Please! can someone mark my a Christmas carol answer.

Watch
Alyshaox
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Starting with this extract, how does Dickens present the ghosts in A Christmas Carol?
Write about:
• how Dickens presents this ghost.
• how Dickens presents any of the ghosts in the novel as a whole.
(30 marks)

ANSWER:
Dickens presents the Ghost of Christmas present to be Genial but respected. The ghost is established through the quote "joyful" this creates an understanding that Scrooge has no reason to be intimated but the ghost and should be "Free" to feel welcome in the ghost's presence. The ghost of Christmas present has a "constrained demeanour" conveying that the ghost is choosing to behave as "cheery" But this manner is not necessary. Dickens presenting the ghost in this way allegorically illustrates that because the ghost chooses to behave "genial" that is what can earn you respect and power, and that it is not money that necessarily gets you there.

Dickens presents the ghost of Christmas present as kindhearted and pure. "joyful air" this imagery conveys purity to be surrounded by the ghost's presence meaning the ghost is overfilled with joyfulness and it is almost contagious. The ghost is established to be powerful as it can change or affect scrooges "air". Parabolically this illustrates that because we cannot live without "air" Dickens implies we cannot live without goodness. Contextually, Dickens wrote a Christmas carol for the rich to understand that you can't do anything about the people being left poor but by giving aid to reduce the social divide and create a socially responsibility for everyone.

However, dickens presents the Ghost of Christmas past to be commanding. "Rise and walk with me!" The imperatives "rise" and "walk" suggests the ghost is to be obeyed ,this demeanour presents the ghost to have more control here.This contradicts to scrooge's character as he is the one expected to have control .
Last edited by Alyshaox; 1 year ago
Lala143
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alyshaox)Starting with this extract, how does Dickens present the ghosts in A Christmas Carol?
Write about:
• how Dickens presents this ghost.
• how Dickens presents any of the ghosts in the novel as a whole.
(30 marks)

ANSWER:
Dickens presents the Ghost of Christmas present to be Genial but respected. The ghost is established through the quote "joyful" this creates an understanding that Scrooge has no reason to be intimated but the ghost and should be "Free" to feel welcome in the ghost's presence. The ghost of Christmas present has a "constrained demeanour" conveying that the ghost is choosing to behave as "cheery" But this manner is not necessary. Dickens presenting the ghost in this way allegorically illustrates that because the ghost chooses to behave "genial" that is what can earn you respect and power, and that it is not money that necessarily gets you there.

Dickens presents the ghost of Christmas present as kindhearted and pure. "joyful air" this imagery conveys purity to be surrounded by the ghost's presence meaning the ghost is overfilled with joyfulness and it is almost contagious. The ghost is established to be powerful as it can change or affect scrooges "air". Parabolically this illustrates that because we cannot live without "air" Dickens implies we cannot live without goodness. Contextually, Dickens wrote a Christmas carol for the rich to understand that you can't do anything about the people being left poor but by giving aid to reduce the social divide and create a socially responsibility for everyone.

However, dickens presents the Ghost of Christmas past to be commanding. "Rise and walk with me!" The imperatives "rise" and "walk" suggests the ghost is to be obeyed ,this demeanour presents the ghost to have more control here.This contradicts to scrooge's character as he is the one expected to have control .
I don't know what mark you would get but I would estimate around 24.
A good exam technique for English literature I made is
Point
Evidence
Analysis of the evidence
Context relating to your point
Zoom Analysis- you zoom into one of the words in the text and analyse it in depth
Explain the effect on the reader and anything else you think is relevant
Evaluate all your evidence and come to a conclusion-this will make you seem judicial
Alyshaox
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Lala143)
A good exam technique for English literature I made is
Point
Evidence
Analysis of the evidence
Context relating to your point
Zoom Analysis- you zoom into one of the words in the text and analyse it in depth
Explain the effect on the reader and anything else you think is relevant
Evaluate all your evidence and come to a conclusion-this will make you seem judicial
Omg thank you!
Lala143
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alyshaox)
Omg thank you!
Your welcome! Hope it helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (138)
15.66%
Uncertainty around my education (143)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
9.42%
Isolating with family (60)
6.81%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.75%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (77)
8.74%
Loneliness (90)
10.22%
Financial worries (38)
4.31%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (78)
8.85%
Exposure to negative news/social media (60)
6.81%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (81)
9.19%

Watched Threads