The Student Room Group

Picking A levels

I would like to be a doctor or a physicist,meaning either medicine or physics in uni.I am an indecisive one,I am considering picking chemistry,maths,physics.Should I do biology as a 4th A level or not?Or should I have an even harder think about what I want to be?I do believe I am capable of handling 4 by the way.
slow down please...breathe, it sounds like you've been overthinking this and it's stressing you out. What are you completely sure on picking this could be based on what you like best or uni requirements for subjects you want to pick. I hear that Maths and Physics is a demanding subject not to deter. But you have an idea of what you want to be roll with and see what appeal both ways. It'll stop you from being indecisive if you think of it for a moment as your only option?

- what subjects do you need to do medicine and do you see yourself being a doctor?
- what subjects do you need to do physics at UNI and would that automatically add maths and physics to the equation (idk).
- do you see yourself as a physicist?
- what are you doing as additional GCSEs aside from the compulsury and do you enjoy those?

I know that you "believe [you're] capable of handling 4" but do you really need to?
With the three sciences you must have an idea from GCSEs or currently doing GCSEs what you're better at or enjoy?
i think chemistry is needed for most medicine courses- probably the most important subject tbh. biology's also preferred for many unis, though you can go into medicine without doing biology at a level. most medicine courses ask for at least two science subjects at a level, which can include maths also.
you have no idea what the a level workload'll be like (it's a lot more than gcse) so give it a good thought before being absolutely sure that you want to take 4 a levels.
Original post by entertainmyfaith
i think chemistry is needed for most medicine courses- probably the most important subject tbh. biology's also preferred for many unis, though you can go into medicine without doing biology at a level. most medicine courses ask for at least two science subjects at a level, which can include maths also.
you have no idea what the a level workload'll be like (it's a lot more than gcse) so give it a good thought before being absolutely sure that you want to take 4 a levels.

I see,but without biology at A level am I able to go to a good uni to do medicine or not?By good uni I mean Russell group.
Original post by Readthetextbook
I see,but without biology at A level am I able to go to a good uni to do medicine or not?By good uni I mean Russell group.

yes, even oxford says chemistry and at least one of bio, physics or maths: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/medicine?wssl=1
you'll need to do your research on the unis and their course requirements

Quick Reply

Latest