The Student Room Group

I need a job

I'm 15, turning 16 in June. I would like a part time job in the Summer although I'm struggling to find one in my area. I don't want to work in a restaurant or anything like that because of anxiety. So far I've thought about retail work but haven't found any in my area.
I've also though about doing an apprenticeship but it would have to be flexible as I'd be studying at Sixth Form by then should I get my grades! Apprenticeship wise I thought of working alongside the mounted police, even if that were to be within horse care rather than riding, but again, I struggled to find that.
Does anyone have any other ideas?
I've thought about it...
Original post by Court.louise
I'm 15, turning 16 in June. I would like a part time job in the Summer although I'm struggling to find one in my area. I don't want to work in a restaurant or anything like that because of anxiety. So far I've thought about retail work but haven't found any in my area.
I've also though about doing an apprenticeship but it would have to be flexible as I'd be studying at Sixth Form by then should I get my grades! Apprenticeship wise I thought of working alongside the mounted police, even if that were to be within horse care rather than riding, but again, I struggled to find that.

99% of places dont take people on until they are 16. A lot also require you to have finished school (i.e. the end of june in year 11). So you may have to wait until the end of june. Most students get jobs in shops, supermarkets, cinemas, fast food places, restaurants etc.
With regards to apprenticeships- you either go to 6th form or do an apprenticeship- you cant do both at the same time. Apprenticeships are usually full time (where you usually go to college fora day a week or something to do the work to gain the qualification alongside working.
Thank you :smile:
catering jobs local cafe
Original post by tesconyc
catering jobs local cafe

Thank you☺
Reply 6
Start writing your CV now and when you've finished school hand it in to any place available. Even if they're not looking for someone they may still offer you a job in the future.
Don't do too many hours though as you will struggle to cope with all the work at sixth form!
Original post by abbyday1
Start writing your CV now and when you've finished school hand it in to any place available. Even if they're not looking for someone they may still offer you a job in the future.
Don't do too many hours though as you will struggle to cope with all the work at sixth form!

I've already started! Thanks for the advice
I spent a lot of time looking for horse care related jobs and that's with experience of doing it already. Places won't employ you for horse care unless you have the qualifications and if you know the owners.
Reply 9
If you have anxiety, do something out of your comfort zone and you will be able to deal with it better. Also don't be picky when you are 16 with no experience, take what you can get
Reply 10
Original post by Court.louise

As others have said, many employers will want you to be 16. Have you thought about volunteering in a charity shop for an afternoon a week? This would help with your confidence and would give you retail experience that would be useful when applying for jobs in the summer. I believe Oxfam etc take volunteers from 14.

Best of luck
I've got my level 1 already and volunteer at a RDA every Friday as well as helping out within holidays. I don't want a job in horse care just an apprenticeship that I could do only 1 day a week, although I'm not sure if ANY apprenticeship is 1 day. Thanks for the response
Original post by marple
As others have said, many employers will want you to be 16. Have you thought about volunteering in a charity shop for an afternoon a week? This would help with your confidence and would give you retail experience that would be useful when applying for jobs in the summer. I believe Oxfam etc take volunteers from 14.

Best of luck

Thank You, that's a good idea

Quick Reply