The Student Room Group

Chemistry as level

I have only recently started chemistry in year 12 but am not doing well and I revise do past papers and practice questions, I need help with what am I doing wrong is there a specific way to revise and do well with chemistry or does anyone have any sites I could practice or YouTube channel for ocr chem
Please guys I really need help it’s becoming frustrating
Reply 1
How often do you self-mark and review your work?
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
How often do you self-mark and review your work?
all the time, each time I do a past paper or questions
Reply 3
Original post by kasacolx
all the time, each time I do a past paper or questions

So when you do badly are you making the same mistakes every time?
chemrevise.org has the best revision summary sheets. learn the content and just keep practising questions.
Reply 5
Original post by Sinnoh
So when you do badly are you making the same mistakes every time?

No it’s not that’s why I don’t know what’s going on
Reply 6
No it’s not that’s why I don’t know what’s going on

You don't know what you're getting wrong?
Reply 7
Original post by Sinnoh
You don't know what you're getting wrong?

No I do but I don’t know why I keep getting questions wrong when I revise and do a whole load of past papers
chemrevise
chemguide
E Rintoul (Youtube)
CGP textbook
Reply 9
No I do but I don’t know why I keep getting questions wrong when I revise and do a whole load of past papers

So you need to learn from yourself before you start trying out loads of websites. It could be a basic lack of knowledge, poor exam technique or a lack of understanding of the topics that's causing you to get questions wrong. If you don't know how and why you're getting questions wrong then you need to be more in-depth when you review your own work.
Reply 10
Original post by Sinnoh
So you need to learn from yourself before you start trying out loads of websites. It could be a basic lack of knowledge, poor exam technique or a lack of understanding of the topics that's causing you to get questions wrong. If you don't know how and why you're getting questions wrong then you need to be more in-depth when you review your own work.

So What advice do you have for me for the next stop I should do
Reply 11
So What advice do you have for me for the next stop I should do

When you mark your work, you should really analyse and look into why you're getting questions wrong, rather than just marking it and leaving it at that.
I have only recently started chemistry in year 12 but am not doing well and I revise do past papers and practice questions, I need help with what am I doing wrong is there a specific way to revise and do well with chemistry or does anyone have any sites I could practice or YouTube channel for ocr chem
Please guys I really need help it’s becoming frustrating

Hi

i did Chemistry a level OCR A spec. My best advice is just to practice questions over and over again and if you don’t understand the knowledge then watch videos. I used to watch mychemguy since it was recommended by my teacher and he taught the ocr spec which was useful. Another tip with organic synthesis routes drawing flowcharts help a lot. And also during tests making sure you’re learning the definitions and ensuring when you’re drawing molecules that all the bonds are correct as sometimes when you rush you’re likely to miss out a bond which can lose a mark. I used to use a whiteboard and write out all the knowledge over and over until it was in my head and it helped me especially with drawing molecules.

if you need anymore help feel free to ask
Reply 13
Original post by SB44336
Hi

i did Chemistry a level OCR A spec. My best advice is just to practice questions over and over again and if you don’t understand the knowledge then watch videos. I used to watch mychemguy since it was recommended by my teacher and he taught the ocr spec which was useful. Another tip with organic synthesis routes drawing flowcharts help a lot. And also during tests making sure you’re learning the definitions and ensuring when you’re drawing molecules that all the bonds are correct as sometimes when you rush you’re likely to miss out a bond which can lose a mark. I used to use a whiteboard and write out all the knowledge over and over until it was in my head and it helped me especially with drawing molecules.

if you need anymore help feel free to ask

Thank you so much, at the moment I do alottt of past papers and revise the content. The problem is applying, how do I over come this problem and do you know any websites with more practice questions I already used physics and maths tutor. Also since your doing the same board as me do you have any other good tips that will actually make a difference so I can get top grades.
Thank you so much, at the moment I do alottt of past papers and revise the content. The problem is applying, how do I over come this problem and do you know any websites with more practice questions I already used physics and maths tutor. Also since your doing the same board as me do you have any other good tips that will actually make a difference so I can get top grades.

So for questions that involve maths, if in doubt find the moles of anything involved in the question by using any of the equations ie mass/mr or CxV/1000 or Vx24. Once you’ve found the moles the application may become easier and if you do get the answer wrong then finding the moles often gives you one method mark. I would say use the official ocr textbook your college night give you an online version, they provided the best questions as the exam board wrote the textbook plus the textbook is full of hints to help any application.
Reply 15
What do you class as ‘not doing well’ and did you start in September?
Have you spoke to your teacher and asked for advice?

I agree that generally doing past papers, marking them and analysing where you went wrong is the best way to go. Have you got a text book with questions and answers in it.

Have you tried reading up on a unit/chapter module. And then attempting the questions in the book. This is just a stepping stone up to the past papers.

Chemistry Alevel is hard. I am in Y13 doing AQA chemistry.
Reply 16
Original post by 12doeb
What do you class as ‘not doing well’ and did you start in September?
Have you spoke to your teacher and asked for advice?

I agree that generally doing past papers, marking them and analysing where you went wrong is the best way to go. Have you got a text book with questions and answers in it.

Have you tried reading up on a unit/chapter module. And then attempting the questions in the book. This is just a stepping stone up to the past papers.

Chemistry Alevel is hard. I am in Y13 doing AQA chemistry.

Original post by SB44336
So for questions that involve maths, if in doubt find the moles of anything involved in the question by using any of the equations ie mass/mr or CxV/1000 or Vx24. Once you’ve found the moles the application may become easier and if you do get the answer wrong then finding the moles often gives you one method mark. I would say use the official ocr textbook your college night give you an online version, they provided the best questions as the exam board wrote the textbook plus the textbook is full of hints to help any application.

I have the ocr as/a level revision guide..and the actual book but the issue is what the best way to revise for chemistry and how do I make sure I can get top marks
I have the ocr as/a level revision guide..and the actual book but the issue is what the best way to revise for chemistry and how do I make sure I can get top marks

Don't worry I was the same starting in year 12 and I've improved so much - i recommend gathering all the resources you have on each topic and write concise detailed notes of each topic including example questions such as ones you've done before and didn't understand or ones that have frequently come up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest