The Student Room Group

Help lol pt.2

Hello,

so I received offers for studying law from Lancaster, Reading, Leicester, Portsmouth and Essex, and I did do some research but every table and ranking list says different so I'm not sure which 2 offers to keep... any help would mean a lot :smile: Thanks
Original post by foreignerinneed
Hello,

so I received offers for studying law from Lancaster, Reading, Leicester, Portsmouth and Essex, and I did do some research but every table and ranking list says different so I'm not sure which 2 offers to keep... any help would mean a lot :smile: Thanks

The most highly regarded Uni of that lot is Lancaster.

The second highest would be Reading or Leicester ... Reading's a nicer town and the campus is attractive...maybe you should visit them on Applicant days to see for yourself.
Original post by harrysbar
The most highly regarded Uni of that lot is Lancaster.

The second highest would be Reading or Leicester ... Reading's a nicer town and the campus is attractive...maybe you should visit them on Applicant days to see for yourself.

Sadly I still live too far away :frown: I see that Essex and Portsmouth don't really have that much of a reputation for law... Between Lancaster, Reading, and Leicester which city is the best for student life?
Sadly I still live too far away :frown: I see that Essex and Portsmouth don't really have that much of a reputation for law... Between Lancaster, Reading, and Leicester which city is the best for student life?

Lancaster is the smallest but the Uni does organise a lot of sporting and social activities for the students, plus the city is attractive (in my opinion) and has some nice shops and places to eat/drink. There are a few clubs, not that many though.

Reading is much bigger and more lively than Lancaster and the town has a great shopping centre (The Oracle) plus loads of bars, restaurants, a comedy club and lots of other clubs, even one on campus.

Leicester I have never visited so I don't really know ... but I have heard it's a dump!
Lancaster is the smallest but the Uni does organise a lot of sporting and social activities for the students, plus the city is attractive (in my opinion) and has some nice shops and places to eat/drink. There are a few clubs, not that many though.

Reading is much bigger and more lively than Lancaster and the town has a great shopping centre (The Oracle) plus loads of bars, restaurants, a comedy club and lots of other clubs, even one on campus.

Leicester I have never visited so I don't really know ... but I have heard it's a dump!

thank you so much for the advice :smile:

I did some research and Lancaster seems to be the best choice for a law degree but something about the accommodation just sets me off, after seeing Portsmouth's nice student accommodation the Lancaster one seems kind off old and not really taken care of regardless Lancaster being a high placed uni

I did some research and Lancaster seems to be the best choice for a law degree but something about the accommodation just sets me off, after seeing Portsmouth's nice student accommodation the Lancaster one seems kind off old and not really taken care of regardless Lancaster being a high placed uni

Actually, Lancaster has won awards for the quality of its student accomodation - lots of it is really quite nice! My daughter was in Lonsdale College which is quite modern (so is Cartmel, County and Grizedale). The townhouses on campus are the newest (I think) and as long as you choose either them or a superior en suite, you will get a decent room. You can't tell everything from photos but I have seen quite a few student rooms and Lancaster compares favourably to other Uni rooms I have seen. I seem to remember that Bowland College is the one to avoid as it is the oldest (but also cheapest).

I haven't seen the student accomodation in Portsmouth so I can't comment on that but Lancaster does have decent accomodation if you are able to pay a bit more for the newer blocks which are all ensuite (the same is true of Reading Uni).

Hello @foreignerinneed,

Great you are researching Lancaster University and congratulations on the offer! :smile:

I am sure you know a lot of the facts but specifically with regard to accommodation, it is great. Lancaster University has such a variety of accommodation varying in price. We are a collegiate University so your accommodation will be in a college which provides a great community. There are a wide range of options with varying amount of students per flat from standard and superior en-suite. We also have townhouses which are a very unique type of accommodation style and highly popular. These townhouses are available in County and Grizedale colleges. Lancaster University has been rated the UK's Best University Halls seven times since 2010 in the annual National Student Housing survey. There is also 24/7 support with porters providing a security presence day and night.

There are also lots of options for accommodation in 2nd Year too if you decide to live in the city.

If I can give any more information on Lancaster University then please let me know and I will answer your questions accordingly.

Have a great day.

Rebecca
LUMS Student Ambassador
(edited 5 years ago)
Actually, Lancaster has won awards for the quality of its student accomodation - lots of it is really quite nice! My daughter was in Lonsdale College which is quite modern (so is Cartmel, County and Grizedale). The townhouses on campus are the newest (I think) and as long as you choose either them or a superior en suite, you will get a decent room. You can't tell everything from photos but I have seen quite a few student rooms and Lancaster compares favourably to other Uni rooms I have seen. I seem to remember that Bowland College is the one to avoid as it is the oldest (but also cheapest).

I haven't seen the student accomodation in Portsmouth so I can't comment on that but Lancaster does have decent accomodation if you are able to pay a bit more for the newer blocks which are all ensuite (the same is true of Reading Uni).

Oh wow didn't know any of this, thank you so much, this helped a lot :smile:
Original post by Lancaster University Student Ambassador
Hello @foreignerinneed,

Great you are researching Lancaster University and congratulations on the offer! :smile:

I am sure you know a lot of the facts but specifically with regard to accommodation, it is great. Lancaster University has such a variety of accommodation varying in price. We are a collegiate University so your accommodation will be in a college which provides a great community. There are a wide range of options with varying amount of students per flat from standard and superior en-suite. We also have townhouses which are a very unique type of accommodation style and highly popular. These townhouses are available in County and Grizedale colleges. Lancaster University has been rated the UK's Best University Halls seven times since 2010 in the annual National Student Housing survey. There is also 24/7 support with porters providing a security presence day and night.

There are also lots of options for accommodation in 2nd Year too if you decide to live in the city.

If I can give any more information on Lancaster University then please let me know and I will answer your questions accordingly.

Have a great day.

Rebecca
LUMS Student Ambassador

Thank you so much for respoding, a lot of people confirmed that the accommodation at Lancaster is great so maybe I judged it to hard based on old pictures. I believe I'm now 100% sure to make Lancaster my firm choice :smile: Again, thank you so much
Thank you so much for respoding, a lot of people confirmed that the accommodation at Lancaster is great so maybe I judged it to hard based on old pictures. I believe I'm now 100% sure to make Lancaster my firm choice :smile: Again, thank you so much

That is great news! If you ever have any more questions then just ask. :smile:

Have a great day.

Rebecca
LUMS Student Ambassador
Oh wow didn't know any of this, thank you so much, this helped a lot :smile:

Great, glad it helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending