The Student Room Group

Anyone else glad that they're not going to a top 10 university?

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

To me ranking doesnt matter, but sometimes I do wish I went to a "well known" uni.
What’s wrong with Tories? Don’t you want to learn about other views. Too 10 unis are meant to be challenging since it’s what they are known to be.
Reply 3
My insurance isn't quite leading the tables (still quite high though) but I wouldn't mind at all going to that one since the course I've applied for there is pretty unique, I think.

But, "full of tories"? That's a weird stereotype. There's even a soviet flag in King's College in Cambridge.
Original post by iseesparksfly
I feel like there would be so much pressure tbh, and some of which (especially top 5) would be full of tories.

Their facilities are probably better, of course, but I just don't think they'd be worth it.

I'm still going to a really good one, Russell Group in fact, but I'm completely satisfied not going to a top 10.

what's a top 5 uni? LSE is ranked something like 119 for student satisfaction and has a Bronze TEF teaching rating to justify it
Original post by Professional G
What’s wrong with Tories? Don’t you want to learn about other views. Too 10 unis are meant to be challenging since it’s what they are known to be.

They wear old expensive jackets, which smell of whippet blood and are infrequently washed.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
what's a top 5 uni? LSE is ranked something like 119 for student satisfaction and has a Bronze TEF teaching rating to justify it

combination of factors e.g. graduate prospects, starting salary, entry req etc... meaning it is ranked really high - admittedly seems v.pressurising
Done a top 5 and ex-poly. Prefer the second in almost all aspects.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Done a top 5 and ex-poly. Prefer the second in almost all aspects.

Did a top 10 and then did a top 5. Prefer the latter in all aspects.

Don't prove anything.
Original post by Notoriety
Did a top 10 and then did a top 5. Prefer the latter in all aspects.

Don't prove anything.

Wasn’t trying to prove anything, just my opinion
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
combination of factors e.g. graduate prospects, starting salary, entry req etc... meaning it is ranked really high - admittedly seems v.pressurising

This is pretty accurate but I would say it’s the same for top 10 unis as well.

Source:I go to a top 10 uni and it’s pretty stressful
Reply 11
Original post by Professional G

I know enough about them already to know that I don't want to spend time with them
Reply 12
Original post by Sinnoh
My insurance isn't quite leading the tables (still quite high though) but I wouldn't mind at all going to that one since the course I've applied for there is pretty unique, I think.

But, "full of tories"? That's a weird stereotype. There's even a soviet flag in King's College in Cambridge.

There's definitely more tories in those unis because a lot of students will have gone to private schools (in comparison to normal) and people in private schools tend to be wealthier and wealthier people tend to be tories - not always, but there's still a higher chance
I know enough about them already to know that I don't want to spend time with them

I’m friends with many Tories and we always make fun of the parties. Plus we don’t spend everyday talking about politics. I think just knowing about them isn’t enough.
You actually have to meet them and maybe you might actually like them
Reply 14
Original post by CollectiveSoul

Uni league tables I mean, like Oxford, Cambridge, St. Andrews
my uni is quite low down in the league tables (Salford) but I've had no problem finding a well respectedgraduate job in the civil service (I'm in my final year of my degree). Your uni experience is what you make it, you can either be proactive and search for opportunities or you can sit back and only do the work given to you. I'm glad I didn't go to a top 10 uni in the end. I had offers but I feel the smallness of my uni department allowed me to flourish.
(edited 5 years ago)
Well, I've not really seen evidence that a non top 10 uni is automatically easier in terms of workload.
Is there any uni in the UK that is majority tory?
Uni league tables I mean, like Oxford, Cambridge, St. Andrews

i graduated from st andrews which has a 2:3 ratio between sciences and arts degrees.

nobody except the medics found it extremely stressful... people who did arts didnt find it stressful at all (bar IR students)
Reply 18
There's definitely more tories in those unis because a lot of students will have gone to private schools (in comparison to normal) and people in private schools tend to be wealthier and wealthier people tend to be tories - not always, but there's still a higher chance

Even for private schools, you'd be surprised. Quite a lot of champagne-communism.
LOL the salt in this thread.
"I can't get into a top 10 uni but other people I know can... Actually, I'm glad I can't don't! Those people having nothing on me! :u:"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending