The Student Room Group

Gilette releases commercial criticising rape culture

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
When you have an account on YouTube and you like or dislike a video, the thumbs up or thumbs down turns blue, letting you know that it’s worked. Every time I go back to the advert, my thumbs down has gone back to grey. I then checked the comments underneath the video and loads of people were saying the same thing, that they’ve had to dislike it several times. And that at some point it had X dislikes and that when they checked a few hours later, the dislikes had massively decreased. It's also being said that Gillette is using bots to remove dislikes and provide likes.

The dislikes have now gone from 60k to 50k from yesterday. The likes keep going up though. Its clear that they are manipulating the results by removing dislikes. They removed over 200k dislikes in the past two days and deleted many comments, including my own.

I would not be surprised if something similar is happening on this forum. Lies and distortion of facts and reality are just part of the nature of feminism. It's the only way it can justify its teachings and beliefs, which are disconnected from reality.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Homo Fuge
Men do disrespect and harass women. It’s happened to me. Just because you have not witnessed it yourself, it doesn’t mean it is not still an issue.

Read my last sentence.
Nothing wrong with this video. It s simply telling men to be their best, that masculinity and strength doesn’t equate to being a bully but to being a good example to others. And what’s best is that the types of people that got triggered and upset because of this video are supposedly the “real” men, unlike us snowflakes
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
In a few minutes we should see the fallout, NYSE opens....P&G stock price...

Didn’t happen! Stock price has pretty much stayed the same.
Original post by Good bloke
Once again you post a nonsense claim that is not born out by the evidence. The advert is not aimed at 'rape culture', according to Gillette. It is aimed at 'toxic masculinity' and seeks to change the behaviour of men. Why masculinity is toxic is beyond me, but that is Gillette for you. The company is clearly unhappy with the behaviour of its customers and seeks to change it.

It pretty well fits the trend to be puritanically and regressively illiberal, but with the added twist of taking money from those being criticised.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46874617

It’s not saying that masculinity is toxic. Toxic masculinity is a type of masculinity. The type that leads to women being harassed, to men getting into stupid fights and being a bad example to others, in contrast to healthy masculinity.
Original post by darkshadow1111
Not surprised. Misandristic feminists.

why. why dont these hairy feminists just stfu. they ruin everything, even their own ads! :nooo: ah well, whoever is behind the ad, I liked it.
Original post by akbar0123
Nothing wrong with this video. It s simply telling men to be their best, that masculinity and strength doesn’t equate to being a bully but to being a good example to others. And what’s best is that the types of people that got triggered and upset because of this video are supposedly the “real” men, unlike us snowflakes

Rightly pointing out the miscalculated, condescending, preachy nature of the video doesn't really equate to being "triggered" or "upset."

The video is dumb. It tries to be a positive message but just comes across as insulting. Like, gee, I'll remember not to sexually harass women. Thanks, Gillette. And some of it is just stupid - there's nothing wrong with boys roughhousing.

I keep saying it, but imagine an ad reminding women not to be emotional, manipulative gold-diggers. It would not go down well.
Original post by Dandaman1
Rightly pointing out the miscalculated, condescending, preachy nature of the video doesn't really equate to being "triggered" or "upset."

The video is dumb. It tries to be a positive message but just comes across as insulting. Like, gee, I'll remember not to sexually harass women. Thanks, Gillette. And some of it is just stupid - there's nothing wrong with boys roughhousing.

I keep saying it, but imagine an ad reminding women not to be emotional, manipulative gold-diggers. It would not go down well.

The point is not that you shouldn’t harass women but that you should also step in and stop it when you see it rather than accepting it. And of course roughhousing is wrong, what kind of example are parents setting if they’re telling their kids that fighting people is fine, instead of getting along and solving disputes with words? Sounds like you needed to see this advert.
The point is not that you shouldn’t harass women but that you should also step in and stop it when you see it rather than accepting it. And of course roughhousing is wrong, what kind of example are parents setting if they’re telling their kids that fighting people is fine, instead of getting along and solving disputes with words? Sounds like you needed to see this advert.

The boys are clearly just wrestling. It's a normal, healthy thing for boys to do.

And the ad is essentially painting an exaggerated picture of so-called "toxic masculinity" and criticising the male demographic. It's out of line. Frankly, it's not even a razor ad's purpose. Gillette is basically just virtue signalling for money, and in a preachy, condescending way, which people also tend to dislike. Just sell me your razors and don't patronise me and tell me how to behave in matters not even related to shaving, thanks.

Imagine if you were buying something at a store and the cashier says "Here's your change, and don't sexually harass women. Have a nice day." I'd promptly tell the cashier where to stick that change.
(edited 5 years ago)
It’s not saying that masculinity is toxic. Toxic masculinity is a type of masculinity. The type that leads to women being harassed, to men getting into stupid fights and being a bad example to others, in contrast to healthy masculinity.

what is toxic masculinity?
and what is harassment?

the problems with these labels are less about the idea that yes some aspects of masculinity are bad, and yes harassment is bad.. but more about what constitutes each.

Its the use of these big umbrella terms that alienates people and turns them off..

The vast vast majority of men think that toxic masculinity is wrong... but these days according to some progressive agendas, letting boys wrestle, and explaining anything to a woman unless you have absolute authority on the subject is toxic masculinity?

The vast vast majority of men think that sexual harassing women is wrong... but these days according to some progressive agendas, asking a woman out for a date issexual harassment?

So instead of targeting and being specific.. it ends up feeling like a more generalized attack on peoples identities. I have read so many different definitions of toxic masculinity, that each include different things.. that it becomes meaningless as a term. Similar to sexual harassment, which can include anything and everything according to some sources. The broader you stretch these terms, the less unanimous in agreement we become over them.

For toxic masculinity if the definition of what was toxic was kept lean and simple: Don't rape. Don't kill. Don't attack. etc. Clear concise, we can all agree that these are elements of masculinity that are awful = everyone's happy. But instead as long as we have this vague concept of ill-defined boundaries you'll end up with a situation such as the one we have now:

In short, the two sides end up like this:

A: "In my definition of toxic masculinity I include X,Y,20 things.. these are bad, and healthy masculinity is good"

B: "But in my definition I only include 12 of those things... the other 8 I think are part of healthy masculinity.. there fore I feel you are attacking masculinity as a whole. because some of what you are attacking isn't toxic in my eyes"

A: "but I am not attacking masculinity.. only the toxic part!"

B: "but some of your definition of what is toxic, is my definition of what is healthy"

etc. etc.
Kinda reminds me of the whole weird 'woke' pepsi ad debacle. Just another company trying to cash in on political/social trends.
Original post by fallen_acorns
For toxic masculinity if the definition of what was toxic was kept lean and simple: Don't rape. Don't kill. Don't attack. etc. Clear concise, we can all agree that these are elements of masculinity that are awful = everyone's happy.

That being said, I can't remember a time where murders and the act of rape were ever really considered masculine traits. Certainly don't remember anything telling me it was masculine to physically attack a woman. Was I just brought up on an entirely different planet to everyone else without my knowing?

I think a big problem with the whole 'toxic masculinity' debate is what people associate with masculinity at all can be shaky.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Kinda reminds me of the whole weird 'woke' pepsi ad debacle. Just another company trying to cash in on political/social trends.

That being said, I can't remember a time where murders and the act of rape were ever really considered masculine traits. Certainly don't remember anything telling me it was masculine to physically attack a woman. Was I just brought up on an entirely different planet to everyone else without my knowing?

I think a big problem with the whole 'toxic masculinity' debate is what people associate with masculinity at all can be shaky.

As my posts show on the thread - I'm not a fan of the concept of toxic masculinity.. but.. killing and raping is definitely on the masculine end of the gender spectrum then the feminine. Numbers speak for themselves.. far more violent men then women, and far more men commit murder then women.

the problem with this add, and the modern conceptulisation of 'toxic masculinity' is that they see (rightly so) that the tendendancy towards physical violence is a more masculine trait... and want it stamped out among all men. Without having the nuance to understand that a degree of a tendancy towards violence is actually very beneficial for men, and for society as a whole.

Hence why I bring it to the extremes, such as murder/rape. They are universal things we can agree we don't want men doing.. where as stamping out all violent aspects of masculinity (including kids play-fighting as seen in the add) is more devisive, and rightly so.
As my posts show on the thread - I'm not a fan of the concept of toxic masculinity.. but.. killing and raping is definitely on the masculine end of the gender spectrum then the feminine. Numbers speak for themselves.. far more violent men then women, and far more men commit murder then women.

the problem with this add, and the modern conceptulisation of 'toxic masculinity' is that they see (rightly so) that the tendendancy towards physical violence is a more masculine trait... and want it stamped out among all men. Without having the nuance to understand that a degree of a tendancy towards violence is actually very beneficial for men, and for society as a whole.

Hence why I bring it to the extremes, such as murder/rape. They are universal things we can agree we don't want men doing.. where as stamping out all violent aspects of masculinity (including kids play-fighting as seen in the add) is more devisive, and rightly so.

Obviously I can't argue with demographics on the most serious crimes. The problem is associating it with "toxic masculinity" makes it seem as though male culture encourages us all to be murderers, when in reality murderers and rapists are very much an ostracised minority and not encouraged by anybody. It's perhaps a "more masculine" thing, but not in the way some pushers of the whole toxic masculinity concept would have it. So um... I think we kinda agree? lol I've lost track of my original point a little bit i won't lie
At the end of the day, Gillette just want to sell more. Do you really think they care about our societal issues?
what is toxic masculinity?
and what is harassment?

the problems with these labels are less about the idea that yes some aspects of masculinity are bad, and yes harassment is bad.. but more about what constitutes each.

Its the use of these big umbrella terms that alienates people and turns them off..

The vast vast majority of men think that toxic masculinity is wrong... but these days according to some progressive agendas, letting boys wrestle, and explaining anything to a woman unless you have absolute authority on the subject is toxic masculinity?

The vast vast majority of men think that sexual harassing women is wrong... but these days according to some progressive agendas, asking a woman out for a date issexual harassment?

So instead of targeting and being specific.. it ends up feeling like a more generalized attack on peoples identities. I have read so many different definitions of toxic masculinity, that each include different things.. that it becomes meaningless as a term. Similar to sexual harassment, which can include anything and everything according to some sources. The broader you stretch these terms, the less unanimous in agreement we become over them.

For toxic masculinity if the definition of what was toxic was kept lean and simple: Don't rape. Don't kill. Don't attack. etc. Clear concise, we can all agree that these are elements of masculinity that are awful = everyone's happy. But instead as long as we have this vague concept of ill-defined boundaries you'll end up with a situation such as the one we have now:

In short, the two sides end up like this:

A: "In my definition of toxic masculinity I include X,Y,20 things.. these are bad, and healthy masculinity is good"

B: "But in my definition I only include 12 of those things... the other 8 I think are part of healthy masculinity.. there fore I feel you are attacking masculinity as a whole. because some of what you are attacking isn't toxic in my eyes"

A: "but I am not attacking masculinity.. only the toxic part!"

B: "but some of your definition of what is toxic, is my definition of what is healthy"

etc. etc.

sexual harassment didn't become a thing until the 1970s-80s so no wonder men don't know; it wasn't that long ago. yeah maybe before you were born, but not before your dad was born and where do you think you learned how to be one?

i totally get the frustration because there are definitely confusing messages. it doesn't help that men learn what women are from the internet and not real life tho. no, women don't think asking them out is harassment, not usually. but it might be harassment if you're her boss or you're sending her **** pics or asking for nudes which i see daily on TSR. then you guys laugh and think that's just trivial or what guys do. then you're sad/frustrated when girls don't like it.

but you can't learn women from the media. the media paints women as 'overreacting' because how many people love reading about women overreacting? you know there's an entire audience who eats that sh*t up?

there was one real life sexual harassment case in the ad - the Terry Crews clip which either dudes don't know about or just don't care. he was sexual harassed and sexual assaulted by a male hollywood boss in the middle of a hollywood party and he didn't do anything about it at the time because he didn't want to cause a scene. he was the most important case in the entire #metoo movement, because he's the epitome of a sexual harassment victim in a sexual harassment scenario. and he's asking men to be better men and hold each other accountable; but apparently that's offensive.
Original post by Joleee
sexual harassment didn't become a thing until the 1970s-80s so no wonder men don't know; it wasn't that long ago. yeah maybe before you were born, but not before your dad was born and where do you think you learned how to be one?

i totally get the frustration because there are definitely confusing messages. it doesn't help that men learn what women are from the internet and not real life tho. no, women don't think asking them out is harassment, not usually. but it might be harassment if you're her boss or you're sending her **** pics or asking for nudes which i see daily on TSR. then you guys laugh and think that's just trivial or what guys do. then you're sad/frustrated when girls don't like it.

but you can't learn women from the media. the media paints women as 'overreacting' because how many people love reading about women overreacting? you know there's an entire audience who eats that sh*t up?

there was one real life sexual harassment case in the ad - the Terry Crews clip which either dudes don't know about or just don't care. he was sexual harassed and sexual assaulted by a male hollywood boss in the middle of a hollywood party and he didn't do anything about it at the time because he didn't want to cause a scene. he was the most important case in the entire #metoo movement, because he's the epitome of a sexual harassment victim in a sexual harassment scenario. and he's asking men to be better men and hold each other accountable; but apparently that's offensive.

It appears that you learn about men from the media/internet in the same way you accuse the previous poster of learning about women. No man I’ve ever met would think it’s reasonable to send unsolicited d**k pics to anyone, let alone a female subordinate. If anyone I knew did and then complained that the woman didn’t like it I wouldn’t be alone in calling him out.

Most men understand what sexual harassment/assault is and would always steer clear of that behaviour. I suppose it’s easier for the media to demonise men than recognise that individual men behaving like morons has nothing to do with their gender
Original post by Underscore__
It appears that you learn about men from the media/internet in the same way you accuse the previous poster of learning about women. No man I’ve ever met would think it’s reasonable to send unsolicited d**k pics to anyone, let alone a female subordinate. If anyone I knew did and then complained that the woman didn’t like it I wouldn’t be alone in calling him out.

Most men understand what sexual harassment/assault is and would always steer clear of that behaviour. I suppose it’s easier for the media to demonise men than recognise that individual men behaving like morons has nothing to do with their gender

you need to read fallon_acorns post to know what i was addressing. he wrote explicitly about 'reading' on toxic masculinity and not know what sexual harassment is. i didn't assume anything.

This advert is clearly encouraging sexism against men. People are being encouraged by this advert to generalise and discriminate against men. Jolee's comments are a great example of this.

EDIT: I wish I could give you a thumbs up but I can't I've already given you one for another comment recently so...ya...but I would if I could.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pinkisk
This advert is clearly encouraging sexism against men. People are being encouraged by this advert to generalise and discriminate against men. Jolee's comments are a great example of this.

EDIT: I wish I could give you a thumbs up but I can't I've already given you one for another comment recently so...ya...but I would if I could.

It’s also full of quite crude caricatures; dad does the barbecue while the young boys fight and the scene where the woman seems so hurt in the meeting, if she’s been able to climb the corporate ladder to that extent I’m sure she’s capable of standing up for herself. I’m not really sure what they thought they would gain from telling men they’re not good enough.

Don’t worry, I’ll mentally add one thumbs up every time I see my earlier post
It’s also full of quite crude caricatures; dad does the barbecue while the young boys fight and the scene where the woman seems so hurt in the meeting, if she’s been able to climb the corporate ladder to that extent I’m sure she’s capable of standing up for herself. I’m not really sure what they thought they would gain from telling men they’re not good enough.

Don’t worry, I’ll mentally add one thumbs up every time I see my earlier post

Its a digsuting advert. There's no, like, two ways about it. Its disgusting and sexist. It's an advert based on how feminists view the world, a view the good majority of people do not agree with, a view which is by general consensus disconnected from reality. Its feminist propaganda and the people supporting this nonsense are just pure hypocrites. I am, like 100% sure, that these same individuals would be raging for the rest of eternity if this ad. had been about women. I mean, they get "triggered" over things far more subtle than this ad. directed at women. Imagine if, like, Tampax did an ad. for feminine toxicity, with a MGTOW perspective of the world on women. What would these same hypocrites justifying this ad say? All their, this ad. is wonderful because its encouraging people to stop doing bad things, excuses will fly out of the window.

This ad. has exposed the double standards of feminism to the world, that this ideology is indeed, despite its claims to the contrary, an ideology that blames world problems on men. I'm loving this because its, like, getting people to wake up to the toxicity of this movement.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending