The Student Room Group

Should Prince Philip be arrested??

Since the incident, it is clear that he should not be driving. To start with, if this wasn't Prince Philip, I'm sure there would've been a court case as the victims suffered cuts and broken bones. Luckily the baby was ok, but to top it all off, he didn't even apologise to the family and was spotted the next day in brand new Range Rover driving without a seat belt! He should have been tried before the court in my opinion, just like everyone else.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree. But, if he can't be tried, I would at least want him to apologise to the family. Which he hasn't done yet.
Reply 2
Apparantly he was blinded by the low winter sun - in my book if he couldn't clearly see that the road that he was joining was clear he was driving without due care and attention which is an endorseable offence which carries a fine, points on his licence or disqualification from driving
he ****ing shold be! An old man mustnt be drivin. He cant even bloody see
Reply 4
Original post by siamsam
Apparantly he was blinded by the low winter sun - in my book if he couldn't clearly see that the road that he was joining was clear he was driving without due care and attention which is an endorseable offence which carries a fine, points on his licence or disqualification from driving

My opinion exactly. These types of accidents really put me off wanting to learn to drive
Original post by Iasonas
Since the incident, it is clear that he should not be driving. To start with, if this wasn't Prince Philip, I'm sure there would've been a court case as the victims suffered cuts and broken bones. Luckily the baby was ok, but to top it all off, he didn't even apologise to the family and was spotted the next day in brand new Range Rover driving without a seat belt! He should have been tried before the court in my opinion, just like everyone else.

Have they actually found him to be the cause or are people assuming it's because he's 97? It's a road accident, the insurance will pay out to the other and that's all that needs to be done. People are rarely arrested for a car accident unless they caused serious harm or death. There is nothing for him to be arrested for. They should however review his ability to drive and preferably stop driving. The issue with growing old is you feel the same as you always have and pride makes people feel like they're still capable, but they're not able to do the same as they used to, yet it's not clear to them, only to others.
Reply 6
Arrested for what? he was blinded by the sun. If this was a crash between two ordinary people it would be the same, the insurance company will pay out. Seems like everyone expects loads of money and an arrest to be made just cos hes royalty.
Reply 7
I like how everybody instantly knows all the ins and outs of the incident.

Police have investigated. They found no fault. And they have already admitted that road is dangerous.

Driving without a seatbelt is not an arrestable offence.
Reply 8
A proper apology would suffice.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
I like how everybody instantly knows all the ins and outs of the incident.

Police have investigated. They found no fault. And they have already admitted that road is dangerous.

Driving without a seatbelt is not an arrestable offence.

If my arm was broken by someone, I'd want them to be arrested old or not. It was completely avoidable if he'd taken the correct precautions.
Reply 10
Original post by Fekky.
Arrested for what? he was blinded by the sun. If this was a crash between two ordinary people it would be the same, the insurance company will pay out. Seems like everyone expects loads of money and an arrest to be made just cos hes royalty.

Even if people had broken arms and cuts down to their knees? I doubt it. The first headline on the story was 'Prince Philip in car crash - but he's ok' - what about the baby and her mother? This place is crazy
Original post by Iasonas
If my arm was broken by someone, I'd want them to be arrested old or not. It was completely avoidable if he'd taken the correct precautions.

You're assuming Philip's car collided with the one she was a passenger in and that therefore Philip was at fault. Why?
Original post by metamaterials
he ****ing shold be! An old man mustnt be drivin. He cant even bloody see

Old men can drive. It should be based on their ability though. That's why people want retesting at 70. There are perfectly capable drivers over the age of 100 so we shouldn't be ageist and restrict if they don't pose a threat to the road.
Reply 13
Original post by Drewski
You're assuming Philip's car collided with the one she was a passenger in and that therefore Philip was at fault. Why?

He drove into her as he was 'blinded by the sun'. He is clearly at fault here.
You're not supposed to apologise because lawyers and insurance companies use that as an admission of guilt/fault.
Reply 15
Original post by Iasonas
Even if people had broken arms and cuts down to their knees? I doubt it. The first headline on the story was 'Prince Philip in car crash - but he's ok' - what about the baby and her mother? This place is crazy

Yep, when an ordinary person is in an accident and they suffer a broken arm, they don't go and try charge the other driver for a crime. The insurance will pay you this lovely thing called "compensation". As for why the Prince was mentioned and not the others, probably because hes actually well known and why it's on the news. I doubt it'd be on the news if it was just an accident between 2 normal people.

You're a bit on the thick side aren't you?
Reply 16
Original post by Fekky.
Yep, when an ordinary person is in an accident and they suffer a broken arm, they don't go and try charge the other driver for a crime. The insurance will pay you this lovely thing called "compensation". As for why the Prince was mentioned and not the others, probably because hes actually well known and why it's on the news. I doubt it'd be on the news if it was just an accident between 2 normal people.

You're a bit on the thick side aren't you?

What did you get at GCSE and A level/predicted grades? This will be fun; I'd think twice before calling me thick...
Original post by Iasonas
He drove into her as he was 'blinded by the sun'. He is clearly at fault here.

There's nothing clear about it.

You're assuming details.

Stop it.
Original post by Iasonas
What did you get at GCSE and A level/predicted grades? This will be fun; I'd think twice before calling me thick...

:rolleyes:
Grow up, idiot.
Reply 19
Original post by Iasonas

You're completely delusional, go get some help. Think twice about calling you thick or what? Loosen the arrogance my dear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending