The Student Room Group

Religious ed gcse éduquas wjec exam board

How do you answer each 5 marker 8 marker and 15 marker question? My teacher is terrible and doesn’t go over them very well and I’m finding re really difficult even though I got the highest and best result last year and now I’m just dropping below. My teacher also says that you can no longer write like 3 points for a 5 marker and develop your answer to get all marks or 4 developed points for an 8 market or 4 developed points with strong or weak argument and a conclusion for a 15 marker.
How do u guys answer ur questions and what are your methods etc?
5 marker: 2 paragraphs with 2 points with description quotes ect
8 marker: 4-5 paragraphs with separate points and conclusion
15 marker: lots of separate points
I write Conclusions short as they waste time fo use on the main points and explaining them and backing them up with evidence ect.
Original post by Cheeky_nandos
5 marker: 2 paragraphs with 2 points with description quotes ect
8 marker: 4-5 paragraphs with separate points and conclusion
15 marker: lots of separate points
I write Conclusions short as they waste time fo use on the main points and explaining them and backing them up with evidence ect.

Thank you! Does this method get you good marks? Do you have write a conclusion because my teacher says that there’s no point
Original post by ArtmisKco
Thank you! Does this method get you good marks? Do you have write a conclusion because my teacher says that there’s no point

Yeh for higher mark questions make sure to use quotes, conclusion are actually pretty much a waste of time lol
Original post by Cheeky_nandos
Yeh for higher mark questions make sure to use quotes, conclusion are actually pretty much a waste of time lol

Thank you so much!
This is how I answer each question, I and always get full marks or 14/15:
For the 5 ad 8 marker use this mnemonic:
K - knowledge aka state your point
I - influence (how does a certain belief/practice affects the life of Catholics/Jewish etc.)
S - specific language (key words e.g. Nicene creed, Aron kodehs, Pikuach Nefesh, Trinity etc..)
S - source (Quote the Bible or paraphrase or any source of wisdom. It does not have to be a quote you can also use relevant examples to back up your point)

For the 15 marker question I do: 3 agree, 3 disagree, judgement (I decide which part - agree or disagree is stronger and WHY) and a conclusion (again you need to choose a side agree or disagree and explain what you've just said for both parts).

P.S conclusion are not a waste of time because they also mark them if your points are strong
(edited 5 years ago)
Are you doing route A or B? so I can give you more specific details about each religion
Original post by sqrt of 5
Are you doing route A or B? so I can give you more specific details about each religion

Route B
Route B

Phew 😅 cuz I'm doing the same thing, do you need more details or you're fine?
Phew 😅 cuz I'm doing the same thing, do you need more details or you're fine?

More detail will be greatly appreciated 🙂
More detail will be greatly appreciated 🙂

Ok so, for the 5 markers here's the mark scheme:
ttytyt.PNG
Here you can see that my technique (KISS) works perfectly. I usually do 3 paragraph

For the 8 marker question, my teacher always recommends me to do 4 paragraphs IF my points aren't strong. I usually do 3 detailed paragraphs using a source of wisdom (Tanakh or the Bible) here's a link (http://resources.eduqas.co.uk/Pages/ResourceSingle.aspx?rIid=730) where you can find sources of wisdom for each component. The mark scheme says:
Attachment not found

It is very similar to the 5 marker question. The only difference is that you also need to explain your point. For example, you cannot say "Catholics believe that euthanasia is wrong" because you are only describing. You can develop that answer by including a reason why:
"Catholics believe that euthanasia is wrong. This is because it goes against the belief that life if a gift from God and He is the only one who can take it away; but also because Catholics believe in sanctity of life (you must explain what sanctity of life means) which is the belief that human life is special and should be protected." There is something missing from this answer which is the source of wisdom and the influence on Catholics.

"Catholics believe that euthanasia is wrong. This is because it goes against the belief that life belongs to God He is the only one who can take it away; but also because Catholics believe in sanctity of life which is the belief that human life is special and should be protected because it's a gift from God. A source that can prove this ideology comes from The Catechism of the Catholic Church which says that we are only stewards, not owners of the life which God gave to us. For this reason, Catholics support clinics that palliative care (in hospices for example) because it respects the value of every person until their natural death."

If you look at the mark scheme, I used explained in detail what Catholics believe, I linked the belief (Life is a gift/sanctity of life) to practice/influence (palliative care) and i used key terms (sanctity of life, euthanasia) and teachings (the CCC)

For the 15 mark question if you can give me a question I'll can try to help you
ttytyt.PNG
Here you can see that my technique (KISS) works perfectly. I usually do 3 paragraph

For the 8 marker question, my teacher always recommends me to do 4 paragraphs IF my points aren't strong. I usually do 3 detailed paragraphs using a source of wisdom (Tanakh or the Bible) here's a link (http://resources.eduqas.co.uk/Pages/ResourceSingle.aspx?rIid=730) where you can find sources of wisdom for each component. The mark scheme says:
Attachment not found

It is very similar to the 5 marker question. The only difference is that you also need to explain your point. For example, you cannot say "Catholics believe that euthanasia is wrong" because you are only describing. You can develop that answer by including a reason why:
"Catholics believe that euthanasia is wrong. This is because it goes against the belief that life if a gift from God and He is the only one who can take it away; but also because Catholics believe in sanctity of life (you must explain what sanctity of life means) which is the belief that human life is special and should be protected." There is something missing from this answer which is the source of wisdom and the influence on Catholics.

"Catholics believe that euthanasia is wrong. This is because it goes against the belief that life belongs to God He is the only one who can take it away; but also because Catholics believe in sanctity of life which is the belief that human life is special and should be protected because it's a gift from God. A source that can prove this ideology comes from The Catechism of the Catholic Church which says that we are only stewards, not owners of the life which God gave to us. For this reason, Catholics support clinics that palliative care (in hospices for example) because it respects the value of every person until their natural death."

If you look at the mark scheme, I used explained in detail what Catholics believe, I linked the belief (Life is a gift/sanctity of life) to practice/influence (palliative care) and i used key terms (sanctity of life, euthanasia) and teachings (the CCC)

Ah I understand thank you! Just wondering, how do you revise re? Ok here’s a 15 mark question
‘there is no such thing as purgatory’
discuss this statement showing that you have considered more than one point of view
Ah I understand thank you! Just wondering, how do you revise re? Ok here’s a 15 mark question
‘there is no such thing as purgatory’
discuss this statement showing that you have considered more than one point of view

I just do some question and I learn each source of wisdom using quizlet

Ok, so this is the mark scheme for the last question:
dfthththth.PNG
Like I said before I usually do 8 paragraphs in 15 minutes and I ALWAYS start with the 15 markers for each paper. You you can manage your time very well this question shouldn't be a problem. If you can't you need to be able to summarise those 8 paragraphs into 3 main paragraphs - religiuos view, non-religious view and a conclusion or a paragraph where you evaluate what you just said. However, I cannot guarantee that this techniques actually works because my teacher will explain how to use it next lesson. Imma going to teach you the 8 paragraphs method.

there is no such thing as purgatory’

Before you start writing, plan your answer. What I usually do (for revision as well) is think of a point, how can I develop that point (explain and influence) and a source (use the link that I gave you before or search online ask your teacher). This is a difficult question (ngl) even for me as the only way to backup your points is through the use of sources from the Bible or examples. I will try my best. The question says that you need to consider more than one point of view. I will use the Catholics view, the atheist (or non religious) view and the Christian view

First paragraph agree side:
1) Protestant Christian do not accept the idea of purgatory (my point), they simply believe that people either accept God and are in a state of grace with Him or they reject it (I developed my answer here). For example, if a person completely reject the idea that God and goes against his will, will not receive God's mercy and therefore will not have eternal life but will spent eternity in Hell.(my example to back up the point I made) A source that can prove this belief comes from Luke16:19-31 - every human being will be held to account by God for the things they do or fail to do during their lives. (my source of wisdom. Although it was not necessary - because i used an example, I wanted to improve my point and force the examiner to give me marks)

Second paragraph agree side:
2)Furthermore, non religious people (here you can give an example) such as humanist agree with the statement because there is no proof of heaven, hell or purgatory (point). This is because no one knows where purgatory is therefore, it does not exist (develop). For this reason, humanist reject the belief that life after death exist - because after we die, our bodies will simply rot away. (example to back up my point)

3) Last paragraph agree side:
Humanist do not believe in purgatory or in eschatology because science proved that there is no soul inside the body. Only the souls will go to purgatory in order to be cleansed, therefore if there isn't a soul, purgatory cannot exist

Now I gotta go but remember for the disagree side you can use the fact that Catholics believe in life after death and that purgatory is a place of cleansing (source: CCC - All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation: but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.)

In order to go to heaven and spend eternity with God, you need to be sinless (source/example: good deeds, confession, baptism). if souls are not sinless then they will go to purgatory in order to be cleansed. Influence on Catholics- pray for the dead, requiem mass. You must be able to link them to the belief of purgatory

Last point the existence of purgatory can be found in the scriptures. 1 Corinthians 3:13

Make a judgement. Choose which side is stronger and then finish with a conclusion. With the answer that i gave you you could probably archive 13 marks, gimme another question and I'll try to help if you need more examples.

p.s. are you doing Judaism?
(edited 5 years ago)
I just do some question and I learn each source of wisdom using quizlet

Ok, so this is the mark scheme for the last question:
dfthththth.PNG
Like I said before I usually do 8 paragraphs in 15 minutes and I ALWAYS start with the 15 markers for each paper. You you can manage your time very well this question shouldn't be a problem. If you can't you need to be able to summarise those 8 paragraphs into 3 main paragraphs - religiuos view, non-religious view and a conclusion or a paragraph where you evaluate what you just said. However, I cannot guarantee that this techniques actually works because my teacher will explain how to use it next lesson. Imma going to teach you the 8 paragraphs method.

there is no such thing as purgatory’

Before you start writing, plan your answer. What I usually do (for revision as well) is think of a point, how can I develop that point (explain and influence) and a source (use the link that I gave you before or search online ask your teacher). This is a difficult question (ngl) even for me as the only way to backup your points is through the use of sources from the Bible or examples. I will try my best. The question says that you need to consider more than one point of view. I will use the Catholics view, the atheist (or non religious) view and the Christian view

First paragraph agree side:
1) Protestant Christian do not accept the idea of purgatory (my point), they simply believe that people either accept God and are in a state of grace with Him or they reject it (I developed my answer here). For example, if a person completely reject the idea that God and goes against his will, will not receive God's mercy and therefore will not have eternal life but will spent eternity in Hell.(my example to back up the point I made) A source that can prove this belief comes from Luke16:19-31 - every human being will be held to account by God for the things they do or fail to do during their lives. (my source of wisdom. Although it was not necessary - because i used an example, I wanted to improve my point and force the examiner to give me marks)

Second paragraph agree side:
2)Furthermore, non religious people (here you can give an example) such as humanist agree with the statement because there is no proof of heaven, hell or purgatory (point). This is because no one knows where purgatory is therefore, it does not exist (develop). For this reason, humanist reject the belief that life after death exist - because after we die, our bodies will simply rot away. (example to back up my point)

3) Last paragraph agree side:
Humanist do not believe in purgatory or in eschatology because science proved that there is no soul inside the body. Only the souls will go to purgatory in order to be cleansed, therefore if there isn't a soul, purgatory cannot exist

Now I gotta go but remember for the disagree side you can use the fact that Catholics believe in life after death and that purgatory is a place of cleansing (source: CCC - All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation: but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.)

In order to go to heaven and spend eternity with God, you need to be sinless (source/example: good deeds, confession, baptism). if souls are not sinless then they will go to purgatory in order to be cleansed. Influence on Catholics- pray for the dead, requiem mass. You must be able to link them to the belief of purgatory

Last point the existence of purgatory can be found in the scriptures. 1 Corinthians 3:13

Make a judgement. Choose which side is stronger and then finish with a conclusion. With the answer that i gave you you could probably archive 13 marks, gimme another question and I'll try to help if you need more examples.

p.s. are you doing Judaism?

Thank you soooo much! :smile:
And yes I am doing Judaism
Reply 14
For 5 markers, one paragraph using KSS (KISS without the I) should be enough if you are struggling for time. The examiner's report from last year states that the 5 markers should be "One paragraph in length" with " full descriptions (Knowledge), including the use of subject-specific vocabulary and a reference to a source. The main issue was that people were not familiar with specific sources but that's more to do with knowing the content than writing the answer.

For an 8 marker I usually opt for 2 KISS paragraphs, this is where "influence" is important as it is the main difference between the 5 markers and 8 markers. I don't think there is much importance of answer length in comparison to exploratory answers so don't try to write too much on these questions to leave time for the 15 mark questions. Hope this was helpful :smile:

ttytyt.PNG

Attachment not found

Original post by wnnabea
For 5 markers, one paragraph using KSS (KISS without the I) should be enough if you are struggling for time. The examiner's report from last year states that the 5 markers should be "One paragraph in length" with " full descriptions (Knowledge), including the use of subject-specific vocabulary and a reference to a source. The main issue was that people were not familiar with specific sources but that's more to do with knowing the content than writing the answer.

For an 8 marker I usually opt for 2 KISS paragraphs, this is where "influence" is important as it is the main difference between the 5 markers and 8 markers. I don't think there is much importance of answer length in comparison to exploratory answers so don't try to write too much on these questions to leave time for the 15 mark questions. Hope this was helpful :smile:

omg yea i know im using the KISS technique as well o:
Reply 16
omg yea i know im using the KISS technique as well o:

we're all in this together :')
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending