The Student Room Group

Leeds vs Exeter vs Manchester For Law

I’ve received offers to study Law from these 3 universities and I honestly can’t decide which to pick.

Leeds seems to do the best on statistical websites like unistats, league tables and word of mouth I’ve heard. However people on here don’t seem to rate it very well.

Exeter seems to be loved by people on this site and also does very well on statistic websites/league tables, but not quite as well as Leeds.

Manchester appears to do the worst in league tables and statistics, but people on this site really recommend it.

I feel like my research is just running in a circle and I’d like some advice on which of these universities is the best academically.
Original post by Atlas99
I’ve received offers to study Law from these 3 universities and I honestly can’t decide which to pick.

Leeds seems to do the best on statistical websites like unistats, league tables and word of mouth I’ve heard. However people on here don’t seem to rate it very well.

Exeter seems to be loved by people on this site and also does very well on statistic websites/league tables, but not quite as well as Leeds.

Manchester appears to do the worst in league tables and statistics, but people on this site really recommend it.

I feel like my research is just running in a circle and I’d like some advice on which of these universities is the best academically.

They are very different places and universities. Personally I prefer Exeter as a place to live and a smaller city.

Go and visit if you have not done so.
Original post by Muttley79
They are very different places and universities. Personally I prefer Exeter as a place to live and a smaller city.

Go and visit if you have not done so.

I’ve visited Leeds and I really liked it. I have done lots of looking on google maps around Exeter and I also really like it. I’m not keen on Manchester but would be willing to go if the University is good enough.
Why doesn’t it matter?
If it’s just about the place I guess that leaves only Exeter and Leeds. I don’t like Manchester.
Original post by Atlas99
If it’s just about the place I guess that leaves only Exeter and Leeds. I don’t like Manchester.

I prefer Exeter to Leeds - weather is better too! Go and visit Exeter, a google tour isn't the same ...
Original post by Muttley79
I prefer Exeter to Leeds - weather is better too! Go and visit Exeter, a google tour isn't the same ...

I’d like to but I live 8 hours away.
Original post by Atlas99

OK - a weekend then. I travel around a lot - maybe convince your family to consider a weekend break during half-term?
Original post by Atlas99

Do you live in the UK? If the 8 hours is from one side of the country to the other, I would find that a strong argument for putting Leeds first. If it's a pain in the ass to attend an Open Day, its's going to be the same pain at the beginning and end of every term.
Original post by harrysbar
Do you live in the UK? If the 8 hours is from one side of the country to the other, I would find that a strong argument for putting Leeds first. If it's a pain in the ass to attend an Open Day, its's going to be the same pain at the beginning and end of every term.

I live in the U.K. but in the north east near Newcastle. I was thinking an 8 hour trip would be a pain at the start/end of term. Also I’ve just checked the train fare and it’s over £200.
Original post by Atlas99
I live in the U.K. but in the north east near Newcastle. I was thinking an 8 hour trip would be a pain at the start/end of term. Also I’ve just checked the train fare and it’s over £200.

Yikes, that sounds like a good reason to me to put Leeds before Exeter.

But at the end of the day, don't worry about what people on TSR think (including me!) go where you want to go.

They are both great Unis, both do well in league tables, both good for Law, both Russell Group.
Original post by Atlas99

Check Newcastle to Exeter flights with Flybe. Cheaper and quicker. You might need overnight accommodation Alternatively look at train fare Newcastle to Birmingham and Birmingham to Exeter or Newcastle to London KX and Lodon Paddington to Exeter St Davids as there are sometimes big savings to be had. If you buy a 16-26 railcard for £30 you get 1/3 off fares. It lasts for a year.
Original post by swanseajack1
Check Newcastle to Exeter flights with Flybe. Cheaper and quicker. You might need overnight accommodation Alternatively look at train fare Newcastle to Birmingham and Birmingham to Exeter or Newcastle to London KX and Lodon Paddington to Exeter St Davids as there are sometimes big savings to be had. If you buy a 16-26 railcard for £30 you get 1/3 off fares. It lasts for a year.

Thats a great idea thanks for the help
Yh Exeter is an amazing place but you don't want to go uni 8 hours away and have to pay that much every holiday or time you want to go home. Also I've heard the Leeds nightlife is amazing and definitely better than Exeter
Original post by WARisMAD
Yh Exeter is an amazing place but you don't want to go uni 8 hours away and have to pay that much every holiday or time you want to go home. Also I've heard the Leeds nightlife is amazing and definitely better than Exeter

Is Leeds supposed to be as good as Exeter academically?
Original post by Atlas99
Is Leeds supposed to be as good as Exeter academically?

I would say so...not much to choose between them academically so it more comes down to big city versus small city - plus other individual preferences like where you want to live geographically

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending