The Student Room Group

Pap smear cost

I thought they'd be free on the NHS but apparently they're around £100. Nothing comes up when I google 'free pap smear'. Wtf do I do because I'm too poor for that but I don't wanna die of cancer lmfao is that really too much to ask for
I'm pretty sure smear tests are free.
Original post by Anonymous
I thought they'd be free on the NHS but apparently they're around £100. Nothing comes up when I google 'free pap smear'. Wtf do I do because I'm too poor for that but I don't wanna die of cancer lmfao is that really too much to ask for

How old are you?
Reply 3
Original post by Kater Murr
I'm pretty sure smear tests are free.

i cant find anything about free pap smears on the nhs website
Reply 4
Original post by Seamus123
How old are you?

18, i know you shouldn't need to think about pap smears until you're like 25 but i have some symptoms
That should be free. One of my granddaughters is 18 too and she had one a couple of months ago. She had some symptoms and the GP sent her for one.

Get a GP appointment and ask for one.
They are definitely free in the UK. I recommend that you google "cervical smear" rather than "pap smear" or just call your GP surgery. :-)
They're not called pap smears in the UK - that's probably why you're not finding anything on a google search. That's a US term. They're called smear tests in the UK

Smear tests are free on the NHS. Women aged 25 and above are called routinely.

If you have symptoms that concern you, you should speak to your GP. They'll be able to organise any tests that you need, free of charge, including if they think you need a smear test.
Reply 8
Original post by junior.doctor
They're not called pap smears in the UK - that's probably why you're not finding anything on a google search. That's a US term. They're called smear tests in the UK

Smear tests are free on the NHS. Women aged 25 and above are called routinely.

If you have symptoms that concern you, you should speak to your GP. They'll be able to organise any tests that you need, free of charge, including if they think you need a smear test.

oh okay, thank you. ive now read some articles that basically say you're not allowed to have one until you're 25?? apparently some women have died because they were 24 and were refused to be given a smear test. im only 18
oh okay, thank you. ive now read some articles that basically say you're not allowed to have one until you're 25?? apparently some women have died because they were 24 and were refused to be given a smear test. im only 18

You need to go to your GP and discuss your symptoms, and they can then advise what the next best step is. You wouldn't be able to automatically book in with the nurse for a smear.

A smear test is a screening test, this means it's NOT meant for women who have concerning symptoms. A screening test is to check well women who do not have symptoms. No matter what your age, over or under 25, a smear test is not what's used to test women who already have symptoms. That's why you need to talk to your GP about your concerns. But you also shouldn't be surprised if a smear test is not what's immediately recommended. If the GP is concerned that your symptoms sound significant, then they can organise the next most appropriate investigations.
Original post by junior.doctor
You need to go to your GP and discuss your symptoms, and they can then advise what the next best step is. You wouldn't be able to automatically book in with the nurse for a smear.

A smear test is a screening test, this means it's NOT meant for women who have concerning symptoms. A screening test is to check well women who do not have symptoms. No matter what your age, over or under 25, a smear test is not what's used to test women who already have symptoms. That's why you need to talk to your GP about your concerns. But you also shouldn't be surprised if a smear test is not what's immediately recommended. If the GP is concerned that your symptoms sound significant, then they can organise the next most appropriate investigations.

the gps in my area are horrible, patronising, and always tell me off like a child when i don't have anything wrong with me. ive had more lectures about wasting their time than actual diagnosises. i think ill pass. thanks for the help.
the gps in my area are horrible, patronising, and always tell me off like a child when i don't have anything wrong with me. ive had more lectures about wasting their time than actual diagnosises. i think ill pass. thanks for the help.

So you would rather just ignore symptoms that you think may be due to cancer? Sounds mature...

You have concerning symptoms but you aren't going to seek medical help?
So you would rather just ignore symptoms that you think may be due to cancer? Sounds mature...

Original post by DrawTheLine
You have concerning symptoms but you aren't going to seek medical help?

they told me to stop coming unless i was certain

Quick Reply

Latest