The Student Room Group

Physics

Hi, so for isothermal process it says that temperature is constant but why does that mean p x v is constant - I don't really understand what they mean?

I am probs tired :/ But can someone please clear this up for me - will mean a lot

10.PNG
I think it's as simple as saying pV = nRT, so if T = constant, nRT = constant so pV is a constant.
What course are you doing?
Reply 2
Original post by old_teach
I think it's as simple as saying pV = nRT, so if T = constant, nRT = constant so pV is a constant.
What course are you doing?

Hi, thanks very much! But wouldn't the moles "n" be able to change? Since R is a constant and T is constant but n is not, so pv is not necessarily constant, no?

This is medical biophysics (first year medic) - apologies haven't done chemistry in a while , hence my stupid question :biggrin:
No questions are stupid!
n could change, but I think the writer was expecting the gas to be in a sealed container (like a cylinder with moveable piston).
The content feels quite old fashioned to me, so it's interesting what you need to learn to be a medic!
Reply 4
Original post by old_teach
No questions are stupid!
n could change, but I think the writer was expecting the gas to be in a sealed container (like a cylinder with moveable piston).
The content feels quite old fashioned to me, so it's interesting what you need to learn to be a medic!

Ah right! Thank you very much!!:smile:

Yes indeed, haha :smile:

Apologies for slightly late reply as my internet stopped working

Quick Reply

Latest