The Student Room Group

Maths Imperial vs Warwick

I need to choose one for my Maths undergraduate degree as I have got offers from both now. Which one will increase the chances of better job opportunities. I love Maths but not passionate enough to do Doctorate and all. Ideally, I would like to work in Investment Banking or Finance after my Graduation. I would like to believe I am reasonably good at Maths even though I got rejected by Oxford. Got 80 in Mat. Would Warwick Maths degree give me better opportunities or Imperial?
Which one do you like more?
Reply 2
Original post by year13s
I need to choose one for my Maths undergraduate degree as I have got offers from both now. Which one will increase the chances of better job opportunities. I love Maths but not passionate enough to do Doctorate and all. Ideally, I would like to work in Investment Banking or Finance after my Graduation. I would like to believe I am reasonably good at Maths even though I got rejected by Oxford. Got 80 in Mat. Would Warwick Maths degree give me better opportunities or Imperial?

They're both equal, and it doesn't matter which you choose because the job prospect is exactly the same. They're both heavily recruited by IB (they are a target uni, which are heavily recruited from), corporate finance firms and every other large firms. Also their Maths course is on par with Oxford (though some may argue Warwick is slightly more rigorous than Oxford), so really it makes no difference.

Have a look at the course structure: Warwick offers more flexibility in its Maths degree while Imperial's is more pure. Location and costs should play a huge factor as London is far more expensive and busy, and Warwick may not be to your liking due to the isolated campus and closer community feeling. Whichever you choose won't give you an advantage.

The other thing I'd like to mention is to get involved with career event, and gaining experience whilst studying (typically during the summer doing internship), due to the sheer amount of competition for graduate jobs.
Reply 3
Original post by Rohan77642
Which one do you like more

I like Warwick due to the flexibility of the course and it's location. I grew up in London so it would be nice to experience a bit quieter environment but I don't want to compromise anything in career aspects of life.
Reply 4
Original post by kkboyk
They're both equal, and it doesn't matter which you choose because the job prospect is exactly the same. They're both heavily recruited by IB (they are a target uni, which are heavily recruited from), corporate finance firms and every other large firms. Also their Maths course is on par with Oxford (though some may argue Warwick is slightly more rigorous than Oxford), so really it makes no difference.

Have a look at the course structure: Warwick offers more flexibility in its Maths degree while Imperial's is more pure. Location and costs should play a huge factor as London is far more expensive and busy, and Warwick may not be to your liking due to the isolated campus and closer community feeling. Whichever you choose won't give you an advantage.

The other thing I'd like to mention is to get involved with career event, and gaining experience whilst studying (typically during the summer doing internship), due to the sheer amount of competition for graduate jobs.

Thanks for your reply. .probably choose Warwick . Yes, Graduate Internship is a must in this day and age....family home is in London so won't be having any problems in doing Internship programs in the city during Summer .
Original post by year13s
I like Warwick due to the flexibility of the course and it's location. I grew up in London so it would be nice to experience a bit quieter environment but I don't want to compromise anything in career aspects of life.

Then go to Warwick. Differences in career prospects are negligible as long as you do well in your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest