The Student Room Group

Been crying all day

I got the worst ever mock results when I used to be a straight 9 student
Business: 3 (frustrated as heck how did this happen)
German: 5 (I even know all the vocab)
Geography: 4 (I've got 8's and 9's consistently)
Triple science: 6 (I'm crying :frown:((()
English literature: 3 (I REVISED SO FREAKING MUCH)
English language: 2 (I read a lot, idk why this happened)
Maths: 5 (idontevenknow)
My parents are scared for my GCSEs I'm really stressed and tired, because I got the most horrendous mock grades :frown: and I still want to get all 9's in my gcse what do I do?
You have time. Get your head down and WORK. Find good revision techniques that work for you. Cut back on social media use. Allow time for breaks, but don't over indulge in free time now.

You've got this. Don't cry, chin up. :hugs:
Reply 2
Original post by endergirl123
My parents are scared for my GCSEs I'm really stressed and tired, because I got the most horrendous mock grades :frown: and I still want to get all 9's in my gcse what do I do?

You will look back after you finished your GCSEs and think "why the **** was I stressing about my mock results", trust me.
Honestly, I'm suprised you call yourself "a straight 9 student", because you should still be able to at least pass everything, even if you didn't revise.

If you are worried about your GCSEs, just revise more, and stop putting pressure on yourself to get all grade 9s.
1) please try to stop stressing, it’s okay!! They are just mocks and they are just done to prepare you for actual exams, they aren’t your true results! look at these results as a way to figure out what you need to improve, use them to motivate yourself

2) when I was in year 11, in my mocks (they were in December) i got a 5 maths, and a 7 in English literature, and I actually ended up getting 9 in maths and 9 in english lit.
Original post by Sean720
You will look back after you finished your GCSEs and think "why the **** was I stressing about my mock results", trust me.
Honestly, I'm suprised you call yourself "a straight 9 student", because you should still be able to at least pass everything, even if you didn't revise.

If you are worried about your GCSEs, just revise more, and stop putting pressure on yourself to get all grade 9s.

I used to be, English is my weakpoint and I never ever seem to improve :frown: I try my best but nothing seems to work
Original post by RazzzBerries
You have time. Get your head down and WORK. Find good revision techniques that work for you. Cut back on social media use. Allow time for breaks, but don't over indulge in free time now.

You've got this. Don't cry, chin up. :hugs:

Thank you! :smile: I did revise for this mocks and this is why i feel upset
Thank you! :smile: I did revise for this mocks and this is why i feel upset

If I'm being honest, I'm getting my results on the 30th. I revised just like you but I know I'm not coming out with the grades I wanted either. This is the advice I'm giving myself too.

:heart:
Reply 7
I used to be, English is my weakpoint and I never ever seem to improve :frown: I try my best but nothing seems to work

English always seems to be the thing that people think they are just natrually bad at. I wasn't a "grade 9" student like you but I got a grade 8 in lit and 7 in lang - At one point it just clicked and I jumped from like a grade 5 to 8/9 because I started practicing more. But if you are as smart as you think you are, you should be able to figure out why you ****ed up your mocks. Go back over the paper and find out.
Please don't be upset. And please don't worry.

These are my mock results from December 2017:

Religious Education: 5
English Language: 8
Mathematics: 4
Biology: 6
Chemistry: 4
Physics: 5
French: 6
ICT: A

These are my actual GCSE results from June 2018:

Religious Education: 8
English Language: 8
Mathematics: 7
Biology: 8
Chemistry: 7
Physics: 7
French: 8
ICT: A*
Drama: 6
English Literature (sat this in June 2017): 7

I too, was extremely upset with my mock results. Words cannot express how disheartened and demotivated I was when I opened that piece of paper and saw the absolutely awful grades (my awful may be different from your awful) - I wanted to be a doctor (hence why these grades were awful), I had big dreams and aspirations - and when I saw that, I crumbled. But it was a big shock, and for a good reason, because it kicked me right into gear and made me realise that nothing comes easily. After those results, I revised relatively regularly - for maybe an hour or two each night, doing my notes in biology and chemistry (I kinda ignored physics until a few days before the exam but please don't do that because I was on the lower bound for grade 7, I actually got a grade 6 but then it got remarked because I was 1 mark off and I got pushed up to a 7).

Like I said, please don't panic. I was in the exact same position this time last year, and I've never been filled with so much joy and relief in my life as I was when I opened my actual GCSE results. The hard work will pay off, you just have to put it in now, and you'll get there. I promise!

I wish you the very best of luck. If you ever want to talk, message me!
(edited 5 years ago)
take a look at your revision techniques. take care of your mental health. are you someone who gets overwhelmed easily?
As soon as you receive your exams back compare it with the mark schemes. Find examiners reports for subjects like English. A friend of mine who mostly got 9s was on a 5 and ended up acing her exams. Dont take this the wrong way but perhaps you let your good grades blind you? Dropping from 9s to 2s is a bit wild unless you were taught the wrong material

For new gcses its more than exam questions because the old spec papers are pretty useless unless maybe English and math. Know the content inside out. There's gcse podcasts, freesciencelessons, senecalearning, quizlet, revision guides, workbooks, textbook practice questions.. focus on what you dont understand rather than what you do understand.
Reply 10

What the other person said is true, literally like most people do way worse on their mocks compared to the real exams. You can go from failing everything in your mocks to getting top grades in your gcses as long as you put the work in.
In the nicest way possible, stop being a pussy and just get to work, crying and whining about it online isn't going to help you.
Good luck.
Use all the resoures on this webiste you can find. Use Seneca (free to sign up to and use, has most subjects and so helpful) and Study Rocket (Free for one subject). Ask your teachers for extra lessons and advice - remember their pay depends on what you get.
But dont worry. I was the tester year for the new GCSEs and trust me the mocks never ever go well. For one thing someone always ends up crying. But hey at least now you know your rock bottom. Now the only way is up.
Original post by RazzzBerries
If I'm being honest, I'm getting my results on the 30th. I revised just like you but I know I'm not coming out with the grades I wanted either. This is the advice I'm giving myself too.

:heart:

:smile: tell me how it goes! I hope you do well
use Mr Bruff on youtube for english, he got me from a D and C in January mocks to an A and A* in my exams!
:smile: tell me how it goes! I hope you do well

Thanks xx
Original post by nintysixthousand
use Mr Bruff on youtube for english, he got me from a D and C in January mocks to an A and A* in my exams!

Yeah I'll definitely check him out thanks!
Yeah I'll definitely check him out thanks!

He doesn't use the same exam board gosh darnit
Reply 17
He doesn't use the same exam board gosh darnit

English Language shouldn't be that different across the exam boards. In your exam there should still be questions about analysing language and structure and creative writing at the end. You can still use him. But English Literature I'm not so sure about.

Quick Reply

Latest