The Student Room Group

GYG: Trying Not To Fail Y11 (2018-2019)

After looking around TSR I decided to post the progress of my grades and revision to keep me more motivated as others say it seem to work. Hopefully it will 😢 since I'm currently failing 😭

My grades from the mock are: History: 5 Psychology: 6 Biology: 3 Chemistry: 3 Physics: 6 English (both): 5 Maths: 6 Sport: ??

.....so yeah...failing🤤🤤 If anyone comes across this, could you please give me recommended sites and study methods as well as how to space out my timetable. I'm hoping to push my grades to 8s and 9s which I'm partially confident. Just need to keep motivated and not procrastinate 😅😅.

Scroll to see replies

Hiya! Also going into Y11 and have just posted my own GYG if you want to check it out, I'd love to be tagged in updates about yours - sites and study methods wise... for science I love freesciencelessons on youtube as all of the 9-1 content is on there. I also like the app forest on my phone and self control on my laptop to try and stop me procrastinating (try being the operative word! 😂)
Reply 2
Original post by eleanoric
Hiya! Also going into Y11 and have just posted my own GYG if you want to check it out, I'd love to be tagged in updates about yours - sites and study methods wise... for science I love freesciencelessons on youtube as all of the 9-1 content is on there. I also like the app forest on my phone and self control on my laptop to try and stop me procrastinating (try being the operative word! 😂)

I love freesciencelessons! Makes everything easier compared to lessons at school. I've also tried to forest app though I did delete, i should probably get it back and stop procrastinating as well😅😅
I would love to keep up to date with your GTG since it may motivate me. We really need all the help we can get😂
I also use freesciencelessons * would fail without it * and quizlet to remember physics equations although not as often. With maths I use the 8-9 CGP targeted workbook which is so useful, as well as this I use the website maths genius for predicted/practice papers and maths made easy for topic based questions. Maths made easy also grades the topics so you know which ones your working at which is handy.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma0603ii
I also use freesciencelessons * would fail without it * and quizlet to remember physics equations although not as often. With maths I use the 8-9 CGP targeted workbook which is so useful, as well as this I use the website maths genius for predicted/practice papers and maths made easy for topic based questions. Maths made easy also grades the topics so you know which ones your working at which is handy.

Never heard of the those maths sites before 😮 thanks a lot!! 😀 I really want to improve my maths grades
Original post by Maz.
After looking around TSR I decided to post the progress of my grades and revision to keep me more motivated as others say it seem to work. Hopefully it will 😢 since I'm currently failing 😭

My grades from the mock are: History: 5 Psychology: 6 Biology: 3 Chemistry: 3 Physics: 6 English (both): 5 Maths: 6 Sport: ??

.....so yeah...failing🤤🤤 If anyone comes across this, could you please give me recommended sites and study methods as well as how to space out my timetable. I'm hoping to push my grades to 8s and 9s which I'm partially confident. Just need to keep motivated and not procrastinate 😅😅.

tag me please
Reply 6
Original post by Flower12321
tag me please

Sorry for the late reply, just reset my password after struggling with my email How can I tag people??
Reply 7
Just managed to reset my password and am feeling more motivated from watching a ton of GCSE result videos.

I've finally started revising, hoping to catch a glimpse at those grade 9s 🙃

I've started making revision material for my science subjects through flashcards though I'm going to only make notes and answer questions for physics. I make them maiming through watching freesciencelessons (awsome channel) and reviewing the spec my teacher gave me (love her!!).

I have also started looking around for new revision methods and hunted revision books from deep in my wardrobe and found some I haven't seen in years 😅
I've also started trying to tutor my friend in English and science which forces me to revise and finish my homework quicker as I have to guide her through it. Though it's not going too great so far it will probably improve... hopefully, since I heard teaching others is a great way to revise as it you will need to understand the material.

I'll probably update the thread within a week or in the holidays since I need to focus on finishing my coursework and writing up plans on how to revise.
Sorry for the rushed lines, I'm writing this just before I got to sleep 😅
Reply 8
Original post by Flower12321
tag me please

@Flower12321 Found how to do it 😁
Reply 9
Going to keep up with this :yes:
And as for 'tagging', most people use @ or quotes, which you can do by typing [noparse]
some username here
some random text here
[/noparse] I'll give an example because I don't think I'm clear :colondollar: [noparse]
nyxnko_
x
[/noparse] so if you type that, it should quote me :yes:
Reply 10
Original post by nyxnko_
Going to keep up with this :yes:
And as for 'tagging', most people use @ or quotes, which you can do by typing [noparse] I'll give an example because I don't think I'm clear :colondollar: [noparse] so if you type that, it should quote me :yes:

Welcome aboard!! Thanks for tip, new to the site if it didn't already show 😄
Original post by Maz.
Welcome aboard!! Thanks for tip, new to the site if it didn't already show 😄

No problem :thumbsup:
Reply 12
Update!!
Haven't done as much as I wanted to do this week in terms of coursework 😣
Nearly finished the topic organisation in biology which I will test myself on after on educake and exam questions which I will ask my teacher to set. I'm determined to get this done by next weak so I go through the questions and correct my knowledge over the holidays 🤓
I haven't managed to finished my business coursework yet but i only have 6 more paragraphs to go. I'm planning to do so before Wednesday so I can spend the lesson doing something else (like sleeping 😍)
I've finished unit 1 of my v-cert coursework which i will recieve feedback on soon. I have to finish unit 2 over christmas holiday which will be easy since its only about the systems and I can also go update unit 1.
If I can manage I'm going to go over history though I've already made a timeline on medicine, I'm hoping I can bluetack it on my walls but from the looks my mum gives me...it looks like I have to do a lot of begging 😅

That's all for now!! Thank you towards anyone who's actually reading my babbling, the comments I've recieved makes me more motivated as I'll feel guilty if I don't study to write something up🤗

Also, I've came to the realisation that the word seer, as in someone who can see the future, is basically see-er, as in 'seeing' the future.... mindblown

how is someone like me going to get 8s and 9s I wonder 🙃
Keep at it! Best of Luck. I'm scottish so have no idea how our systems work but I'm 3 years ahead I think.. who know's. But I've done Biology and Chemistry if you need a hand I'm sure it's totally different though :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Keep at it! Best of Luck. I'm scottish so have no idea how our systems work but I'm 3 years ahead I think.. who know's. But I've done Biology and Chemistry if you need a hand I'm sure it's totally different though :smile:

Thank you for your encouragement!! Do you have any advice on how to study chemistry? Would flashcards and practice questions be best or something else? Also, for biology, I'm learning all the content and then I want to answer questions, is that best? Do you have any other methods that you've found to work?
Reply 15
Sorry for the late update, I've studied some content which is satisfying when I compare what I knew before to what I know now. I've completed organisation, cell biology and am now on infection and response!
I'm feeling a bit disappointed that I've only managed to study biology as it makes me feel like I'm not going to manage to complete everything else :frown: But! I've got a timetable for history coming up (thank you, teacher!) and I'm going to make online flashcards for psychology. For English Language, I'm attending P6 to study poetry which is actually pretty easy to memorise as I only have to know 3 quotes, structure, theme and comparisons; I'm scared of English Literature though :s-smilie:, so many themes and the last questions for language, terrible at them. I've opened another thread which has my descriptive piece on so I invite anyone to look at it and criticise it, I really want to improve!!
Maths is also making me nervous as I want to take it for an A-level but am currently out of tune with it (sometimes holidays are terrible), I've got plans for practise questions and so on.

Thank you for listening to my rant :biggrin:, I really need to get my thoughts out straight and this helps. I've got my final mocks in March and I really want to get 7's by then so I know my revision has benefitted me.
Original post by Maz.

Glad this is helping you put your thoughts into words :smile: and I hope you manage to do the maths work you’d like to!

How've you managed to set out your revision timetable (if you’ve made one yet)? Would love to see it!

If you haven’t got one yet, I’d be more than happy to help you!

Best of luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by brainzistheword
Glad this is helping you put your thoughts into words :smile: and I hope you manage to do the maths work you’d like to!

How've you managed to set out your revision timetable (if you’ve made one yet)? Would love to see it!

Best of luck!

Sorry for the late reply. I don't really have a timetable, I just set myself 2 or 3 subjects I'm going to do a day. For example, every day I do 6 videos from FreeScienceLessons which helped me complete Biology paper 1 in around 2 weeks or less, and then I pick any other one/two subjects such as history or some maths questions. In total, I do around 2-3 hours per day and an hour or 2 extra during weekends though some days I take a break. Is this bad?? I've tried making a timetable before but couldn't stick to it and I find this easier to follow :biggrin:
Original post by Maz.
Thank you for your encouragement!! Do you have any advice on how to study chemistry? Would flashcards and practice questions be best or something else? Also, for biology, I'm learning all the content and then I want to answer questions, is that best? Do you have any other methods that you've found to work?

Honestly for Biology and Chemistry, just keep repeating past papers once you've learned the content!
Reply 19
Original post by brainzistheword

Best of luck!

Really sorry for late reply!! I do have a timetable but I don't really follow it, its buried somewhere but I'll dig it tomorrow or so, gotta have some productive revision someday :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending