The Student Room Group

study time

What is the best way for me to revise and do homework if I have a busy scheduled?
Reply 1
Firstly find some time, (preferably a good few hours) in which you will free from distractions. Secondly, find the best place for you to revise. This may be your bedroom, Dining room, or may even be your College's library (Or High school/Uni). Personally, I find studying at the library is more productive as its quiet, and everyone else around you is working so its kind of motivating, at least for me. Thirdly, you'll want to have a plan of what you are going to be revising, and you need to be specific as possible. For instance, what theme/topic will you aim to cover? This is where a revision timetable may come in handy, however for me personally I just make a mental note in my head.

These 3 steps should be a good start for you to start revising, however if you give me some more details like what you're studying for (GCSE's, A Levels, Uni) then I may be able to help you more. If you're "busy schedule" is because you are working part time, I would strongly advise you ask to cut back on hours, and reinvest those hours into studying. And even if it isn't work, try and make your routine less busy, trust me it'll make all the difference in revision.
Reply 2
I am studying for my GCSEs and the subjest i have taken are all the cour ones and Physical education, History, Religious education and Geogrphy. And my Busy shedual is beause I have to play netball for the school on thursdays, on wednesdays I teach netball, and on monday and thursday from 6:30 pm to 10:00 pm I am at cadets

Original post by Fekky.
Firstly find some time, (preferably a good few hours) in which you will free from distractions. Secondly, find the best place for you to revise. This may be your bedroom, Dining room, or may even be your College's library (Or High school/Uni). Personally, I find studying at the library is more productive as its quiet, and everyone else around you is working so its kind of motivating, at least for me. Thirdly, you'll want to have a plan of what you are going to be revising, and you need to be specific as possible. For instance, what theme/topic will you aim to cover? This is where a revision timetable may come in handy, however for me personally I just make a mental note in my head.

These 3 steps should be a good start for you to start revising, however if you give me some more details like what you're studying for (GCSE's, A Levels, Uni) then I may be able to help you more. If you're "busy schedule" is because you are working part time, I would strongly advise you ask to cut back on hours, and reinvest those hours into studying. And even if it isn't work, try and make your routine less busy, trust me it'll make all the difference in revision.
Reply 3
Original post by sophielph04
I am studying for my GCSEs and the subjest i have taken are all the cour ones and Physical education, History, Religious education and Geogrphy. And my Busy shedual is beause I have to play netball for the school on thursdays, on wednesdays I teach netball, and on monday and thursday from 6:30 pm to 10:00 pm I am at cadets

From my experience, GCSE's do not require a huge amount of revision. (I did mine around 2 years ago). You will have enough in lesson revision time, however when your around 2 months away from your GCSE's i would recommend taking a break from netball, ideally in teaching but if you can do both that would be great. Buy some revision guides and just read and work using those. My personal advice is that GCSE's dont really matter, take a look at your college requirements, then have a look at University GCSE requirements (if thats what you want to do). For the average person, meeting your requirements should be more than enough.
Reply 4
Original post by Fekky.
From my experience, GCSE's do not require a huge amount of revision. (I did mine around 2 years ago). You will have enough in lesson revision time, however when your around 2 months away from your GCSE's i would recommend taking a break from netball, ideally in teaching but if you can do both that would be great. Buy some revision guides and just read and work using those. My personal advice is that GCSE's dont really matter, take a look at your college requirements, then have a look at University GCSE requirements (if thats what you want to do). For the average person, meeting your requirements should be more than enough.

The thing is I find it hard to take note in a short amount of time, and it doesn't help the fact that I am dyslexic. I know what I want to do after my GCSEs, and that is either join the RAF or the Army. Yet I still need to teach netball because I am the only teacher for these students and I help them escape from their home life and i dont want to let then down.
Reply 5
The thing is I find it hard to take note in a short amount of time, and it doesn't help the fact that I am dyslexic. I know what I want to do after my GCSEs, and that is either join the RAF or the Army. Yet I still need to teach netball because I am the only teacher for these students and I help them escape from their home life and i dont want to let then down.

Have a look at the RAF/Army websites, what GCSE requirements do they require? Could you go and do an apprenticeship with them after your GCSEs? If so, what do they want in terms of grades? As I said earlier, don't worry too much about revision for GCSE's, just be honest with yourself about what you really need to revise on and start with that. It's really nice you volunteer to teach netball, something you should be able to put into your CV/interviews etc. and talk about what skills it taught you. But yeah, have a look around Army/RAF websites for apprenticeships, I know the Army certainly do them however im unsure if they allow people straight from secondary school.
Reply 6
I have already dont resurch into the RAF and to get in to it you need english and maths grade 5, as i am a cadet i am going to stat on with cadets untill I'm 18/19 and then join a force. In the RAF there are also apprenticeship that i have been looking at.
Along with the resurch i have done i am having a careers meeting next week.
Reply 7
I have already dont resurch into the RAF and to get in to it you need english and maths grade 5, as i am a cadet i am going to stat on with cadets untill I'm 18/19 and then join a force. In the RAF there are also apprenticeship that i have been looking at.
Along with the resurch i have done i am having a careers meeting next week.

Maths/English Grade 5 should be achievable, yes you may have to revise a bit but not anything super, super hard. Go to your careers meeting and go into detail about what you want to be when you're older and ask any questions you have. Your careers adviser will be more knowledgeable than me. Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Fekky.
Maths/English Grade 5 should be achievable, yes you may have to revise a bit but not anything super, super hard. Go to your careers meeting and go into detail about what you want to be when you're older and ask any questions you have. Your careers adviser will be more knowledgeable than me. Good luck!

Thank you for your help, it has definitely helped and is also much appreciated
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest