The Student Room Group

Toyota Yaris for circa £500 reliable

My brother who has a disability but needs a new car for his job is asking me to help him with a new car. If I buy him a £500 Toyota Yaris will it be reliable runner for him for a year?

Thanks
Impossible to know without any info, how many miles, year, last mot, when was it last serviced...
Reply 2
Original post by JordyJRT
Impossible to know without any info, how many miles, year, last mot, when was it last serviced...

I appreciate that but generally your looking at 100k miles plus are they generally reliable cars?
Toyotas are generally pretty reliable cars, in fact, Toyota itself is probably one of the most reliable manufacturers on the market, while their luxury brand, Lexus, is generally hailed as the most reliable manufacturer on the market.

The thing with Toyota, or so I'm told, is that repairs can be a bit costly compared to other brands. Reliability is top notch, but if something does go wrong, it'll probably cost you bit more than it would in another car. I think that's good information to keep in mind with the car costing £500. Most Yarises around the price, that I'm seeing, are anywhere from 14-20 years old and most have either been written off or have issues.

I'm not saying it'd be a bad buy, but when you're working with such a low budget, you need to have your wits about you. A car going for £500 is going to be old, possibly due for some costly replacement job(s), likely has some sort of issue and it most likely has some sort of history behind it.

A £500 car is the sort you might buy to coast with for a while until your source a car you actually want. It might last a year, it might not. I'd be surprised if it lasted much longer than a year though. Cars this cheap are usually this cheap for a reason.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by calm12345
My brother who has a disability but needs a new car for his job is asking me to help him with a new car. If I buy him a £500 Toyota Yaris will it be reliable runner for him for a year?

Thanks

If your brother has a disability, is he eligible for a motability car?

Quick Reply

Latest