The Student Room Group

Getting into uni for nursing as a mature student, help please. UWS

Hi Guys
I'm really hoping you all can help. at 32 i've decided to change my career and would love to go to uni for nursing. I don't have any qualifications from my school years to help me so I'm literally starting from scratch. That's a lie, I have a credit 2 in English, that's all!

So I emailed my local Uni's which is UWS. And it's basic info she has replied back with. Things I already know but not really answered my questions. I have replied but I'm losing time getting on with it as they take a few days to get back to me.

I need to work full time as I study, as if i get into uni (hopefully next year) I will need to sell my house to move back in with my parents for the 3yrs I'll be studying.

So my questions are (thank you for trying to help me)

these are the entry requirements (which you will all know)

3 Highers at grades BBC, plus Maths and English at National 5 level (or equivalent, i.e., standard grade credit 2)orA Higher National Certificate (HNC) in the following subjects: Health, Social Care or Care and Admin Practice, plus Maths and English at National 5 level (or equivalent, i.e., standard grade credit 2)
orSuccessful completion of Scottish Wider Access to Nursing Programme Course (SWAP) with grades BBB

I don't have any. And i cant go to college full time (as it stands but if thats my only choice then i will need to consider it)
Am i able to get the SWAP Online? Will that be good enough? Or a HNC online? Are they accepted and does anyone know if UWS accepts them.

I know some people have gotten their qualifications that way but 2k is a lot of money for a qualification if i cant then do anything with it.

Thanks so much for your help

Charlene

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Charlenec86

I know some people have gotten their qualifications that way but 2k is a lot of money for a qualification if i cant then do anything with it.

Why do you think you won't be able to do anything with the SWAP? Have a quick look at some of the case studies here: http://www.scottishwideraccess.org/west-case-studies
There are a few who have gone on to nursing.

Why not contact SWAP with your circumstances and see what they advise? http://www.scottishwideraccess.org/west
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by fsa2448
Why do you think you won't be able to do anything with the SWAP? Have a quick look at some of the case studies here: http://www.scottishwideraccess.org/west-case-studies
There are a few who have gone on to nursing.

Why not contact SWAP with your circumstances and see what they advise? http://www.scottishwideraccess.org/west

Hi Lisa, thanks for replying!
Yea i may just email them. I'd need to go to college full time?
I was wondering if i could do an access into nursing online as i work, because my circustances will change drastically if i get into uni and fiancially right now i couldnt afford to go to college full time also.
Reply 3
Hi Lisa, thanks for replying!
Yea i may just email them. I'd need to go to college full time?
I was wondering if i could do an access into nursing online as i work, because my circustances will change drastically if i get into uni and fiancially right now i couldnt afford to go to college full time also.
Reply 4
Look at this link:
https://www.scottishwideraccess.org/national-funding

It seems like you could get the fees paid and get some sort of bursary? Maybe add a bit of part time work and it could seem a more feasible?

https://www.scottishwideraccess.org/west-partners
Above are the partner colleges involved in SWAP for the west...how about shoot off an email to all of them, as per the advice in the first link, to see how they can help with your finances?
Reply 5
Hi.I am in a really similar situation to you.I am 34 and hoping to go into my nursing.I too have looked online for distance learning courses that would have met the entry requirements, I did contact UWS but I wasn’t given a straight answer that these qualifications were accredited and would actually count.I am looking at applying for my HNC/SWAP course, have you looked into the finance options available to alllow you to study at college for a year?If you can’t you might be better trying to gain your highers? I’m sure you can study for highers part time.
Reply 6
It's odd UWS didn't give you a straight answer when they're referred to as a partner uni: https://www.scottishwideraccess.org/west-programmes-nursing
It says it offers progression for nursing, but not midwifery.
Reply 7
Original post by fsa2448
Look at this link:
https://www.scottishwideraccess.org/national-funding

It seems like you could get the fees paid and get some sort of bursary? Maybe add a bit of part time work and it could seem a more feasible?

https://www.scottishwideraccess.org/west-partners
Above are the partner colleges involved in SWAP for the west...how about shoot off an email to all of them, as per the advice in the first link, to see how they can help with your finances?

Yes, ive looked into my options. But really it comes down to;
If i can get an online access course, great. I could continue with my job and run my house.
Then when i get into uni (hopefully 2020) I will have to sell my house and move home.
So I cant afford to physically go to college for the access and i cannot believe there is no other way to gain these credits.

But i appreciate your help thanks.
Reply 8
thanks fsa2448,
If i can get an online access course, great. I could continue with my job and run my house.
Then when i get into uni (hopefully 2020) I will have to sell my house and move home.
So I cant afford to physically go to college for the access and i cannot believe there is no other way to gain these credits.

Reply 9
Original post by fsa2448
It's odd UWS didn't give you a straight answer when they're referred to as a partner uni: https://www.scottishwideraccess.org/west-programmes-nursing
It says it offers progression for nursing, but not midwifery.

It wasn’t regarding the SWAP course, UWS does accept that.
I had seen online access courses, and these are what the uni wouldn’t commit to saying the accepted.
Hi Lau2585,

Yes, its quite frustrating the lack of help they offer you.. All i'd like to know is, can i can the entry requirements by studying online and if so, what? I was looking at all of the above too, I just want to know the best option as its a lot of money to be spending if i can do nothing with them at the end.
Id prefer not to go to college and keep working so i can save as much as i can for the possibilty of getting into uni next year. hope that makes sense?
If you hear anything or find out any other info, please let me know and I, you.

what are you planning on doing?
Reply 11
I want to do MH nursing... I am currently working as a nursing assistant within the psychiatric hospital,so I do have some experience.
It’s the academic side I am lacking.
I would rather not go to college to, but I can’t see anyway around it for now.
If you do your HNC and you meet the grades required you can go into 2nd year at uni and not 1st? Have you concidered that? And then you are still only studying for 3 years.
Reply 12
I have also got in touch with the local college because I don’t have the entry requirements for the HNC to ask if they take age and work experience and again, no reply! Not having much luck at all.
Reply 13
thanks fsa2448,

No worries. Hope you find a compromise which works out for you!

Based on your unique circumstances, maybe it's to contact admissions for all the unis you're interested in directly and see which online courses they'd accept? (call them if you get nowhere with emails).

On the other hand, have you had a look at modules offered by Open Uni?
Lau2585, thats brilliant you have some sort of experience! which i think is something they favour and rightly so!
What are the requirements for the HNC in college?
fsa2448
the courses on open uni are brillaint, i just need to know if UWS accept them. if they do, then im off! lol
Reply 16
Original post by fsa2448
No worries. Hope you find a compromise which works out for you!

Based on your unique circumstances, maybe it's to contact admissions for all the unis you're interested in directly and see which online courses they'd accept? (call them if you get nowhere with emails).

On the other hand, have you had a look at modules offered by Open Uni?

Thank you! Yes I think calling maybe the way forward... I have actually applied for uni this year, even though I don’t have the entry requirements in hope I can speak to someone regarding my options! I have accepted I am going to have to go to college, I will be applying for my SWAP and HNC soon as it opens!
Reply 17
Lau2585, thats brilliant you have some sort of experience! which i think is something they favour and rightly so!
What are the requirements for the HNC in college?

3D4B4DB3-0602-42DD-9D63-C0CBE73B3513.jpeg

I’m hoping I class in the life/work experience category!
Original post by Lau2585
3D4B4DB3-0602-42DD-9D63-C0CBE73B3513.jpeg

I’m hoping I class in the life/work experience category!

im sure you will love! let me know how you get on :smile:

I have an aunt who is a nurse, she is looking into my options and ive also a friend who works at Glasgow Uni, he is going to find out if an online access to nursing is accepted, so i'll let you know about that too :smile:
Reply 19
im sure you will love! let me know how you get on :smile:

I have an aunt who is a nurse, she is looking into my options and ive also a friend who works at Glasgow Uni, he is going to find out if an online access to nursing is accepted, so i'll let you know about that too :smile:

Thank you! I have admitted defeat with the online access course now :frown: and accepted the fact I will be going to college for a year! I’m so impatient about applying though I just want to do it now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending