The Student Room Group

No clue what to do in the future.

Currently in year 12, doing maths, further maths and psychology. But I’ve got no clue what to do career wise, meaning I have no clue what course I want to do either.
I kinda sorta need to know this asap or I’m going to screw myself over in the future. I need to be out of my house by 18 with a game plan, but I’ve got nothing. All I know, is that I’m moving in with my boyfriend after sixth form, gonna need to know what uni I’m planning on going asap, so we can get all that shiit sorted too. Me having no game plan is really affecting my motivation, seeing as I have nothing to work towards, I wanna be able to have everything set in stone.
Thinking realistically, I’d be doing something to do with maths, but when I apply it to the real world, I hate it?? It’s all to do with stats, and that’s just not for me. Anything like accountancy will just kill me, I hate spreadsheets and datasets, but apparently real world maths is just that. So I really don’t know.
I don’t really want to go down the psychology path, while it’s okay, I just can’t see myself with it for any longer after my A Levels.
Anyone got any ideas or thing I should look into?? Also any good courses you think I may be interested in??

Scroll to see replies

Hhhhhhhhhhhhh, bump. Feel like I should’ve posted this at a different time. Might repost it after school if no one replies rn, seeing as it’s 1am with school in the morning.
But I’ve got no clue where to take a maths degree further at all, like what am I gonna do with it? A maths degree is useless if you don’t have anything you can do with it. I’ve looked into so many career paths to do with maths and nothing strikes a cord, it all seems dull and tedious, to do with sh*tty stats or an area or maths that I don’t particularly like.
What’s the course been like with engineering? What do you do? I’m not sure if I should go into engineering, what area of engineering are you doing??
I feel like I’ll hate everything. Dkgkgkdkgkgkd. I remember not particularly liking CAD in year 8, but then again, that was year 8. Also, me being a girl, not sure how I’d be with the whole engineering thing. Whenever I think of engineering, I tend to think of like a plumber or an electrician, feel like I don’t really understand the career paths behind engineering? What kind of careers are you looking into after uni?
Ic. I do have a major problem with looking at all the cons of certain things first though and I feel like because of that, I’m ruling out something which may be my future job. What if I’ve already ruled it out on the basis that the current me just doesn’t like one aspect of it? Future me could potentially really enjoy that aspect. Am I just thinking too much? How did you figure out what course you were going to do and what area you’d go into?
Same, high five βœ‹πŸΌ
I don’t really have anyone like that, who I could look up to, seeing as I’ll be the first to go to uni in my family. I also don’t enjoy physics so much, so maybe engineering isn’t my thing. Hmm, feel like I might have a talk with my maths teacher about it at some point and ask him for some advice. Idk.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
Same, high five βœ‹πŸΌ

Gotta love being completely aimless in life. Woop~ 🀚🏽
what??!!! πŸ˜•

ur a second year undergrad? at which uni? And u own this site? How much do u handle? And how much do u make out of this site?

Great site btw. Good job!
Reply 10
hmm maths teacher maybe? idk im stuck too haha
Original post by YasudaSayo
hmm maths teacher maybe? idk im stuck too haha

Hhhhhhhhh, I did consider it at one point, but me being close with my maths teachers, I’m now seeing how stressful the job is. The students in schools are also becoming a lot worse behaviour wise and a lot harder to handle. My maths teacher is only 27 and last year, he found out that he had high blood pressure problems. Not even 30 yet. Plus I’m not so great with teaching people or dealing with secondary school ones, I’m not exactly a people person. And I’d rather not teach primary school kids.
Original post by ModeratelyStupid
Currently in year 12, doing maths, further maths and psychology. But I’ve got no clue what to do career wise, meaning I have no clue what course I want to do either.
I kinda sorta need to know this asap or I’m going to screw myself over in the future. I need to be out of my house by 18 with a game plan, but I’ve got nothing. All I know, is that I’m moving in with my boyfriend after sixth form, gonna need to know what uni I’m planning on going asap, so we can get all that shiit sorted too. Me having no game plan is really affecting my motivation, seeing as I have nothing to work towards, I wanna be able to have everything set in stone.
Thinking realistically, I’d be doing something to do with maths, but when I apply it to the real world, I hate it?? It’s all to do with stats, and that’s just not for me. Anything like accountancy will just kill me, I hate spreadsheets and datasets, but apparently real world maths is just that. So I really don’t know.
I don’t really want to go down the psychology path, while it’s okay, I just can’t see myself with it for any longer after my A Levels.
Anyone got any ideas or thing I should look into?? Also any good courses you think I may be interested in??

are you into sport? my friend was crazy about it and she did a joint honours degree in maths + sports science at loughborough which i thought was an odd combination.

she now has a successful career at Ladbrokes Coral bookmakers using her maths skills. i dont know exactly what she's doing but i believe it's the maths required for helping to set the betting odds. anyway she's loving it and maybe you could consider something like that?
Hi @ModeratelyStupid

I've just seen this because @CollectiveSoul mentioned Loughborough in their post.
You don't have to go down a Maths degree route with your A-Levels if that's not what you want to do.
It might be worth looking at this the other way round and thinking about where you want to study and then see what they offer.

I just typed Mathematics in the find a course bar on our website and aside from all the maths/economics/finance/engineering courses it's showing up courses like Computer Science, Management Sciences, Sport Management, Sport & Exercise Science, Natural Science, Sport & Exercise Psychology, Sports Technology and Maths & Sport Science.

I did a similar search on Bath Uni, it gave a similar set of results.

So maybe look at where you'd like to study, start in the area of the country you'd like to live and narrow it down from there. On the UCAS site you can search by location https://digital.ucas.com/search
There is a lot more open to you than you probably think. Worth a go - you might find something you'd not even considered.

Good luck - I hope you find what you want to do.
Vicky
You could do a degree in Psychology, Maths, accountancy or economics. Do some work placements to see if it’s for you
Maths, economics, law and psychology

Quick Reply

Latest