven't been to work in a few months.
Original post by Shaliina

No one can give you a bad ref. It just may not be a strong one. You need to go and speak to these people and find out if they'd be willing to write you a ref and if they have any advice for you.
Reply 2
I am not sure about Oxbridge UCL etc, but most universities only ask for a "successful" reference (i.e. someone who will actually recommend you is most probably good enough). I didn't even have a 59% in any of my referees modules but they were good enough to land me a 100% (conditional) offer rate (#10 to #30 ranked unis). If your overall application isn't trash (for example, don't bother to write a PS / write a terrible one) you have the money and there are places, you're in...
Great
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
No one can give you a bad ref. It just may not be a strong one. You need to go and speak to these people and find out if they'd be willing to write you a ref and if they have any advice for you.

As in speak to them in person, I' hate to be rejected in person. Unless they have no clue who I am
Reply 5
Original post by Sentenced_to
I am not sure about Oxbridge UCL etc, but most universities only ask for a "successful" reference (i.e. someone who will actually recommend you is most probably good enough). I didn't even have a 59% in any of my referees modules but they were good enough to land me a 100% (conditional) offer rate (#10 to #30 ranked unis). If your overall application isn't trash (for example, don't bother to write a PS / write a terrible one) you have the money and there are places, you're in...

The uni I'm applying to is the one that I got my degree at, I don't know if it makes it harder or easier to be accepted.

Is the personal statement not the main part of the application, because the rest is just my education and work history, I'm pretty sure anyway.
Join to Birmingham City University
Reply 7
The uni I'm applying to is the one that I got my degree at, I don't know if it makes it harder or easier to be accepted.

It is generally easier. Will you be getting an alumni discount, too?
What’s ur degree qualification ? I also willing to follow masters
As in speak to them in person, I' hate to be rejected in person. Unless they have no clue who I am

Lots of conversations in your life will be difficult. You can't run away from them if you want something from them. If you don't mind not having a ref it's fine. Good luck!
I graduated with a 2.1 so it should hopefully be enough to be accepted for a masters. During my last year I ended up ill the whole year so I wasn't at all my lectures and tutorials and got quite a lot of extensions on my assignments.

The majority of my lectures had loads of people so if the lectures do remember my name it's probably from all the emails. I'm scared they might give me a bad reference or not one at all..

One of the lecturers who know me, she knew me personally, but I did really badly on the module I got 59% overall. This was a class of less than 5 so she knows me but I'm worried I wouldn't get a good reference.

Another module the lecturer knew me, because I'm well very opinionated and some strong opinions on someone who got added to my group assignment and I complained a lot to him. I did however get 83% on this module overall.

There is one more lecturer who knows me but I don't know whether he would give me a good reference.

I have only just decided I wanted to do a masters and so I haven't spoken to any of these lecturers since exam time.

It's unlikely my boss would give me a reference since my masters is completely unrelated to the job and I haven't been to work in a few months.

this is why references is a stupid and, I'll go as far as to say, discriminatory and degrading recruiting tradition. It's totally 1970s to need someone in a position of power and to have unnecessary control over your life, to put your fate in their hands after all the time and effort you put in, and to have someone unrelated to your future determine or jeopardise it. It's very "glass ceiling" of people to ask for a reference. It sounds like a lot of degrading arse kissing and ego stroking and this tradition shouldnt be perpetuated and I will say it every time. I beat it over my manager's head and he hired me lol. In your case, the proof that someone attended uni and has qualifying grades should be enough to enter the program. All I can say is good luck groveling. Or ask someone who is pursuing their Master's just how they were able to do it.
Reply 11
Original post by Sentenced_to
It is generally easier. Will you be getting an alumni discount, too?

Yeah I will get discount, it's only 20% but better than full price, main reason I want to go back there
Reply 12
Original post by Alyoosuff
What’s ur degree qualification ? I also willing to follow masters

I got a 2.1
Reply 13
Original post by alleycat393
Lots of conversations in your life will be difficult. You can't run away from them if you want something from them. If you don't mind not having a ref it's fine. Good luck!

I'm going to email all of them and hopefully one is nice enough and does remember me to give a reference.
Reply 14
Original post by Bang Outta Order
this is why references is a stupid and, I'll go as far as to say, discriminatory and degrading recruiting tradition. It's totally 1970s to need someone in a position of power and to have unnecessary control over your life, to put your fate in their hands after all the time and effort you put in, and to have someone unrelated to your future determine or jeopardise it. It's very "glass ceiling" of people to ask for a reference. It sounds like a lot of degrading arse kissing and ego stroking and this tradition shouldnt be perpetuated and I will say it every time. I beat it over my manager's head and he hired me lol. In your case, the proof that someone attended uni and has qualifying grades should be enough to enter the program. All I can say is good luck groveling. Or ask someone who is pursuing their Master's just how they were able to do it.

I asked someone whose starting their masters, same uni as me, and she didn't need a reference. She got into the masters without one but I need one and I'm not sure why. It's on the application that I need one though. I hate the concept of references, though I just use a teacher I had around 8 years ago, when I apply for jobs because I can never use any of my employers
Reply 15

I think all of the above reasons are why my university at undergrad stated from the beginning of third year that the two references for applications would be 1) your supervisor for your dissertation and 2) your personal tutor.

The majority of people thought having a personal tutor was a waste of time (unless you had cirumstances where you needed help) so many did not comply with the compulsory one meeting a month to catch up. I knew I'd need a reference so made a good rapport with my personal tutor who was also the programme leader.

Did you get a personal tutor? Can you contact your dissertation supervisor? These two would be ideal and easy references :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Salll93
I think all of the above reasons are why my university at undergrad stated from the beginning of third year that the two references for applications would be 1) your supervisor for your dissertation and 2) your personal tutor.

The majority of people thought having a personal tutor was a waste of time (unless you had cirumstances where you needed help) so many did not comply with the compulsory one meeting a month to catch up. I knew I'd need a reference so made a good rapport with my personal tutor who was also the programme leader.

Did you get a personal tutor? Can you contact your dissertation supervisor? These two would be ideal and easy references :smile:

I didn't actually do a dissertation, I'm hoping I still have a chance of being accepted without having done one. I also never had a tutor for my course or a personal one there was about 5 students, so think they didn't bother. I've now seen that it's optional so I'm hoping I can get away with not having a reference
Reply 17
I didn't actually do a dissertation, I'm hoping I still have a chance of being accepted without having done one. I also never had a tutor for my course or a personal one there was about 5 students, so think they didn't bother. I've now seen that it's optional so I'm hoping I can get away with not having a reference

You are definitely overthinking it.

a) Get out there and get a reference from anyone willing to do so (most probably any tutor that you can think of, will).
b) Prepare and send your application.
c) Be happy.

:ciao:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending