The Student Room Group

4400+ calories a day and I'm not gaining weight

I'm 6'2 (188 cm) and 17 (male). I weigh 68kg. According to my GP, that's underweight.

I'm not overestimating how much I'm eating and my metabolism is normal (I had a blood test two weeks ago to confirm this).

Does anyone have any idea why I'm not gaining any weight?

Scroll to see replies

you're either active and burning this or you are not eating 4.4k calories a day , if you've just started then give it a couple of weeks and you'll see the pounds come in
How long have you been eating 4.4k for?
Reply 3
Original post by TheNamesBond.
How long have you been eating 4.4k for?

At least 2 months, not sure exactly how long though
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 6'2 (188 cm) and 17 (male). I weigh 68kg. According to my GP, that's underweight.

I'm not overestimating how much I'm eating and my metabolism is normal (I had a blood test two weeks ago to confirm this).

Have you recorded how active you are? You may be burning more calories than you think.
At least 2 months, not sure exactly how long though

You should’ve definitely put on weight then, since you’re not I can only assume that you’re burning a lot if not mostly all the 4.4k in a day, how active are you?

Either that or you’re not eating 4.4k, can you post what you’re eating and the amounts?
Reply 6
Original post by lolololol1235e1
you're either active and burning this or you are not eating 4.4k calories a day

I'm not really that active - I exercise about 20 minutes a day which really isn't that much
Reply 7
It is not only the amount of calories which important, more important is the source of the calories. 4k calories from junk food is not the same as 4k calories from greens
Reply 8
Original post by TheNamesBond.

Either that or you’re not eating 4.4k, can you post what you’re eating and the amounts?

Today I had

For breakfast
2 bowls of cereal with oats (450 cal)
Toasted wholemeal bread + butter (800 cal)
Apple & banana (1000 cal)

In between breakfast & lunch:
3x cheesestrings (1200 cal)
Some kind of crisps or Cheddars (1350 cal)

Lunch:
4 wholemeal rolls + cheese (1900 cal)
2x crisps (2200 cal)
Protein bar (2500 cal)

In between lunch & dinner:
2x doughnuts (3000 cal)

Dinner:
Rice + 2x fish fillets + chips (3900 cal)
Protein bar (4200 cal)
Chocolate bar (4300 cal)

Then usually some kind of fruit before bed (which takes it to about 4400)
Reply 9

4400?

what a strange number

You sure you ain't got superpowers or something? and thats why you're not gaining

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/4400/images/0/01/Season_two.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120613185525
Reply 10
Today I had

For breakfast

Lunch:
2x crisps (2200 cal)
Protein bar (2500 cal)

2x doughnuts (3000 cal)

Dinner:
Protein bar (4200 cal)
Chocolate bar (4300 cal)

You don't know how to count calories. Apple and banana = 1000 cal???? A piece of toast 800???? Nope. Why would you want to be a fat **** anyway. Slim is beautiful.
Original post by Ciel.
You don't know how to count calories. Apple and banana = 1000 cal???? A piece of toast 800????

It's a running total...
Reply 12
It's a running total...

Ah. Doesn't matter. Nothing wrong with being underweight, tell your GP to go to hell. Fat = disgusting.
Today I had

For breakfast

Lunch:
2x crisps (2200 cal)
Protein bar (2500 cal)

2x doughnuts (3000 cal)

Dinner:
Protein bar (4200 cal)
Chocolate bar (4300 cal)

So by calculating the calories using your values, you consumed 29800 calories today. You went wrong somewhere, cause that's not possible or normal to have. You probably put more zero's at the end accidentally.

I suggest you use 'MyFitnessPal' from google. Or any other calorie counting website. Then use that to see how much calories you have.
Even if you went wrong with what you said above, you should still gain weight if you have 4000 calories a day. So you must have less than that.

Do you also work out a lot? Or do any activities during the week? As that can burn off a lot of calories. And there is also something called BMR which varies for different people. Calculate your BMR too.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ciel.
Ah. Doesn't matter. Nothing wrong with being underweight, tell your GP to go to hell. Fat = disgusting.

weakened immune system, nutrition deficiency, anorexia, theres alot of things wrong with being underweight, i dont think OP is aspiring to be fat, but have a healthy weight
Original post by kurro
So by calculating the calories using your values, you consumed 29800 calories today.

I already said this, but I did a running total rather than putting how much each meal is worth individually
Original post by Gent2324
dont think OP is aspiring to be fat, but have a healthy weight

:smile:
I already said this, but I did a running total rather than putting how much each meal is worth individually

What did you use to calculate the calories?

And as I asked before, 'Do you also work out a lot? Or do any activities during the week? As that can burn off a lot of calories. And there is also something called BMR which varies for different people. Calculate your BMR too. '
Reply 18
Original post by Gent2324
weakened immune system, nutrition deficiency, anorexia, theres alot of things wrong with being underweight, i dont think OP is aspiring to be fat, but have a healthy weight

I've been underweight for years, and I'm perfectly healthy.
Original post by Ciel.

Underweight also disgusting

Quick Reply

Latest