The Student Room Group

Lied on my UCAS application

When I started my sixth form in 2017 the admissions department entered in my qualifications and results into the system wrong, it’s a very minor mistake, but it says I have a GCSE in Religious Studies when I don’t, it’s a short course GCSE.

I didn’t realise until after I had applied and I had copied my results from the college records into UCAS.

I spoke to my careers department and they said that they wouldn’t bother changing it as it’s so minor but I can’t help thinking if I get a place at some of the more competitive uni’s I’ve applied to will it be down to the fact that I have one more GCSE than somebody help and I can’t help but feel overwhelmingly guilty about it.

I know it’s a bit stupid but does anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
Your school is stupid, its a violation of UCAS to put false qualifications on. How could they knowingly agree?
Original post by caitlinhayes
When I started my sixth form in 2017 the admissions department entered in my qualifications and results into the system wrong, it’s a very minor mistake, but it says I have a GCSE in Religious Studies when I don’t, it’s a short course GCSE.

I didn’t realise until after I had applied and I had copied my results from the college records into UCAS.

I spoke to my careers department and they said that they wouldn’t bother changing it as it’s so minor but I can’t help thinking if I get a place at some of the more competitive uni’s I’ve applied to will it be down to the fact that I have one more GCSE than somebody help and I can’t help but feel overwhelmingly guilty about it.

It must be awful to have such a strong conscience.

I agree that it's minor...but to be absolutely certain you could email UCAS about it.
Email [email protected] and ask to get it changed.

You'll be fine.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ultimately, even at the best unis this will not be a deciding factor in terms of getting a place. However, you should try to get it corrected just to make sure you are complying with UCAS's rules. Don't worry, it is a genuine mistake, just email them.
Original post by Fekky.
Your school is stupid, its a violation of UCAS to put false qualifications on. How could they knowingly agree?

My college hasn’t got a very high rate of students going to university, they’re more focused on getting people into careers so students applying to uni aren’t really their priority, especially when it comes down to something they don’t fully understand :/

They fully advised me not to change it and I agree, they are stupid

The main question is why did you lie in the first place? I sent mine off a while ago, with no lies. I don't understand why you felt the need to lie. Tell us, and then we can help you more.
Reply 7

Email UCAS and get it changed - it won't make a difference to your application AT ALL
Original post by BetaZeta
Email UCAS and get it changed - it won't make a difference to your application AT ALL

^ This.

It was a mistake. Hiding it looks a lot worse than asking to get it changed.
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334
The main question is why did you lie in the first place? I sent mine off a while ago, with no lies. I don't understand why you felt the need to lie. Tell us, and then we can help you more.

What is it with people not reading the descriptions?
https://www.ucas.com/content/request-amend-qualifications-listed-your-application
This is what you need to change your qualifications, just note it as a change on the bottom of the form.
It's also good practise to contact your unis once the amendment has been done :smile:
Best of luck!
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334

where the heck did OP say anything about lying? it's a great achievement you sent yours of without doing so.
Reply 12

Your school's admissions department is so dodgy. Please email or phone UCAS to get this changed ASAP.
It's only R.E. lol
Update, I’ve emailed UCAS to change it :smile: Hopefully it doesn’t alert my school or anything tho
Just out of interest, do they even check your qualifications with the exam boards? I didn't put in my ULN number (Neither did the rest of my year) and UCAS didn't say ****

It is a minor mistake and most likely it won't influence the decisions made by the unis. Think about it there are thousands and thousands of candidates applying and all of those candidates can't have a perfect application, there must be many errors made as it's a very human thing to do. To reduce the guilt you can email UCAS so you know you have taken some sort of action to fix this error.
Hi, back a week later aha, I've emailed UCAS and filled out a form to get the grade changed but I've had no response and nothings changed - do I just leave it now as it's been almost 2 weeks? Clearly it's not that important

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending