The Student Room Group

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Scroll to see replies

I voted leave and would do so again; however, to have another referendum would make a mockery of democracy.
Voted remain, would vote leave now even if it meant WTO rules.

The conduct of the EU and the remain lobby have really opened my eyes over the last two years. My politics have definitely swung some.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Brexit: everyone's talking about it, and everyone has an opinion. The last few days have been massive for parliament, and we want to hear your thoughts, opinions and questions on what's going on.

Theresa May stays in power and the government wins by a slim majority in the vote of no confidence - 325 votes to 306. What do you think? Was this the right decision, or do you think that there should have been a change in leadership, or a general election?

What do you think this now means for Brexit? Will we be able to leave with good deal, or do you think the EU will stop negotiating with us? Is no deal actually a good thing? There is lots of uncertainty around what will happen next, and with anything being a very real possibility, no-one is really sure what these next few months will hold. Theresa May now has three days to come up with some alternatives to put towards MP's, so she's going to be speaking to the leaders of all the parties to see what she needs to do to get whatever deal she can come up with approved - and quickly.

There's so much going on all the time, it can be difficult to know whats happening. When you wake up in the morning, everything seems to have changed! Customs union, backstop, article 50 - confused by the jargon? You're not alone. Click here for a handy tool to find out what on earth it all means, and here for a simple guide to Brexit.

YouGov said that in the referendum, under 25's were twice as likely to vote remain than leave, with 71% voting to remain. Do you think that given the fact the majority of young people wanted to remain, this changes the way you think about what is happening compared to the rest of the UK?

What do you think this means for you? With journalists and politicians often finding they have no answers, we want you to tell us what you think should happen with Brexit, and your predictions for the next few days.

Here we go, another communist paid shill trying to change young peoples mind. The money* surely isn't worth doing what you do...
(edited 5 years ago)
depends on the circumstances.

If the current goverment is likely to administer the result - then I would vote remain again.

In an ideal world I would back leave, if the result was implemented by a leave-majority party.
I voted Remain - benefits outweight the negatives
I understand the democracy so I do expect us to eventually leave the EU, however if there was another referendum I'd still vote Remain because I just want to stop the entire sh*t-show that is the government and get back to them actually discussing policies rather than f**king Brexit
Original post by iElvendork
I voted Remain - benefits outweight the negatives
I understand the democracy so I do expect us to eventually leave the EU, however if there was another referendum I'd still vote Remain because I just want to stop the entire sh*t-show that is the government and get back to them actually discussing policies rather than f**king Brexit

Yes this whole thing is a shitshow
The people have respoken. Sorry, forgot we're supposed to speak once then shut up for 5 yrs. Theresa May keeps saying I believe this is the will of the British people but how does she know when she steadfastly refuses to ask them again? What was once respected as fortitude now manifests as inflexibility under immensely changed circumstances.
Original post by LunaSpoon
I voted leave and would do so again; however, to have another referendum would make a mockery of democracy.

To not have one makes a mockery of it. Brexiteers talked **** back in 2016 as we now know. They still do!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
The people have respoken. Sorry, forgot we're supposed to speak once then shut up for 5 yrs. Theresa May keeps saying I believe this is the will of the British people but how does she know when she steadfastly refuses to ask them again? What was once respected as fortitude now manifests as inflexibility under immensely changed circumstances.

Well last time it was over 40 years so not too long to go before they can guage public opinion with a referendum ;-)
British workers are just so incredible, the diversity of experience and devotion is second to none. Every warehouse in the country will be a model of order and effiency when its just Dave and Steve running things...
Original post by gr8wizard10
leave, because democracy has already spoken.

Agreed, I voted to remain but if we're granted a second referendum I would probably vote leave on principle alone. Remain has showed its true undemocratic colours. Most young people are ageist and blame it on old people, being an old soul myself it just sounds like teenage rebellion; angry they didn't get their way. That's politics!
Original post by gr8wizard10
leave, because democracy has already spoken.

Was that the 'democracy' that allowed Russian and other foreign money to be channeled into the Leave campaign, that promoted massive lies to an uneducated public or that broke every electoral law in the book?

Britain is (or used to be, until the deplorably out of his depth old Etonian David Cameron decided to dump it) a parliamentary democracy, not a fascist fake democracy based on the staged managed referendum to channel the mob and leaders behaving like petty dictators, which is what we currently have.
Leave, we voted for this and there were problems with the EU there will still be problems for our country with the EU if we stay in the problems won't go away so lets start afresh and get back our independence as a strong nation in its own right. LEAVE MEANS LEAVE.
The auld democratic 'Will Of The People' is looking a mite sorry for itself here isn't it? Best remain :wink:

(loving the obvious leave sockpuppet accounts btw, have TSR's resident militant 6/7 leavers been up all night trying to pad the result maybe? :wink: )
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ColinDent
Well last time it was over 40 years so not too long to go before they can guage public opinion with a referendum ;-)

Gauge... not guage. That mistake was beaten out of us at secondary school. Pity we can't get extremists to see the error of their ways so easily.
Original post by Hillsongirl
Leave, we voted for this and there were problems with the EU there will still be problems for our country with the EU if we stay in the problems won't go away so lets start afresh and get back our independence as a strong nation in its own right. LEAVE MEANS LEAVE.

Unless what you really meant was do a brexit in name only, dodo a Norway deal and stay in the customs union, single market, be ruled on by the ECJ?

I think we just need to check that you didn’t mean that as that’s all we will pass in Parliament at the moment. 😂
Original post by StriderHort
The auld democratic 'Will Of The People' is looking a mite sorry for itself here isn't it? Best remain :wink:

(loving the obvious leave sockpuppet accounts btw, have TSR's resident militant 6/7 leavers been up all night trying to pad the result maybe? :wink: )

I think I speak for lots of people here when I say....

9A603538-BB69-46DC-AA6A-9ECB19256E44.jpg.jpeg
Remain. Theresa May can't bring to the table a good deal and because of that, we will be in a worse position that we were in before. Leaving the EU means that the UK is in the most stable position it can be, however it is not and leaving would create more problems, both for the British and those from other countries.
Original post by StriderHort

I would hardly describe myself and Paul as sock puppets.

The result itself is more or less reflective of the age bracket this site is aimed at. Not a surprise there
Original post by paul514
Unless what you really meant was do a brexit in name only, dodo a Norway deal and stay in the customs union, single market, be ruled on by the ECJ?

I think we just need to check that you didn’t mean that as that’s all we will pass in Parliament at the moment. 😂

What I really mean is we have tried your way yrs and it's not working. Really sorry but... Wish you guys would stop sticking your fingers in your ears while singing Land of Hope and Glory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending