The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Choosing Between Lancaster and Exeter

Hi, I am an international student from India and have received offers from Exeter, Lancaster and Sussex for PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics). I am mainly confused between Exeter and Lancaster and do not know which to put as my firm choice. I believe that Exeter may be more prestigious and thus, better for employment later on, however, Lancaster is better ranked and I like the course better at Lancaster as it has modules focused on India and offers a placement year. Does anybody have any advice that could help with my decision? Also if anybody is studying PPE at either University and is willing to speak with me, I would really appreciate it.
Exeter is generally more prestigious when it comes to Humanities. Thus, the department would be more focused on the course. I would choose Exeter.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
exeter is better mate
Original post by Random7777
Hi, I am an international student from India and have received offers from Exeter, Lancaster and Sussex for PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics). I am mainly confused between Exeter and Lancaster and do not know which to put as my firm choice. I believe that Exeter may be more prestigious and thus, better for employment later on, however, Lancaster is better ranked and I like the course better at Lancaster as it has modules focused on India and offers a placement year. Does anybody have any advice that could help with my decision? Also if anybody is studying PPE at either University and is willing to speak with me, I would really appreciate it.

H @Random7777,

Congratulations on receiving your offers, that is fantastic!

I am a current Marketing Management student at Lancaster University so hopefully I can give you some information and explain why Lancaster was the best choice for me and subsequently I am having a great time here. I appreciate it is difficult to make a decision if you are overseas so I would recommend checking out the virtual tours of Lancaster University here to get a sense of the campus and surrounding environment: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/virtual-open-day/.

Also, if you want to speak to a PPE student specifically then fill out this quick form here: https://asklums.typeform.com/to/RcoaiW and one of the team will put you in touch with an Ambassador from the PPE course.

As you will be studying partly in the Management School if you opt onto this degree you can make the most of the fantastic facilities and those underway - check out the video here! https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lums/about-us/space-programme/

I do not know what Exeter is like and I am sure it offers fantastic support too but I am really impressed with the accommodation, departments, lectures, teaching quality, reputation, course content, campus environment here. Ultimately you are studying for a few years and you want to ensure you enjoy what you are studying so it needs to be a balanced choice based on location etc. For me the course modules are really important because at the end of the day you want to do well in order to ensure you have a wonderful career and it is great that The Times and Sunday Times have ranked Lancaster University in the UK Top 3 for graduate employment.

I hope those links help too and if you want to ask me any further questions then please do.

Good luck with your decision.

Have a great day.

Rebecca
LUMS Student Ambassador
(edited 5 years ago)
another vote for Exeter
I don't understand why people are 'voting' for Exeter v Lancaster as the latter is ahead in most league tables. I know tables aren't everything, but I think the question is very much subjective, and also down to 'subject'. I can't comment on which is better for PPE if either.

What is more important for an overseas applicant, IMO, is the location and the type of campus and facilities. Both Exeter and Lancaster are very good Universities. They are very different though in terms of where in UK they are, cost of living, transport links, facilities etc. That is far more important to investigate than 'prestige' and only Random7777 can know what would suit them best. Just my opinion.

Regarding employment, again, if stats are to be believed, Lancaster beats Exeter.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Robbo50
I don't understand why people are 'voting' for Exeter v Lancaster as the latter is ahead in most league tables. I know tables aren't everything, but I think the question is very much subjective, and also down to 'subject'. I can't comment on which is better for PPE if either.

What is more important for an overseas applicant, IMO, is the location and the type of campus and facilities. Both Exeter and Lancaster are very good Universities. They are very different though in terms of where in UK they are, cost of living, transport links, facilities etc. That is far more important to investigate than 'prestige' and only Random7777 can know what would suit them best. Just my opinion.

There's no PPE league table, and league tables don't mean jack, Jack.
Original post by Notoriety
There's no PPE league table, and league tables don't mean jack, Jack.

Yes, but are you able to answer why people are voting for Exeter asit's not clear what evidence is being used to back that opinion up?
Reply 8
I do PPE at Lancaster and I was in your position a year ago, league tables aren't everything. They're more often than not incredibly false leading. There are some not that great unis which reach sky high in the tables so now looking back at my younger self I wish I'd known that. I'd choose Exeter, better nightlife, better area, better respected etc and the economics is probs better too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending