The Student Room Group

Wasn't given a case study prior to the exam.

Hello all,

Yesterday I had my exam for my Computing course. When I started the exam I was shocked to notice that there was a case study which had released two months before used for exam prep. I didn't receive a case study, I didn't even know there was one.

I had been intensely revising for this exam and now I feel like trash because I needed the case study in order to get an sort of good mark. All the questions are linked to the case study and it even explains what to revise in bullet points.

After I took the exam I emailed my teacher explaining to him what has happened and how it is unfair. He replied saying I had missed that lesson by not attending and it was my fault for not understanding the importantance of attending lessons. I honestly think a good teacher would check that EVERY student has a case study even if they are in the lesson or not...

Please can you give me advice on what to do. Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Winauk
Hello all,

Yesterday I had my exam for my Computing course. When I started the exam I was shocked to notice that there was a case study which had released two months before used for exam prep. I didn't receive a case study, I didn't even know there was one.

I had been intensely revising for this exam and now I feel like trash because I needed the case study in order to get an sort of good mark. All the questions are linked to the case study and it even explains what to revise in bullet points.

After I took the exam I emailed my teacher explaining to him what has happened and how it is unfair. He replied saying I had missed that lesson by not attending and it was my fault for not understanding the importantance of attending lessons. I honestly think a good teacher would check that EVERY student has a case study even if they are in the lesson or not...

I assume this is A level as you posted in the A level forum. I don't think that there is anything you can do except possibly resit the exam if you can at the next opportunity. If it's an external exam it isn't the examiners fault that you didn't get it and so couldn't properly prepare for the exam and so I doubt they will give you any special consideration.
(edited 5 years ago)
if your teacher didn't give you one then you should report that to a senior teacher
Original post by gdunne42
I assume this is A level as you posted in the A level forum. I don't think that there is anything you can do except possibly resit the exam if you can at the next opportunity. If it's an external exam it isn't the examiners fault that you didn't get it and so couldn't properly prepare for the exam and so I doubt they will give you any special consideration.

If you missed a lesson, why didn't you follow up with your teacher about missed content? It's your responsibility too. You can't expect teachers to chase after you all the time...
Original post by Illusination
If you missed a lesson, why didn't you follow up with your teacher about missed content? It's your responsibility too. You can't expect teachers to chase after you all the time...

I didn't miss a lesson, please quote the original poster
You missed the lesson, your problem. At university with this mindset will be your downfall.
Reply 6
Original post by random_matt
You missed the lesson, your problem. At university with this mindset will be your downfall.

I'm talking about A-Level, see the oringal topic.
Reply 7

When you say follow them up, how can I do that? Email them to just ask for the work they done that day?
Original post by Winauk
When you say follow them up, how can I do that? Email them to just ask for the work they done that day?

Yes, but preferably go see them in person and ask them what you can do to catch up during your private study time.
Reply 9
Original post by DarkChaoz95
Yes, but preferably go see them in person and ask them what you can do to catch up during your private study time.

Thanks for the info mate.
Kinda both your faults. You should catch up every lesson you miss and it's not up to the teacher to tell you, and surely when you were revising it came up? But the teacher would've known the importance of the case study and he seems petty for replying so defensively. Imo, talk to the head of the subject.
Original post by gdunne42
I didn't miss a lesson, please quote the original poster

So your teacher just made up the fact that you missed a lesson?

No
You quoted the wrong person
I’m not the person with the problem
Original post by Winauk

Well yeah you can email them and apologise for your absence and ask if they can tell you what they did that day or you could ask this in person.

Did you not realise you were missing a case study when you were revising?

Unfortunately it’s just a case of resitting the exam
You're fault and your fault alone unfortunately.
I often missed class at A-level and was told by the school that it was my responsibility to e-mail the teacher prior to the lesson or after to find out what had been done and what I had missed.
Reply 15
Original post by anonymous1231231
Kinda both your faults. You should catch up every lesson you miss and it's not up to the teacher to tell you, and surely when you were revising it came up? But the teacher would've known the importance of the case study and he seems petty for replying so defensively. Imo, talk to the head of the subject.

Yep, would've been a completely different reply (more professional) if it was from the head of the subject. I did email him too but he can't reply because he is currently on leave in hospital.
Original post by Winauk
Yep, would've been a completely different reply (more professional) if it was from the head of the subject. I did email him too but he can't reply because he is currently on leave in hospital.

talk to your head of year then. tell him/her you acknowledge you should've caught up, but say you forgot or something and that the teacher made no effort to tell you despite your paper being based on this case.

People like you annoy me. Check who the OP is ffs

Original post by Winauk
Hello all,

I’m shocked that you never heard of this case study and it was never brought up again. I highly doubt this. If everyone found it fine, it is your fault for clearly forgetting the case study or forgetting to catch up on the lesson. Lesson learned
Since when do you have case studies for Computing? I thought they were reserved for Geography and all that ****
OP.

Are you telling me that nobody in your class ever mentioned this case study that they had been working on?

Also, did your teacher never mention it either before or after the lesson you missed? Not even "remember your case studies for the exam!" or similar?

Didn't you get information (or look for it) when selecting or starting your course to say exactly how you would be assessed?

I originally thought it was the fault of the teacher for not giving it to you (and I think if you miss a lesson she should have made sure it was given to you ASAP), but now I just wonder if this is true at all, as I refuse to believe that there was no talk of it considering you had an exam. If it was my college it would be mentioned in every single lesson and I'd have been talking about it with my friends in the class.

Quick Reply

Latest