The Student Room Group

A Level Subjects - good for Law degree?

Hello all.

I am considering taking History, Economics and Politics for A Level. If I got 3 A grades, would this be good for a law degree? I could swap out Economics for English Lit, if that would help. I was also thinking of History, English Lit, Politics and Geography and dropping it after first year. Any ideas on the above line ups?
Essay subjects like History/EngLit are key, but a lot of universities are now starting to appreciate analytical subjects i.e. Maths and Chemistry too.
The subjects you've selected already are perfectly suitable. English lit is no better or worse than any of the others you've picked; if you have a greater interest in and motivation for English lit, then it would be worth taking, but if you are more interested in those other subjects you should just stick to them.
All of the subjects you mentioned are fine for law
Original post by Emma:-)
All of the subjects you mentioned are fine for law

Brilliant. If I decided not to go for English Literature and did History, Politics, Economics and dropped Geography after first year. Would that put me in good stead for a Law Degree if I got good grades?
Original post by Owenwilson700
Brilliant. If I decided not to go for English Literature and did History, Politics, Economics and dropped Geography after first year. Would that put me in good stead for a Law Degree if I got good grades?

Yes that would be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by charl.elise
Essay subjects like History/EngLit are key, but a lot of universities are now starting to appreciate analytical subjects i.e. Maths and Chemistry too.

It;'s perfectly possible to get into a top university for Law without either History or English.

Quick Reply