The Student Room Group

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Scroll to see replies

David Cameron deliberately resigned after the result. Then in came a prime minister who has done **** all except fail to secure brexit. If Theresa May has done anything else at all as PM, I've bent over to pick up a penny and missed it.
Would you rather Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn:

:fight:
OR
:shakehand:
????????????????????????????????????
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Knowing what you now know about Brexit and all the challenges/new opportunities it presents, what would you vote for if given the chance - leave or remain?

Have your say!

My mum voted for what I wanted as I was still 17 and it was a choice she wanted me to have as it would affect me more. I said to leave as I didn't agree with the ways the EU ran things and believed that our country should take a leap and try to do what may be right for us. However, nobody really understood the campaign fully and the details to what it meant to leave so we are in a terrible situation at the moment. At the end of the day the country voted and we should respect that, our minds now should be focused on getting a deal that helps us. I believe that we need the deal that May has proposed even though its **** because a no deal option throws us into the abyss completely blind.
Leave. Project fear has proven to be false. I'm not worried about it
Original post by Burton Bridge
Yes and No

I believe the tories regardless of PM could never of delivered a meaningful Brexit, their party is too divided on the subject, bring the DUP into the situation and the Irish issue and the situation becomes a total hot potato for any tory leader, even a strong one like Thatcher could not pull off.

I belive Labour would be in a much better position to debate a deal because it would become easier to compromise within the party.

All the above said labour and the tories are too busy playing party politics to do this. So yes I have in a way, the last party whom would of made a great government in my opinion was Edd Milibands Labour and the country really messed up when we rejected him for Cameron

Problem is that last time labour were in power they handed it over and said they had ran out of money, also labour have no deffinate stance on how they would deliver on the referendum result without re asking the same question and losing the trust of the British public in the government at the same time
(edited 5 years ago)
Obviously Remain.

No Deal is a far far far worse deal than we have currently.

Northern Ireland was always going to be an issue and that circle can’t really be squared.

Despite the fact that I do believe there should minimum time scales on referenda, that was not agreed before the 2016 vote.

‘Democracy’ is ever changing and it is pure fear from Leavers opposing this.

As someone who now is just about against Scottish Independence, I have to accept the 2014 vote is not going to put the question to bed. Another vote is probably not that far away...

In the exact same way that another vote on brexit can and probably should occur on the final agreed leaving deal vs remaining with article 50 extended.

Otherwise, on the 29th of March we walk into the great unknown. Completely destroying the economic stability and political power we once had.
(edited 5 years ago)
It feels like a betrayal how there are calls from members of parliament for a second referendum instead of trying to execute the will of the people that clearly wanted to leave the EU during the referendum a few years ago. I initially voted to remain, but I would change it to leave to show the government that just because you did not like the first referendum result does not mean you keep creating new referendums until you like the result. Is that really a democracy?
Original post by Unistudent77
Obviously Remain.

No Deal is a far far far worse deal than we have currently.

Northern Ireland was always going to be an issue and that circle can’t really be squared.

Despite the fact that I do believe there should minimum time scales on referenda, that was not agreed before the 2016 vote.

‘Democracy’ is ever changing and it is pure fear from Leavers opposing this.

As someone who now is just about against Scottish Independence, I have to accept the 2014 vote is not going to put the question to bed. Another vote is probably not that far away...

In the exact same way that another vote on brexit can and probably should occur on the final agreed leaving deal vs remaining with article 50 extended.

Otherwise, on the 29th of March we walk into the great unknown. Completely destroying the economic stability and political power we once had.

The Northern Ireland border issue has been used as a political football but is somewhat of a red herring, Ireland and the EU have not started to plan for said border as they do not intend to have one, neither do we so who exactly is going to force the issue?
Remain 100%
Original post by ColinDent
The Northern Ireland border issue has been used as a political football but is somewhat of a red herring, Ireland and the EU have not started to plan for said border as they do not intend to have one, neither do we so who exactly is going to force the issue?

I’ve heard the republic are planning for one

and can say no deal planning is in force and personnel may well be drafted in from Scotland and elsewhere to NI in the event of a no deal (not that I really expect disorder on a large scale in NI)

How do you stop lots of immigrants using the freedom of movement through the Republic and gaining access to NI?
Let’s be honest, leaving was all about ‘immigration’ and something perplexing to do with an imperialist ideal of ‘sovereignty’. (Other factors are of course all involved but those would be the main two
Remain.

I voted remain in the referendum. The failure of leave supporters to active plan the details of Brexit prior to the referendum has led to this farce over the last two years, which has only solidified my desire to remain.
80% of TSR is libtarded....who knew....?
May.jpg
I’ve heard the republic are planning for one

and can say no deal planning is in force and personnel may well be drafted in from Scotland and elsewhere to NI in the event of a no deal (not that I really expect disorder on a large scale in NI)

How do you stop lots of immigrants using the freedom of movement through the Republic and gaining access to NI?
Let’s be honest, leaving was all about ‘immigration’ and something perplexing to do with an imperialist ideal of ‘sovereignty’. (Other factors are of course all involved but those would be the main two

You heard wrong, sources please.
leaving was all about ‘immigration’ and something perplexing to do with an imperialist ideal of ‘sovereignty’. (Other factors are of course all involved but those would be the main two

An imperialist ideal of sovereignty? Can't say I recall old Nige (or anyone, for that matter) going on telly and saying leaving the EU would be the start of a new British Empire. What on earth is an imperialist ideal of sovereignty anyway? Sounds like a bit of an oxymoron to me, considering sovereignty usually is a by-product of countries gaining independence from colonial nations.
Original post by doubleGs
David Cameron deliberately resigned after the result. Then in came a prime minister who has done **** all except fail to secure brexit. If Theresa May has done anything else at all as PM, I've bent over to pick up a penny and missed it.

No you didn't miss anything lol

This whole mess is the tories playing party politics for their parties gain and Messing it up like they always do
Original post by Gingermint123
Problem is that last time labour were in power they handed it over and said they had ran out of money, also labour have no deffinate stance on how they would deliver on the referendum result without re asking the same question and losing the trust of the British public in the government at the same time

Labour's current stance on Brexit is poor to make a vast understatement. The no money note backfired and was in serious bad taste however let's not kid ourselves it's the Tories that have totally wrecked this country since 2010, even without Brexit look at government borrowing figures, the national debt, homelessness just about any statistic you wish to veiw will show us the utter incompetence the Conservative party are. Labour dealt with the global banking crisis well in comparison, there was no calling in the IMF for us, unlike many of our European partners, Labour increased national assets to be sold later, only to lose power so the tories gifted them to their wealthy mates. My biggest criticism of Labour handing of national assets was selling the gold reserves off but that nothing in comparison to these set of muppets
Original post by Burton Bridge
No you didn't miss anything lol

This whole mess is the tories playing party politics for their parties gain and Messing it up like they always do

And the rest of parliament trying to stop it.
I genuinely despair at the state of the opposition which at any other time in history would be streets ahead of the government in opinion polls not 5 points behind !
Original post by ColinDent
And the rest of parliament trying to stop it.
I genuinely despair at the state of the opposition which at any other time in history would be streets ahead of the government in opinion polls not 5 points behind !

Agreed, Labour are really playing a blinder at the moment. They are managing to alienate alot of their core loyal voters by simply not listening to us.
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Knowing what you now know about Brexit and all the challenges/new opportunities it presents, what would you vote for if given the chance - leave or remain?

Have your say!

In 2016 I voted leave but was somewhat soft/indifferent. I am now a hard leave man.

The arrogance of the political class and people’s vote campaign is breathtaking and nothing I have seen yet suggests that there is any less long term potential from brexit than I thought before.

I still ill think we are likely to leave but it looks like it will be with a Norway like option meaning that we will be extracting ourselves further bit by bit for the next decade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending