The Student Room Group

Is 5 A-Levels too much?

Hi there,
I’m currently in Year 11, and will be doing my GCSEs in a few months. Just like many others, I don’t know what to become when I’m older, and therefore want to keep my options as open as possible - hence the ‘5 A-Level’ on the title. The 5 A-Levels I have chose are:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Now, I know many people say it’s ‘too hard’ or ‘not worth it’ but I honestly think I can do it. I am already achieving grade 9s in these subjects (from year 10). I will also be doing a Further Mathematics GCSE, in which I’m predicted an A^. The only thing that’s concerning me is time. I know that this may be an issue but can someone give me an idea of how long it would take to do 1 A-level topic revision (I know it’ll vary but a rough answer will be appreciated)?
Are there any tips you can give on doing 5 A-Levels?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MoUddin
Hi there,
I’m currently in Year 11, and will be doing my GCSEs in a few months. Just like many others, I don’t know what to become when I’m older, and therefore want to keep my options as open as possible - hence the ‘5 A-Level’ on the title. The 5 A-Levels I have chose are:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Now, I know many people say it’s ‘too hard’ or ‘not worth it’ but I honestly think I can do it. I am already achieving grade 9s in these subjects (from year 10). I will also be doing a Further Mathematics GCSE, in which I’m predicted an A^. The only thing that’s concerning me is time. I know that this may be an issue but can someone give me an idea of how long it would take to do 1 A-level topic revision (I know it’ll vary but a rough answer will be appreciated)?

Hiya, I’m in Year 13 and I can honestly tell you that nobody can manage 5 alevels. Even with your amazing grades!!!! And because the topics you have chosen are probably the 5 most difficult alevels there are. I do 3 and that’s a struggle. I would genuinely just choose 3, 4 at a push. Universities only want 3 alevels anyway; if you want a top uni like oxbridge they won’t expect you do to 5.
Hmm, if you really think you can do them - why not start with 5, and make sure you keep a really close eye on your workload, and ask your teachers to keep an eye on the quality of your work too. If you think it's slipping, you can always drop one partway through the year.
Reply 3
Original post by lucycharnock123
Hiya, I’m in Year 13 and I can honestly tell you that nobody can manage 5 alevels. Even with your amazing grades!!!! And because the topics you have chosen are probably the 5 most difficult alevels there are. I do 3 and that’s a struggle. I would genuinely just choose 3, 4 at a push. Universities only want 3 alevels anyway; if you want a top uni like oxbridge they won’t expect you do to 5.

Hey lucycharnock123,
Haha thanks!
I know the sciences are the hardest, but the thing is I’ve started with the Physics and Mathematics A-Level syllabus, and I honestly don’t find it as hard as other people find it. I hear that it’s a big jump etc., but that ‘jump’ hasn’t come yet for me, and I’m around 1/3 the way through the Physics and Maths AS content. I know that Universities want 3, but, I would know which 2 to drop. I haven’t made a full decision yet, and I’m considering either Aerospace engineering or something medical-based (Cliché, Ik)
Reply 4
Original post by Kater Murr
Hmm, if you really think you can do them - why not start with 5, and make sure you keep a really close eye on your workload, and ask your teachers to keep an eye on the quality of your work too. If you think it's slipping, you can always drop one partway through the year.

I guess I can do that, thanks for the suggestion :-)
Original post by MoUddin
Hey lucycharnock123,
Haha thanks!
I know the sciences are the hardest, but the thing is I’ve started with the Physics and Mathematics A-Level syllabus, and I honestly don’t find it as hard as other people find it. I hear that it’s a big jump etc., but that ‘jump’ hasn’t come yet for me, and I’m around 1/3 the way through the Physics and Maths AS content. I know that Universities want 3, but, I would know which 2 to drop. I haven’t made a full decision yet, and I’m considering either Aerospace engineering or something medical-based (Cliché, Ik)

the ‘jump’ people go on about isn’t usually the difficulty of it but how much you actually have to remember & the amount of revision/ self study you need to do. You seem smart so if you really want to do it go for it 😂 you could always drop one during your first year
Reply 6
I mean it will make u stand out but its going to be difficult.
Reply 7
Mate don't take this the wrong way:
I did Bio, Chem, Maths, Further Maths for the first term of year 12. Further maths is a monster that is very hard to tame and is not that similar to normal maths. I would say if you want a decent life stick to 3 and do an EPQ later on.
Original post by MoUddin
Hi there,
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Mathematics
Further Mathematics

Current Year 13 student and I highly recommend 3 A levels. You can get it into the top Universities with 3 anyway and you'll be able to do better in each subject with less subjects to revise.
I am a straight A, Year 13 student and I can barely manage 3. Do 4 at the most— they are much harder than GCSES. Unis care more for the quality and appropriate nature of A Levels rather than the quantity. You’d rather have 3 A*s than 4 or 5 As
Reply 10
the ‘jump’ people go on about isn’t usually the difficulty of it but how much you actually have to remember & the amount of revision/ self study you need to do. You seem smart so if you really want to do it go for it 😂 you could always drop one during your first year

Thanks! I know I can, but the main purpose of me doing 5 A-Levels is because I don’t know what to become. Furthermore, I do really love all those subjects, so I would have that natural urge to go and learn more about these subjects.
Reply 11
Original post by sanaa17
I mean it will make u stand out but its going to be difficult.

I know it’ll be difficult, but I’m willing to put the work in from day one.
First off I know the exact feeling, I went in thinking four would be a breeze, I’m now in second year and wishing I had been able to make up my mind sooner so I would only have to do three… my advice would be as you’re this committed try for a year, but at the end be prepared to drop one. You’ve got the best set you can as maths, further and physics are all similar, but even so… four IS doable for two years, five only really for one… the best grades in the world at gcse don’t really mean much at a level
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by MoUddin
Thanks! I know I can, but the main purpose of me doing 5 A-Levels is because I don’t know what to become. Furthermore, I do really love all those subjects, so I would have that natural urge to go and learn more about these subjects.

Crazy mate
Original post by MoUddin

Dont do both further maths and maths - theres no point really because it wont expand your options since further maths is the same thing as maths just extended. Plus it would make your workload even harder to manage
Reply 15
Original post by Hass3n7
Mate don't take this the wrong way:
I did Bio, Chem, Maths, Further Maths for the first term of year 12. Further maths is a monster that is very hard to tame and is not that similar to normal maths. I would say if you want a decent life stick to 3 and do an EPQ later on.

Hmm, that’s the first time I’ve heard that! Thanks for your comment. What is an EPQ? I know it’s an Extended Project Qualification but what do you do? Thanks
Reply 16
Original post by TheRadishPrince
Current Year 13 student and I highly recommend 3 A levels. You can get it into the top Universities with 3 anyway and you'll be able to do better in each subject with less subjects to revise.

Yeah, but I would easily take 3/4 if I knew what I wanted to do. As soon as I pass that hurdle, I’ll definitely drop one. How much free time would I get if I do 5?
Reply 17
Just do it. I did so anyone can
Reply 18
Original post by pleasehelpA2
First off I know the exact feeling, I went in thinking four would be a breeze, I’m now in second year and wishing I had been able to make up my mind sooner so I would only have to do three… my advice would be as you’re this committed try for a year, but at the end be prepared to drop one. You’ve got the best set you can as maths, further and physics are all similar, but even so… four IS doable for two years, five only really for one… the best grades in the world don’t really mean much at a level

Thanks for your comment, I do know that there’s a lot of content, but would you think 3-4 hours of studying a day is adequate for 5 A-Levels?
Reply 19
Crazy mate

I know 😂 I’m a lunatic aha
Original post by Ano123
Just do it. I did so anyone can

Oh cool! What grades did you obtain, if you don’t mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest