The Student Room Group

Access to Higher education and Advanced Learner Loan

I am looking to getting back into study after several years away. I am thinking of doing an Access to HE either Science, Social Science, etc.

I have never applied for an advanced learner loan funding before from Student Finance England and never applied for a Higher Education Funding before from Student Finance England.

Is it true that previous qualifications would not prevent me from applying for and being awarded my first Advanced Learner Loan towards an Access to HE course and have this written off once completing an approved Higher Education course?

I already have an Access to HE in Health Studies awarded I think in 2003 (self funded) and a Diploma of Higher Education in Health Care Studies in 2007 (NHS funded). I also have an NVQ 2 accounting awarded in 1997 and an AS-level Law in 2009 and GCSE maths and English in 2014.
Original post by MIY
I am looking to getting back into study after several years away. I am thinking of doing an Access to HE either Science, Social Science, etc.

I have never applied for an advanced learner loan funding before from Student Finance England and never applied for a Higher Education Funding before from Student Finance England.

Is it true that previous qualifications would not prevent me from applying for and being awarded my first Advanced Learner Loan towards an Access to HE course and have this written off once completing an approved Higher Education course?

I already have an Access to HE in Health Studies awarded I think in 2003 (self funded) and a Diploma of Higher Education in Health Care Studies in 2007 (NHS funded). I also have an NVQ 2 accounting awarded in 1997 and an AS-level Law in 2009 and GCSE maths and English in 2014.

Hello,

When you apply for an Advanced Learner Loan, we don’t take in to account any previous further education, unless it was funded by Advanced Learner Loans.

If you take a Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) approved Higher Education (HE) Access Diploma course funded by Advanced Learner Loans and then complete a HE course, the remaining balance of your loan, including interest, will be written off. The Learning Provider will be able to confirm whether their course is QAA approved.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Sorry to jump on this post! I am hoping to start an Access to HE Health Sciences course in September. I already have an LLB Law with Business degree which I completed in 2008. I am hoping to do a BSc Speech and Language degree however as its been over a decade since I completed my degree, I want to do an access course before.Will I still be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan even though I already have a degree? I had a student loan for my previous degree and did not have to pay for fees because of my familiy's low income. I was 19 when I started that degree. If i then go on to study a speech and language degree will the Advanced Learner Loan be written off?Also, do you know if there is any other financial support available whilst studying on the Access course?Thanks in advance.
Original post by speechie_85
Sorry to jump on this post! I am hoping to start an Access to HE Health Sciences course in September. I already have an LLB Law with Business degree which I completed in 2008. I am hoping to do a BSc Speech and Language degree however as its been over a decade since I completed my degree, I want to do an access course before.Will I still be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan even though I already have a degree? I had a student loan for my previous degree and did not have to pay for fees because of my familiy's low income. I was 19 when I started that degree. If i then go on to study a speech and language degree will the Advanced Learner Loan be written off?Also, do you know if there is any other financial support available whilst studying on the Access course?Thanks in advance.

Hi,

For the Further Education bit of your query: Have you had any Advanced Learner Loans previously?

For the Higher Education part: Speech and Language Therapy is classed as an Allied Health Professional subject. If this is the subject area of study you are planning on pursuing then you are eligible for full funding as long as you choose a designated pre-registration course and study at a designated university. You also need to not be professionally registered in the subject.

Regards,
Nihad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending