The Student Room Group

Can I get a job in finance/consulting with a biochemistry degree

I’m currently on a gap year and have received offers from KCL and Warwick to do Biochemistry this year. I picked the course because some part of me wants to go into working in the pharmaceutical industry, however another part of me wants to go into some sort of finance or management consulting. So my question is do you think it’s possible to get a job in finance/management with a biochemistry degree?
Original post by Iam.Tomi
I’m currently on a gap year and have received offers from KCL and Warwick to do Biochemistry this year. I picked the course because some part of me wants to go into working in the pharmaceutical industry, however another part of me wants to go into some sort of finance or management consulting. So my question is do you think it’s possible to get a job in finance/management with a biochemistry degree?

Yes.

Plenty of people break into finance with non-finance related degrees.
Reply 2
The majority of finance/consultancy firms (at graduate level anyway), are not focused on your university degree. They assume you know nothing when you first join anyway, so you learn from the bottom up like everyone else!

As a graduate in financial services, many people in my intake have not come from a finance background. If anything, having that knowledge in another field could help you if you end up working on, say, any pharma clients - you'll have more knowledge on the type of work they conduct than anyone else.

Good luck with your choice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending