The Student Room Group

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Poll

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Knowing what you now know about Brexit and all the challenges/new opportunities it presents, what would you vote for if given the chance - leave or remain?

Have your say!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Brexit: everyone's talking about it, and everyone has an opinion. The last few days have been massive for parliament, and we want to hear your thoughts, opinions and questions on what's going on.

Theresa May stays in power and the government wins by a slim majority in the vote of no confidence - 325 votes to 306. What do you think? Was this the right decision, or do you think that there should have been a change in leadership, or a general election?

What do you think this now means for Brexit? Will we be able to leave with good deal, or do you think the EU will stop negotiating with us? Is no deal actually a good thing? There is lots of uncertainty around what will happen next, and with anything being a very real possibility, no-one is really sure what these next few months will hold. Theresa May now has three days to come up with some alternatives to put towards MP's, so she's going to be speaking to the leaders of all the parties to see what she needs to do to get whatever deal she can come up with approved - and quickly.

There's so much going on all the time, it can be difficult to know whats happening. When you wake up in the morning, everything seems to have changed! Customs union, backstop, article 50 - confused by the jargon? You're not alone. Click here for a handy tool to find out what on earth it all means, and here for a simple guide to Brexit.

YouGov said that in the referendum, under 25's were twice as likely to vote remain than leave, with 71% voting to remain. Do you think that given the fact the majority of young people wanted to remain, this changes the way you think about what is happening compared to the rest of the UK?

What do you think this means for you? With journalists and politicians often finding they have no answers, we want you to tell us what you think should happen with Brexit, and your predictions for the next few days.
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Knowing what you now know about Brexit and all the challenges/new opportunities it presents, what would you vote for if given the chance - leave or remain?

Have your say!

Same as before, leave
However there should not be another referendum until after the last one has been honoured.
And you asked this on a student forum where the majority are youngsters. We already know that the young mostly voted remain.
Original post by random_matt
And you asked this on a student forum where the majority are youngsters. We already know that the young mostly voted remain.

We're interested to see if people would vote differently given the chance again, knowing what they know now. Anyone at any age can change their view from either side, and not all young people voted remain :smile:
leave, because democracy has already spoken.
Sorry I'm not voting with those options, if there is another vote remain should not be an option. The question should be on agreed deal or no deal anything else would make a mockery of democracy.

We don't need another vote in my personal opinion
Reply 7
Original post by random_matt

The young mostly didn't vote...
Original post by Burton Bridge
Sorry I'm not voting with those options, if there is another vote remain should not be an option. The question should be on agreed deal or no deal anything else would make a mockery of democracy.

We don't need another vote in my personal opinion

Does this mean that if you were given the chance to vote again on the referendum question, you would stay with the option you originally chose? Or would you change your vote given information that has come to light in the last couple of years? We're interested to see if people's opinions have changed :smile:

When there is more information on what is happening with a new deal we'd also be interested to hear peoples opinions on how they would vote on that too - so look out for that poll in the next few weeks!
Does this mean that if you were given the chance to vote again on the referendum question, you would stay with the option you originally chose? Or would you change your vote given information that has come to light in the last couple of years? We're interested to see if people's opinions have changed :smile:

That's not what the poll is asking though...
Original post by Duncan2012
That's not what the poll is asking though...

I know, that's just what I am interested in! :smile:
Reply 11
TSR's population has always been pro Labour, pro remain, i doubt anything has changed
I voted remain in the referendum and my vote hasnt changed. I just have to accept the fact we are leaving and pray we get a deal sorted.
Original post by Pugglet
I voted remain in the referendum and my vote hasnt changed. I just have to accept the fact we are leaving and pray we get a deal sorted.

What did you think about the deal that was voted down? Did you think it was a good deal or do you think MP's were right in not voting for it?
What did you think about the deal that was voted down? Did you think it was a good deal or do you think MP's were right in not voting for it?

It wasnt a good deal but the issue was they weren't proposing any alternatives. Calling for a GE now would just cause more choas and make our country even more unstable.

When there is more information on what is happening with a new deal we'd also be interested to hear peoples opinions on how they would vote on that too - so look out for that poll in the next few weeks!

It means I think we should not revisit the question you have asked as a nation. A simple

'Has you view on Bexit changed in the last 2 years? yes or no'

would of been different and Id of voted no.

My opinion has only changed of the politicians from my dismay of political figures to deliver the best for the people of the country.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Burton Bridge
It means I think we should not revisit the question you have asked as a nation. A simple

'Has you view on Bexit changed in the last 2 years? yes or no'

would of been different and Id of voted no.

My opinion has only changed of the politicians from my dismay of political figures to deliver the best for the people of the country.

Do you think you have lost trust in politicians because of the last two years of negotiations? Do you think they'll be able to come up with/is it possible to come up with a solution in the time frame available that aligns with what voted for?
Reply 17
I voted Leave, I would still vote Leave now.
Do you think you have lost trust in politicians because of the last two years of negotiations? Do you think they'll be able to come up with/is it possible to come up with a solution in the time frame available that aligns with what voted for?

Yes and No

I believe the tories regardless of PM could never of delivered a meaningful Brexit, their party is too divided on the subject, bring the DUP into the situation and the Irish issue and the situation becomes a total hot potato for any tory leader, even a strong one like Thatcher could not pull off.

I belive Labour would be in a much better position to debate a deal because it would become easier to compromise within the party.

All the above said labour and the tories are too busy playing party politics to do this. So yes I have in a way, the last party whom would of made a great government in my opinion was Edd Milibands Labour and the country really messed up when we rejected him for Cameron
Reply 19
I didn't care which option won, and to be honest I still don't. I'd be happy with leaving or remaining, because both options have positives.

But if there was a vote today and someone put a gun to my head and made me vote, I'd pick Leave because I'm so repulsed by the sanctimonious, nasty nature of the most vocal Remain people. Particularly as they haven't yet realised that the tactic of attacking Leave supporters as 'stupid', 'racist', 'closed off' and so on is probably what reinforced so many opposing views and motivated so many people who don't normally vote to do so. If they hadn't done that, I think Remain would have won...

Although... there's a really, really strong temptation to go Remain just so I wouldn't have to endure wall-to-wall Brexit news/discussion/etc for the next two years.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply