The Student Room Group

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Scroll to see replies

I've always been on the fence with this issue. I support the EU as an institution, and I have no qualms about its neoliberal tendencies, but I am totally against the Migration and Muslim demographics of Europe. I would suggest that a far-right political party at the EU, for European politics, would be a good solution to this problem.
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Knowing what you now know about Brexit and all the challenges/new opportunities it presents, what would you vote for if given the chance - leave or remain?

Have your say!

Remain - since Brexit is discussed and negotiated, I have not changed the mind, because I am afraid that Brexit - if it really comes true - would lead to a disadvantage in economy for Britain. Is it not so that Britain has to pay high customs, if Britain is not in the EU anylonger? and can Britain compete in a globalize economy without EU. Do the British really bet on Common Wealth so much?
Original post by Burton Bridge
Yes and No

I believe the tories regardless of PM could never of delivered a meaningful Brexit, their party is too divided on the subject, bring the DUP into the situation and the Irish issue and the situation becomes a total hot potato for any tory leader, even a strong one like Thatcher could not pull off.

I belive Labour would be in a much better position to debate a deal because it would become easier to compromise within the party.

All the above said labour and the tories are too busy playing party politics to do this. So yes I have in a way, the last party whom would of made a great government in my opinion was Edd Milibands Labour and the country really messed up when we rejected him for Cameron

Yet the problem still remains, Labour does not have the support of the people or Parliament to call a general election, as stated through yesterday's vote. Why is there the opinion that it would be easier to compromise within the Labour party, if Labour's stance on Brexit is still unspecified?
Original post by ColinDent
Then you'd just get a whole bunch of remainers saying that they voted to leave but have changed their minds

You would get some I don’t know if it would skew the poll THAT much.
Reply 64
Original post by Telefonino
take the recent harassment of Anna Soubry, who was branded as a Nazi

I found that absolutely hilarious since she's quick to brand people fascists. Yet now it's happened to her the police are all of a sudden having to decide whether it's deemed a criminal offence or not.

Didn't see that coming at all...

Edit: Voted leave before, would vote leave again. The EU tycoons do not seem to care for the jobs that will be lost across the remaining states by securing a reasonably mutual deal, only that they are afraid to leave their beloved project due to the risk of decimating their economies.

If they had acted more respectfully, I'd vote remain (then again I wouldn't have had the chance as Brexit would have been smoother). It just makes me feel like I voted the right way the first time. I just can't respect an institution leading by fear of damaging members economies. Italy would love to leave for example, but they can't - they're trapped in because of their economy.
(edited 5 years ago)
Leave. We are still being told the same lies about remaining, we should however leave WITHOUT a deal not TM one
Original post by Reue
I am not surprised.

My personal experience of knowing those who entered the teaching profession are that they were overwhelmingly below average academically.

Then your impression of the world is vastly off. You do realise that almost half of the country fails to get 5Cs at GCSE right?
Reply 67
Original post by Telefonino
I think both sides are guilty of this (take the recent harassment of Anna Soubry, who was branded as a Nazi). I think you're right in saying that this behaviour has divided people even more, as it makes politics personal, but disagree if you think vocal Leave supporters aren't as guilty of this. It is true that Remain politicians made some wild and offensive comments in regards to Leave voters which I agree was a big mistake and only fuelled the Leave agenda. However, remember that there were far worse comments from Leave supporters being made all over the internet, often being liked many times and being given even more attention by Social Media sites' algorithms, also Leave had it's match of foul behaviour in the media, I don't think you can describe the likes of Farage as being too composed in their attitude towards Leave voters and the EU itself.

Don't get me wrong, I found both sides to be unpleasant... definitely the two worst political campaigns I can remember, at least from major players. It was a bit like the last US election... I wanted both sides to lose.

But I've ended up with a deeper dislike for the Remain side because things like the sanctimonious crap and utterly vile, dangerous attempts to paint people as intolerant racists simply for voting Leave weren't isolated to cranky nutjobs like the nasty stuff from Leave was. It was near enough mainstream, and it still is. And trying to tar innocent people with a revolting, deeply emotive tag like 'racist' is disgusting. I've seen nothing anywhere near as sustained and unpleasant from 'normal' Leave supporters.
Reply 68
Original post by nexttime
Then your impression of the world is vastly off. You do realise that almost half of the country fails to get 5Cs at GCSE right?

Apologies; I should have specified *below average within the peer group.
Original post by ap.ferro
Leave. We are still being told the same lies about remaining, we should however leave WITHOUT a deal not TM one

Tell me something about the lies and why it is better to leave and to realize Brexit instead of to prevent in your opinion.

Crikey. Source?
I kind of thought at the time that there was a risk of the government ****ing it up. People back then arguing about how we should "take back control" always confused me a little bit for that very reason: Taking away power from the EU officials to merely give it to our government who, in reality, we don't really like either.

It's gone worse than I imagined to a degree: I was expecting leave to effectively mean no deal that was then kiinda managed, but poorly managed. Instead we've had months of floundering around before getting a neither-here-nor-there compromise deal, only for that to get bazooka'd and for us to be left with the possibility of a crash-out-and-die not-managed-at-all no deal brexit. In my mind, the pragmatic thing to do, at least for now, is to cancel brexit, or at the very least extend article 50 for a good while and renegotiate from the ground up. So I'd vote remain.

I'm not sure if politicians actually should just cancel brexit outright without the whole "people's vote" malarky happening first, for if they did that it'd raise some iffy questions about the state of democracy and such. But if they did, I wouldn't be particularly mad.
Knowing what you now know about Brexit and all the challenges/new opportunities it presents, what would you vote for if given the chance - leave or remain?

Have your say!

If you choose to leave, you need to have a long hard think about how that choice is going to effect your future, cause I guaratee you now, it will not benefit you
I'll go one step further: no new referendum, just cancel Brexit.

We don't hold referenda on health policy. We don't hold referenda on defence policy. Its too complicated to try to distil such complicated issues into a single question.

We hold general elections but those are temporary, overhauled every 5 years.

So why did we do it for Brexit. One reason: Cameron felt he was sure to win. No one in their right mind would ever have held an in-out referenda on such an important, such a complicated relationship if they actually thought there was a chance of losing!

Cancel Brexit. Referenda should be for simple questions with clear subsequent lines of action only.

That would go down well.
We're interested to see if people would vote differently given the chance again, knowing what they know now. Anyone at any age can change their view from either side, and not all young people voted remain :smile:

This vote doesn't determine this...

Would be better to ask for leave.reamin about whether they';d change.
Reply 76
Remain again. I don't believe Ireland can be settled with any form of Brexit. Too many people have died for Brexit to go ahead.
Remain again. Nothing I have seen so far has convinced me that leaving will be a positive for the country, although it's quite possible it won't be the unmitigated disaster that some of the more fervent on Remain are predicting.
Leave for LYFE :mob:
Honestly if brexit occurs, the nhs is gonna do down :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending