The Student Room Group

Chemistry Olympiad 2019 Official Thread

Anyone doing this in the coming weeks? Feel nervous and unprepared because uni apps been taking up all my time. Any discussion and tips/suggestions would be very helpful!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Taking it as a L6, does anyone have any advice?
Reply 2
Good luck to everyone participating. Personally, my chemistry knowledge is nowhere near the standard required for these competitions, but I commend everyone taking part. :smile:
Reply 3
Has anyone done it yet?
Reply 4
Original post by mrlau02
Taking it as a L6, does anyone have any advice?

I think I just saw you on Reddit.. I'm a L6 as well, are you aiming for an award?
Reply 5
Original post by crybabynessie
I think I just saw you on Reddit.. I'm a L6 as well, are you aiming for an award?

Nah I’m not. I’ve done horribly on the past papers so I’ll hope for an award but won’t be disappointed if I get less than 10 marks
I'm taking it next week. Want to get a gold as I got a high (couple marks off the Rb thingie :/ ) score in the C3L6 challenge last year but idk the olympiads are longer and harder. Anyone done this year's yet? Been distracted with uni applications but now that's over I've done a few past papers. Regardless of content I tend to find the shorter ones easier just from a concentration perspective. Hope it's not a 100 marks one...
Personally, many of the questions are achieveable, the only difficulty is organic- Attempting to see where to start; usually working from the end product to the start works; from here you can see where to progress between intermediates. I particulary enjoy the inorganic, analytical and mathematical element of the olympaids, they enable one to think and explore the concept even further by combining elements of specific sections together. Last year's paper was nice, hopefully this year it is not as bad!

Good luck to everyone sitting their exam, remember any award is very respectable. I am aiming for Gold
(edited 5 years ago)
OK it's been confirmed that Wothers wants to kill us. The paper was significantly harder than last year's in the opinion of most that sat it. Not to dampen your spirits but get ready, and sharpen up your maths skills.
Original post by chickenwing2291
OK it's been confirmed that Wothers wants to kill us. The paper was significantly harder than last year's in the opinion of most that sat it. Not to dampen your spirits but get ready, and sharpen up your maths skills.

What kind of maths skills?
Original post by Academic_Medic
What kind of maths skills?

don't want to reveal too much bc it would be unfair but my general advice is practice equation manipulation and algebra skills
Reply 11
I can't wait.
did anybody do it today; I did, there was so much maths!!
did anybody do it today; there was so much maths!!
Any tips on what’s on it, the kind of stuff I need to know and general adviceI’m a year 12 student and have done very little revision for it - I see it as a little fun regardless of whether I get a bronze or not
I did it today and it was honestly so much harder than the practices I'd done so don't really have any advice to give considering I couldn't do most of it 😂
I did it today. I'm not really sure what to think about it. I'm hoping for round 2 (I got Rg in C3L6 which is sort of similar), but of course who knows how everyone else did.

Please don't discuss it on here yet - some people haven't done it yet, so if you discuss you're effectively raising the boundaries for everyone.
Original post by Dysf(x)al
I did it today. I'm not really sure what to think about it. I'm hoping for round 2 (I got Rg in C3L6 which is sort of similar), but of course who knows how everyone else did.

Please don't discuss it on here yet - some people haven't done it yet, so if you discuss you're effectively raising the boundaries for everyone.

hey I remember you from my c3l6 thread 👋👋
congrats on the trin offer ahaha see ya there next year hopefully
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by chickenwing2291
hey I remember you from my c3l6 thread 👋👋

I remember you too! I hope the olympiad went well for you.
Original post by Dysf(x)al
I remember you too! I hope the olympiad went well for you.

once i dreamed big of representing GB but after that paper i am done with mr peter wothers :colonhash::colonhash:
I'm sure it went well for you Rg squad people haha
good luck, and get ready for round 2 :wink: pls post if you get in I'd like to follow updates!

Quick Reply

Latest