The Student Room Group

Medicine Course VS 3 A levels : Work load.

What’s the work load of a medicine course at university like compared to the work load of 3 A levels in Maths, Biology, and Chemistry ?

Thanks guys for your time. I know how hard it is being a student at your level.

Lewis.
I think the biggest factor in this is how willing you are to go from getting all top grades best in class to being entirely average and scraping a pass. If you can't hack that and want to gun for being top of the med school you're going to have way more pressure on you than someone who is ok cruising through.

But overall: A bit harder, I would say. How much people work for their A-levels is very individual but that variation will continue into med school so yeah, for most people: a bit harder. I would suggest those that didn't have to work much for A-levels will find the transition tougher, but they will still, most likely, continue to work less than their peers.

Many students initially face the additional challenge of having to look after themselves for the first time in their lives, so there's that too.

Of course some med students also work part-time jobs. Some also do high-level sports requiring 15+ hours of weekly training. Its very much not all work.
Reply 2
Thank you !!

Original post by nexttime
I think the biggest factor in this is how willing you are to go from getting all top grades best in class to being entirely average and scraping a pass. If you can't hack that and want to gun for being top of the med school you're going to have way more pressure on you than someone who is ok cruising through.

But overall: A bit harder, I would say. How much people work for their A-levels is very individual but that variation will continue into med school so yeah, for most people: a bit harder. I would suggest those that didn't have to work much for A-levels will find the transition tougher, but they will still, most likely, continue to work less than their peers.

Many students initially face the additional challenge of having to look after themselves for the first time in their lives, so there's that too.

Of course some med students also work part-time jobs. Some also do high-level sports requiring 15+ hours of weekly training. Its very much not all work.
Reply 3

would you have to work for many hours everyday after 5 fstraight from first year? also is it very factual recall style or more application style exams? Thanks! x
Original post by p_s79
would you have to work for many hours everyday after 5 fstraight from first year? also is it very factual recall style or more application style exams? Thanks! x

As in, would you have scheduled teaching after 5? That would be quite unusual at most places, I assume. I had to do lots - 7am on a Sunday was probably the worst - but that's just because tutorials were quite informally organised and we had to fit in around professor's schedules!

Will you need to do private study and might that be after 5? Yes of course.
(edited 5 years ago)
Which topics did you find most difficult in med school? e.g renal, embryology etc.
Also, what subjects did you recieve your excellents in? Could you comment how did you managed to achieve the excellent grades? Where those only in subjects you enjoyed more?

Thanks in advanced.

How does the grading system work in medicine? For example is it split into pass, merit, distinction?
Reply 7
Original post by lewis.h
What’s the work load of a medicine course at university like compared to the work load of 3 A levels in Maths, Biology, and Chemistry ?

Thanks guys for your time. I know how hard it is being a student at your level.

Lewis.

I imagine it's different for different people.

Personally, I hated the first two years of Medicine. I found it dull and couldn't motivate myself to study. It was just lectures 9-5 about topics I didn't care about.

After that, Medicine became a lot easier (for me). I really enjoyed the clinical aspect of it, I felt like I had responsibility and I didn't feel like I was just 'studying.'

In the first two years of Medicine I would say the workload is more (not necessarily harder) than at A Levels.
Reply 8
Original post by Angury

Personally, I hated the first two years of Medicine. I found it dull and couldn't motivate myself to study. It was just lectures 9-5 about topics I didn't care about.

After that, Medicine became a lot easier (for me). I really enjoyed the clinical aspect of it, I felt like I had responsibility and I didn't feel like I was just 'studying.'

In the first two years of Medicine I would say the workload is more (not necessarily harder) than at A Levels.

Thank you !
Reply 9
Original post by Angury

which kind of course were you on/ uni?
Reply 10
Original post by leahnj
which kind of course were you on/ uni?

Cardiff. They have since changed to Case-Based Learning so it is very different now, and what I've written is pretty much out of date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending