The Student Room Group

Who did I get rejected

So I got rejected from Leeds university to do Law.
I don’t understand why though. My predicted grades were pretty good. I was predicted A*A*B so I though I should’ve got an offer.
Maybe it was my personal statement or something.

This has made me scared because now I think I might get rejected from Warwick, Kent or Durham. And i think those are harder to get into.

Is there a way of finding out why I was rejected?

Scroll to see replies

ask the university. only thet can tell you why. It could possibly be the B prediction or something else like your PS or to do with your GCSEs
Original post by Rhodesian
I don’t understand why though. My predicted grades were pretty good. I was predicted A*A*B so I though I should’ve got an offer.

This has made me scared because now I think I might get rejected from Warwick, Kent or Durham. And i think those are harder to get into.

Yes, ask Leeds for feedback.

Which A-levels are you doing? Note that your predictions don't meet their requirements. Do you meet their GCSE requirements?
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Yes, ask Leeds for feedback.

Which A-levels are you doing? Note that your predictions don't meet their requirements. Do you meet their GCSE requirements?

How do I ask for feedback?
Who do I email. And do they actually get back to me? And how long will it take for them to reply.

And yeah I did meet their gcse requirement. I only got one C in Gcse a bunch of As and a few Bs
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
ask the university. only thet can tell you why. It could possibly be the B prediction or something else like your PS or to do with your GCSEs

How do I ask the university?
Email? What’s their email.
Or should I call?
How do I ask for feedback?
Who do I email. And do they actually get back to me? And how long will it take for them to reply.

And yeah I did meet their gcse requirement. I only got one C in Gcse a bunch of As and a few Bs

I think ageshallnot was also asking if you met the A level requirements, which your predictions don't I'm afraid (Leeds ask for AAA in specific subjects). That may be why you didn't get any further with your application.

Email the university's undergraduate admissions and ask. If they can't give you the answer, they will be able to direct you to someone who can.
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I think ageshallnot was also asking if you met the A level requirements, which your predictions don't I'm afraid (Leeds ask for AAA in specific subjects). That may be why you didn't get any further with your application.

Email the university's undergraduate admissions and ask. If they can't give you the answer, they will be able to direct you to someone who can.

I know that I don’t meet the exact requirements.
By I though that A*A*B was very similar to AAA so I though it wouldn’t be a problem.
The other unis I applied to are AAA as well high makes me scared I’ll get rejected.
Original post by PhoenixFortune

Entry requirements
A-level: AAA excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking.
Two of your A-levels must be in traditional academic subjects. Please see our accepted A-level subjects document to check your subjects.
If your choice of A-level subjects has been constrained by factors outside your control (such as if your school or college did not offer certain subjects), please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office to discuss your application.
GCSE: We expect applicants to have a substantial number of GCSE passes at a high standard. Applicants from countries where English is not the first language will also need a grade B in GCSE English language, or another appropriate English language qualification, see below.

You predictions dont meet the entry requirement as you have been predicted a B and Leeds want straight As. Did you choose 2 traditional academic subjects. This isnt a requirement for most universities but is for Leeds. Maybe you dont meet the GCSE requirements to have a high susubstantial number of GCSE passes at a high standard. Do they mean As instead of Bs
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Entry requirements
A-level: AAA excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking.
Two of your A-levels must be in traditional academic subjects. Please see our accepted A-level subjects document to check your subjects.
If your choice of A-level subjects has been constrained by factors outside your control (such as if your school or college did not offer certain subjects), please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office to discuss your application.
GCSE: We expect applicants to have a substantial number of GCSE passes at a high standard. Applicants from countries where English is not the first language will also need a grade B in GCSE English language, or another appropriate English language qualification, see below.

You predictions dont meet the entry requirement as you have been predicted a B and Leeds want straight As. Did you choose 2 traditional academic subjects. This isnt a requirement for most universities but is for Leeds. Maybe you dont meet the GCSE requirements to have a high susubstantial number of GCSE passes at a high standard. Do they mean As instead od of Bs

I got mostly As in GCSEs a few Bs and one C. Including A* in English and B in maths.

My as levels are History A* Religious Studies A* and psychology B

I though that A*A*B is pretty similar to AAA since I got two better than As and one lower so shouldn’t it equal AAA?
I got mostly As in GCSEs a few Bs and one C. Including A* in English and B in maths.

I though that A*A*B is pretty similar to AAA since I got two better than As and one lower so shouldn’t it equal AAA?

Ok so your A-level subjects look fine.

It might be your B prediction. It is entirely up to Leeds how they view A*A*B - you should perhaps have checked before applying. York, for example, might have been a better bet because they accept a range of roughly equivalent grades.

They dont equal each other. Most leading universities dont use the ucas points system which would make them acceptable. You were told you needed specific grades and it really couldnt be any clearer. You have chosen to ignore it and still pretend you meet the grades when you dont. It is entirely your fault you have been rejected and will probably be rejected elsewhere. Hopefully at least one will accept you but there is no guarantee they will. You would best be advised to check out universities that accept a B at A level so you can apply there through Extra if you get 5 rejections. It was totally irresponsible to apply to 5 universities that you dont meet the entry requirement.
Reply 11
They dont equal each other. Most leading universities dont use the ucas points system which would make them acceptable. You were told you needed specific grades and it really couldnt be any clearer. You have chosen to ignore it and still pretend you meet the grades when you dont. It is entirely your fault you have been rejected and will probably be rejected elsewhere. Hopefully at least one will accept you but there is no guarantee they will. You would best be advised to check out universities that accept a B at A level so you can apply there through Extra if you get 5 rejections. It was totally irresponsible to apply to 5 universities that you dont meet the entry requirement.

I used the UCAS offer calculator for all the universities I applied to.
The lowest was 40% and that was to Durham which I know is a stretch for me.
60% for Warwick and more for the other choices.

I emailed Leeds let’s see what they say.
Anyway I still haven’t decided whether to take a gap year yet. If I don’t get any offers I’ll just revise loads get A*AA and re apply next year.
I used the UCAS offer calculator for all the universities I applied to.
The lowest was 40% and that was to Durham which I know is a stretch for me.
60% for Warwick and more for the other choices.

I emailed Leeds let’s see what they say.
Anyway I still haven’t decided whether to take a gap year yet. If I don’t get any offers I’ll just revise loads get A*AA and re apply next year.

Durham are likely to be even fussier than Leeds but Kent should hopefully make you an offer.
Reply 13
Original post by harrysbar
Durham are likely to be even fussier than Leeds but Kent should hopefully make you an offer.

Yeah I know. I really want to go either Warwick or Durham. If I do t get an offer from either I think I’ll just take a gap year and re apply with my A levels.

So I’ve decided to stop thinking about university and university offers and just focus on getting the best a levels. I need A*AA minimum!

Trouble is, your thinking/summizing/assuming doesn't cut the mustard, I'm afraid! A bit of simple research beforehand would have told you that - if they are asking for a minimum grade A in all subjects, offering them a predicted grade B doesn't wash. If your predicted grades were A*A*A (and had been offered a place) and your actual grades achieved were A*A*B, they might have still offered you a place but, applying without the minimum is usally an automatic rejection, for competitive courses.
Yeah I know. I really want to go either Warwick or Durham. If I do t get an offer from either I think I’ll just take a gap year and re apply with my A levels.

So I’ve decided to stop thinking about university and university offers and just focus on getting the best a levels. I need A*AA minimum!

Hopefully Warwick will make you an offer but Durham is unlikely.

Let us know how when you hear back from Warwick (fingers crossed for you).

If you don't want to accept Kent, you still have other options such as Extra and Clearing - good Unis should still have vacancies, even in Law.

you will prob get rejected from Warwick and Durham but I reckon you are very likely to get an offer from Kent.
UCAS calculator? Yeah, universities don't recommend using it, as proven with your experience.

Maybe they just don't accept equiv. A-Levels. You might have got in with AAA.

I am not sure about the PS being faulty. You'd have to **** it up badly to not get in, as that's what the PS is there to do -- to show you didn't **** it up rather than positively impress -- anyone with half a brain cell can manage that "feat". Remember, Durham has the LNAT so they have more info to make a decision. No guarantee you'd be rejected by either Warwick or Durham.
Original post by Simbasoul
Trouble is, your thinking/summizing/assuming doesn't cut the mustard, I'm afraid! A bit of simple research beforehand would have told you that - if they are asking for a minimum grade A in all subjects, offering them a predicted grade B doesn't wash. If your predicted grades were A*A*A (and had been offered a place) and your actual grades achieved were A*A*B, they might have still offered you a place but, applying without the minimum is usally an automatic rejection, for competitive courses.

Plenty of unis take equiv. grades. It is not unreasonable to assume Leeds would, especially if the UCAS Offer Calculator says you have a good chance of getting an offer; and especially especially as it's not really an elite course. They just try to look picky with entry requirements to look more impressive; similar to York with their interview process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending