The Student Room Group

Leave of absence and transferring

I'm struggling at university because of health and welfare issues and want to be at a local university back home. I am in my first year of study.
I was wondering what my options are. The options I have are:
Drop out and apply for the first year again at my home university. However, the UCAS deadline has already passed so I might not even be considered
Take a leave of absence and transfer to my home university for the academic year of 2019. however, I am not sure if I can even transfer that way
How will both of these affect my student finance?
Any advice?
Original post by LA_98
I'm struggling at university because of health and welfare issues and want to be at a local university back home. I am in my first year of study.
Drop out and apply for the first year again at my home university. However, the UCAS deadline has already passed so I might not even be considered
Take a leave of absence and transfer to my home university for the academic year of 2019. however, I am not sure if I can even transfer that way
Any advice?

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your health and welfare issues. I'd recommend you contact your universities student support department, they should be able to offer some guidance that may help if you are finding it detrimental to your university life. Our Student support department has helped many students and I'm sure this will help you.

Although I cannot give specifics on Student Finance I am aware of their structure but please note this may well have changed so I would recommend to contact them directly for up to date information.

Regarding your options I would expect that both of these options will affect your student finance, for instance if you receive a maintenance loan they will most likely be asking for you to repay a portion of the loan back before your study finishes as it was designed to last you a full term but you would be dropping out.

I'm not sure if taking a leave of absense would require repayment as it is on special grounds but I would certainly get in touch with them to see. Regardless of how/when you leave this will still count as a year of study. If you have picked a 3 year course you will have a "gift year" available (4 years total) in the event something like this occurs. If you want to transfer starting a fresh course you will no longer have access to that "gift year" as you will have used it up. For instance if you apply for another 3 year course you will only have 3 years of funding available.

In any case I would contact student finance directly about the funding, it is best to find out what their protocols are as of this year and you will gather specifics in order to be prepared and provide you a smooth transition to your new course.

I hope this helps and you feel a bit more informed!

Best of luck for whatever decision you make. :thumbsup:

Patrick:lep:
Original post by LA_98
Any advice?

If you're in England, then try posting in the Ask Student Finance England forum - a representative from the company will get back to you with accurate information.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Regarding applying to your home university, it's worth noting that this year's cohort of 17-18 year olds in Year 13 and applying for university is smaller than ever before, so universities are likely to be scrabbling for students on results day through clearing.

It could also be worth submitting either a late UCAS application or going through UCAS extra. As long as your "home university" isn't a top university la Durham/Imperial/UCL) you'd probably still have a chance of getting an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending