The Student Room Group

Would failing one GCSE prevents me from going to top unis?

I feel really stupid and I just realised it now. I took GCSE music because on option eve my music teacher told me that I was second on his list to be accepted into the course, of course I'm gassed and pretty sure many of the bad students wouldn't be there (I'm safe from bullies lol) and I'm actually quite well at playing piano. In year 10 basically we got some new teacher who assumes that we all know what articulation or dynamics means so he just told us to compose.

But nope I'm not from a musical background nor do I know how to compose properly so for the whole months I was on edge and barely managed to do anything.. at least I managed a nearly finished my free composition when well, then there's theory. I'm f*cked. Listening and appraising exam turned out real **** for the EoY. Wish I could ask my former teacher.. but he left (thanks Mr. V!)

I'm straight A students for traditional subjects (except language which I need work on) and I'm thinking of maybe failing this one because it divides my attention from other subjects and I'm going to fail others as well.

However, I aspire to apply to Oxford/LSE/UCL for law and they are super prestige uni, plus my wanted course is competitive. I'm scared shitless that I won't get a place on any of them if I failed one of my GCSEs even though the subject is not going to be relevant to the course..

So will I survive the uni admissions if I failed a GCSE?
You can work to get GCSE Music up. I do OCR. What board do you do? I can help you/give you advice in PMs. Composing will come to you after some time, you just need to get some inspiration and have a bass chord structure to work from. Don't assume worst case scenarios because you have time to fix it x
Reply 2
I hope I don’t fail my GCSE’s
Reply 3
Original post by boiimbadatmaths
I feel really stupid and I just realised it now. I took GCSE music because on option eve my music teacher told me that I was second on his list to be accepted into the course, of course I'm gassed and pretty sure many of the bad students wouldn't be there (I'm safe from bullies lol) and I'm actually quite well at playing piano. In year 10 basically we got some new teacher who assumes that we all know what articulation or dynamics means so he just told us to compose.

But nope I'm not from a musical background nor do I know how to compose properly so for the whole months I was on edge and barely managed to do anything.. at least I managed a nearly finished my free composition when well, then there's theory. I'm f*cked. Listening and appraising exam turned out real **** for the EoY. Wish I could ask my former teacher.. but he left (thanks Mr. V!)

I'm straight A students for traditional subjects (except language which I need work on) and I'm thinking of maybe failing this one because it divides my attention from other subjects and I'm going to fail others as well.

However, I aspire to apply to Oxford/LSE/UCL for law and they are super prestige uni, plus my wanted course is competitive. I'm scared shitless that I won't get a place on any of them if I failed one of my GCSEs even though the subject is not going to be relevant to the course..

Not at all, music has nothing to do with Law, and its only one GCSE. You should be more concerned about getting the right A-level results, which will be very high - Then you also need to get through the interview stages ect.

What grade is your practical?
Original post by RazzzBerries
You can work to get GCSE Music up. I do OCR. What board do you do? I can help you/give you advice in PMs. Composing will come to you after some time, you just need to get some inspiration and have a bass chord structure to work from. Don't assume worst case scenarios because you have time to fix it x

Same I'm on OCR as well. People are saying edexcel is harder but if this one's easy idk what will happen if I do edexcel haha :').

I usually make flashcards to make me remember facts, terms and essay structure (for english) I thought it would work for music and tbh I kinda remember more about how to read certain stuffs like ornaments or articulation for example.

But it will be useless because I'm *listening*, not reading a music piece. Let's say I'm given a baroque written piece- I might still be able to understand what key it is playing on, what each ornaments/accents/notes, how many beats on the bar.. yeah you got the gist.

But listening to something and asked to describe it? Yeah no thanks Idk what it actually wants me to write- heck I can't even tell if a note goes up by one or two on aural dictation.

And then there's tone. Whether written or audio I just can't do it. The best I could is read what key it is written in and says major=cherrful and minor=sorrowful.
Sorry for rant-like comment but this might give you more insight to my situation.
Original post by Muttley79
What grade is your practical?

Currently around 20 below-ish for free composition (haven't finished the exam given one) and for performing I'm quite safe at 26.. I might tweak it a little bit before giving the comp to the real examiner later. For listening and appraising it would be less.. pleasant.
Currently around 20 below-ish for free composition (haven't finished the exam given one) and for performing I'm quite safe at 26.. I might tweak it a little bit before giving the comp to the real examiner later. For listening and appraising it would be less.. pleasant.

The written exam is not a big part of your final mark. If your playing is ABRSM/TCL grade 4 you should get full marks for this part.

You can get a good grade with the coursework - don't give up.

Tricky one that. You have a good chance if you are getting high grades in core subjects & you do well in your alevels. Some uni’s might see it as you couldn’t be bothered so might reject you?
Same I'm on OCR as well. People are saying edexcel is harder but if this one's easy idk what will happen if I do edexcel haha :':wink:.

I usually make flashcards to make me remember facts, terms and essay structure (for english) I thought it would work for music and tbh I kinda remember more about how to read certain stuffs like ornaments or articulation for example.

But it will be useless because I'm *listening*, not reading a music piece. Let's say I'm given a baroque written piece- I might still be able to understand what key it is playing on, what each ornaments/accents/notes, how many beats on the bar.. yeah you got the gist.

But listening to something and asked to describe it? Yeah no thanks Idk what it actually wants me to write- heck I can't even tell if a note goes up by one or two on aural dictation.

And then there's tone. Whether written or audio I just can't do it. The best I could is read what key it is written in and says major=cherrful and minor=sorrowful.
Sorry for rant-like comment but this might give you more insight to my situation.

Yh same, I feel like OCR's the hardest. The good news is that I can help you!

You might need to keep doing practice papers. It's the same for me: I find listening and appraising hard. Have a look at the mark schemes and find out what specific points they want and write them down somewhere.

PM me later, we can talk x
I went to a top uni and got a D in history and photography lol. Unis don't care as long as you get good grades in English and Maths and sciences (if you want to do a science at uni).

It won't make any difference whatsoever unless it's English or Maths

Quick Reply

Latest