The Student Room Group

Money is the key to happiness

I have a speech to write but I need opinions do you believe money can buy happiness or not, why and why not. Personally I believe it brings temporary happiness

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Msbrownie.xo
I have a speech to write but I need opinions do you believe money can buy happiness or not, why and why not. Personally I believe it brings temporary happiness

Nah but i believe the world is greedy for a little piece of rectangle plastic / paper and some circle metals.

Its not certain that money can buy happiness but it is certain that tax is inevitable. That and death.
Original post by DarkChaoz95
Nah but i believe the world is greedy for a little piece of rectangle plastic / paper and some circle metals.

Its not certain that money can buy happiness but it is certain that tax is inevitable. That and death.

Thanks so much, that's so helpful x

No, happiness comes from within- true happiness is a state which you will not lose regardless of whether you are rich or poor. Otherwise it’s just a type of intoxicating and artificial happiness, which is lost as soon as you lose that money, just like the high of a drug user ends when he stops using it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
I’m a very introverted person and socially anxious. I feel being wealthy would make me happy as I don’t care about having many friends, just one that I’ve known for years.
yes. I believe money can buy happiness
I agree that money brings temporary happiness. Imagine you win a ridiculous amount of money on the lottery, like £10bn. You can buy everything you ever wanted - fancy cars, big houses etc and you wouldn’t have to work anymore. At first you’d be over the moon but then what? You’ve achieved everything you ever wanted, so what else is there to aim for? And then when the novelty of all that money has worn off, you’d realise that you’ve got nothing else to aim for and I imagine that’d leave you feeling kind of empty.

Also if you’ve given up work, that’d have an impact on your social life and you’d probably end up feeling isolated and lonely. Take Freddie Mercury as an example - he was one of the richest, most famous men of his time but he became so lonely. All the money in the world couldn’t bring him happiness. I think the only things that can truly bring us happiness in the long term are love and human connection.
Original post by JMR2019.
No, happiness comes from within- true happiness is a state which you will not lose regardless of whether you are rich or poor. Otherwise it’s just a type of intoxicating and artificial happiness, which is lost as soon as you lose that money, just like the high of a drug user ends when he stops using it.

Thank u
false

Original post by Anonymous
I agree that money brings temporary happiness. Imagine you win a ridiculous amount of money on the lottery, like £10bn. You can buy everything you ever wanted - fancy cars, big houses etc and you wouldn’t have to work anymore. At first you’d be over the moon but then what? You’ve achieved everything you ever wanted, so what else is there to aim for? And then when the novelty of all that money has worn off, you’d realise that you’ve got nothing else to aim for and I imagine that’d leave you feeling kind of empty.

Also if you’ve given up work, that’d have an impact on your social life and you’d probably end up feeling isolated and lonely. Take Freddie Mercury as an example - he was one of the richest, most famous men of his time but he became so lonely. All the money in the world couldn’t bring him happiness. I think the only things that can truly bring us happiness in the long term are love and human connection.

Thank you so much xx
I have a well paying job at the moment that I am hoping to leave because it makes me unhappy, and I want to go to Uni to follow my passion.
Most psychology studies show that happiness doesn't change with the more money you have when you live outside of poverty
"Money can't buy happiness, but it can make you awfully comfortable while you're being miserable."
Original post by tesconyc
yes. I believe money can buy happiness

Could u say why please x
Original post by OmnomnOmnigul
I have a well paying job at the moment that I am hoping to leave because it makes me unhappy, and I want to go to Uni to follow my passion.

So in your case money doesn't bring happiness? Couldn't u continue with ur job then do university courses on weekends, I don't know how uni works tho lmao cause I'm in year ten ATM
Original post by Rainfall
"Money can't buy happiness, but it can make you awfully comfortable while you're being miserable."

Thanks xx do u know who said that quote?
Original post by Noodlzzz
Most psychology studies show that happiness doesn't change with the more money you have when you live outside of poverty

Most show happiness goes up to around something like £40,000

Which is well above what the majority of poeple make...
So in your case money doesn't bring happiness? Couldn't u continue with ur job then do university courses on weekends, I don't know how uni works tho lmao cause I'm in year ten ATM

I could, that's always an option. One of my best friends works full time and studies part time with the OU. Her undergraduate degree is taking her 6 years to complete and she admits that working full time is having an impact on her overall grade. I decided I didn't want to do it that way, and that if I was going to go to Uni I wanted to be able to commit to it 100%.
Original post by OmnomnOmnigul
I could, that's always an option. One of my best friends works full time and studies part time with the OU. Her undergraduate degree is taking her 6 years to complete and she admits that working full time is having an impact on her overall grade. I decided I didn't want to do it that way, and that if I was going to go to Uni I wanted to be able to commit to it 100%.

Good luck with ur decision - definitely follow ur passion x
Good luck with ur decision - definitely follow ur passion x

Thanks! If I get the offer I need, fully intend to :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending