The Student Room Group

Can my sixth form pull me out of A2 and make me do AS if I flop my mocks?

If I flop these mocks would they take me out and put me into the AS exam rather than doing the full A Levels? I've already gotten offers from my unis too, however, I feel as though I may flop either my Economics or Biology :frown: Do these mocks really matter?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by ItzNico
If I flop these mocks would they take me out and put me into the AS exam rather than doing the full A Levels? I've already gotten offers from my unis too, however, I feel as though I may flop either my Economics or Biology :frown: Do these mocks really matter?

My school threaten to do this to students. But one of the teachers said to me that the school can’t force you to drop A2. They can only say that they won’t pay for it, so if you wanted to continue you’d have to pay for the exam. But most of the time it doesn’t even get to that point- it seems to be a threat that is rarely followed through with. I know it’s easier said than done but try not to worry too much about it and try your best to do well in your mocks. Good luck!
Original post by ItzNico

They can decide they won’t enter you for A2, yes. It doesn’t happen very often, but sixth forms tend not to enter somebody who isn’t ready for the exams.
Reply 4
Original post by Goldiepop
My school threaten to do this to students. But one of the teachers said to me that the school can’t force you to drop A2. They can only say that they won’t pay for it, so if you wanted to continue you’d have to pay for the exam. But most of the time it doesn’t even get to that point- it seems to be a threat that is rarely followed through with. I know it’s easier said than done but try not to worry too much about it and try your best to do well in your mocks. Good luck!

Thanks, so they could pull someone out pretty much anytime before the exams even if I've received my uni offers?
Reply 5
Original post by FloralHybrid
They can decide they won’t enter you for A2, yes. It doesn’t happen very often, but sixth forms tend not to enter somebody who isn’t ready for the exams.

Thanks, so they could pull someone out pretty much anytime before the exams even if I've received my uni offers?
Original post by ItzNico

Yes, as long as it’s not actually during exams. It wouldn’t be sudden. You’d know it was coming if they were planning to do that - but maybe your teachers would take your uni offers into consideration if they were to make a decision like that
Original post by ItzNico

They shouldn’t withdraw you without talking to you first, the only instance really where they’d be set against you taking an A-Level is if it was likely you were going to fail. If that is the case, it’s in your best interest not to sit them. However, if you’ve got an unconditional offer from university, they might bear in mind that one bad grade won’t be an issue. Either way, keep working and if you are studying enough to pass, they won’t have reason to not enter you. Good luck!
Reply 8
They'll be doing this becasue they think you're likely to get a U at A level and a D at AS is better for you than a U at A level. Talk to them about the options but take it as your chance to prove that you can pass the A level by putting the work in now.

Schools are not allowed to charge students the exam fees for a course they have been attending.
Original post by Compost
They'll be doing this becasue they think you're likely to get a U at A level and a D at AS is better for you than a U at A level. Talk to them about the options but take it as your chance to prove that you can pass the A level by putting the work in now.

Schools are not allowed to charge students the exam fees for a course they have been attending.

Schools can refuse to pay for a students exam entry if they believe you can fail as you said. If they refuse to enter you for an exam you have the option to either not sit it and just forget about the qualification or pay for yourself to be entered, this option doesn’t change based on whether you’ve been present in class or not
Original post by Goldiepop
Schools can refuse to pay for a students exam entry if they believe you can fail as you said. If they refuse to enter you for an exam you have the option to either not sit it and just forget about the qualification or pay for yourself to be entered, this option doesn’t change based on whether you’ve been present in class or not

If you are enrolled on the course and have ben attending the lessons then they cannot charge you to enter for the exam https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/charging-for-school-activities However, it is Ok for them to discuss with a student whether it is in the student's best interest to take that exam at all, or whether it would be better to take a lesser qualification - or none at all.

Quick Reply

Latest