The Student Room Group

Mobile network: O2 or EE

I'm in a dilemma of which one to choose. Below are the plans. The problem is that I hear O2 has crap 4G? Does any O2 users experience problems at all or should I just go with EE?

EE (24 months)
£150 upfront
£43 per month:
Unlimited minutes and texts
30GB data

O2 (24 months)
£50 upfront
£48 per month:
75GB
I'd go for whatever seems cheaper to me. EE is about £660 ish altogether and 02 is about £630 ish altogether.
02 gives more GB than EE. Unless it really does have crap 4G I'd go with that.
Reply 2
Original post by Jamiehou
I'm in a dilemma of which one to choose. Below are the plans. The problem is that I hear O2 has crap 4G? Does any O2 users experience problems at all or should I just go with EE?

EE (24 months)
£150 upfront
£43 per month:
30GB data

O2 (24 months)
£50 upfront
£48 per month:
75GB
O2's 4G isn't great, no, but you're getting a much better deal with them there (why such an expensive contract though?).

I'll also say that O2's customer service is awesome.
Reply 3
Original post by Tootles
O2's 4G isn't great, no, but you're getting a much better deal with them there (why such an expensive contract though?).

I'll also say that O2's customer service is awesome.

It is a much better deal but do you think that there 4G will really affect the experience? I'm gonna be streaming music, HD videos and browsing social media at most.
Reply 4
It is a much better deal but do you think that there 4G will really affect the experience? I'm gonna be streaming music, HD videos and browsing social media at most.
Yes it probably will affect your experience if you're stereaming. You could mitigate that some by having your music stored locally though - because why would you spend all that money on a high data allowance that you're probably going to use to download the same tracks multiple times per month, when you could have a smaller allowance and use less of it by having your music already there. No comment on the viability of streaming or downloading HD videos, it seems like a silly thing to do on a phone.
Reply 5
Original post by Tootles
Yes it probably will affect your experience if you're stereaming. You could mitigate that some by having your music stored locally though - because why would you spend all that money on a high data allowance that you're probably going to use to download the same tracks multiple times per month, when you could have a smaller allowance and use less of it by having your music already there. No comment on the viability of streaming or downloading HD videos, it seems like a silly thing to do on a phone.

Personally what do you think you would go for? I feel like I probably wouldn't even use up all the 30GB so would just go for the quicker 4G.
Reply 6
Personally what do you think you would go for? I feel like I probably wouldn't even use up all the 30GB so would just go for the quicker 4G.
I'm on an £11 SIM-only contract with O2, wherein I get unlimited SMS and phone time, and 2GB of data. I have all my music downloaded to an SD card, and only watch videos at home (again, mostly downloaded locally).

But then mine is a different use-case. I'm a self-employed novelist, my "phone" is a Gemini PDA, and I mostly work at home. I watch maybe an hour of television a day at most - and none at all if there's nothing I specifically want to watch. I can't imagine streaming shows or whatever on my phone and watching them anywhere, let alone out and about.

Do you actually need unlimited calls and texts?
You can get cheaper deals... I refuse to pay more than £15 per month, in fact that's a lot to me. Ring them up and see what the best deal they can get you is.

EE (24 months)
£150 upfront
£43 per month:
30GB data

O2 (24 months)
£50 upfront
£48 per month:
75GB

How much data do you need? Are these plans SIM only or do they include a phone? They are incredibly expensive if they're SIM-only, you could get unlimited data on Three for £27 a month. If you don't actually need such a massive amount of data you could get 12 GB for £12 a month on Virgin which is still quite a lot.

(I'm on Voxi (Vodafone's sub-brand) which is £10 a month for unlimited social media, and 6GB data for other stuff which works out quite well.)
Reply 9
Original post by jameswhughes
How much data do you need? Are these plans SIM only or do they include a phone? They are incredibly expensive if they're SIM-only, you could get unlimited data on Three for £27 a month. If you don't actually need such a massive amount of data you could get 12 GB for £12 a month on Virgin which is still quite a lot.

(I'm on Voxi (Vodafone's sub-brand) which is £10 a month for unlimited social media, and 6GB data for other stuff which works out quite well.)

Oh sorry if I didn't make it clear but both these deals involve the payment of the mobile phone too! I decided to go with EE as in the long run its cheaper, better data speed, free 6 months of apple music, etc. I did want to go with Vodafone but a certain deal I wanted stopped few weeks back sadly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending