The Student Room Group

Guys I really need your help!!!

I have to choose between university of Sheffield and university of Sussex. Now the problem is that I feel that uni of Sheffield is better because it’s a member of the Russell Group, and is also one of the original red brick college. But for my course that is- BSc in Genetics Sussex is ranked higher than Sheffield. My agent says that I should go with Sussex, but the Russell group factor is confusing me (also my other choice is university of Manchester)
I realllllyyyy need help, for the international scholarships deadline are round the corner
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely. I'm predicted A*AA, and I am going to a non-Russel group, because the course I have found is much better for me. The skills that you can show are a lot more useful than just the name of a uni. The exact Uni that you go to is not as important (status wise) as it used to be, especially as alternative qualifications e.g. Degree Apprenticeships, are becomming increasingly popular.

Go with the course that sounds the most interesting for you- after all, it's a whole load of debt just to put the name of an establishment on a CV, make the time worthwhile and enjoyable for yourself!

Good Luck :smile:
Why don’t you go on LinkedIn and search the course name? See where former students have ended up, should give you a clearer idea
Reply 3
But Sussex is much lower than Sheffield in the league tables
Also, should I just keep my course in mind? I mean should I make my decision based on other factors as well or not?
Reply 4
Original post by CityofMud
Why don’t you go on LinkedIn and search the course name? See where former students have ended up, should give you a clearer idea

That’s a great idea! Thank you very much!!
Reply 5
Original post by gingerbread10000
Absolutely. I'm predicted A*AA, and I am going to a non-Russel group, because the course I have found is much better for me. The skills that you can show are a lot more useful than just the name of a uni. The exact Uni that you go to is not as important (status wise) as it used to be, especially as alternative qualifications e.g. Degree Apprenticeships, are becomming increasingly popular.

Go with the course that sounds the most interesting for you- after all, it's a whole load of debt just to put the name of an establishment on a CV, make the time worthwhile and enjoyable for yourself!

Good Luck :smile:

But isn’t Sheffield overall better than Sussex?
It’s really hard to make a choice when you can’t visit the universities!
Original post by Gargi07
But isn’t Sheffield overall better than Sussex?
It’s really hard to make a choice when you can’t visit the universities!

You need to be looking at more than just league tables. Find out the employability rates of each course, find some other students on linked in like CityofMud said, and compare the courses the modules and decide what would interest you more. League tables change all the time, so it's really not that huge an impact on the quality of your degree.

Couldn't you persuade your teachers/parents to let you go anyway? If not, have a look at the pictures and Reddit reviews as well, they are pretty honest on there haha
Reply 7
You need to be looking at more than just league tables. Find out the employability rates of each course, find some other students on linked in like CityofMud said, and compare the courses the modules and decide what would interest you more. League tables change all the time, so it's really not that huge an impact on the quality of your degree.

Couldn't you persuade your teachers/parents to let you go anyway? If not, have a look at the pictures and Reddit reviews as well, they are pretty honest on there haha

You’re absolutely right!
Thank you so much again. I really appreciate your suggestions. Must go and check Reddit out now haha!
Original post by Gargi07
I have to choose between university of Sheffield and university of Sussex. Now the problem is that I feel that uni of Sheffield is better because it’s a member of the Russell Group, and is also one of the original red brick college. But for my course that is- BSc in Genetics Sussex is ranked higher than Sheffield. My agent says that I should go with Sussex, but the Russell group factor is confusing me (also my other choice is university of Manchester)
I realllllyyyy need help, for the international scholarships deadline are round the corner

Deffo Sheffield, much more respected university, although course matters, would you rather pick UCL with a 'ok' course or Kingston University with a good course?
Original post by Gargi07
You’re absolutely right!
Thank you so much again. I really appreciate your suggestions. Must go and check Reddit out now haha!

No worries :smile: I hope you get to a uni that you feel happy in!
Reply 10
Can you tell me how do I find about the individual modules? Being an international student, it’s kinda hard to get on top of things sometimes
Also that’s some really great advice! Thankyou so much for it!
Reply 11
Original post by Gargi07

i would say that the russel group unis are recognised around the world for their qualification whereas other uni might not do that.
I can see where you are coming from - what I would say is, compare the rankings.
Firstly, how much better is Sheffield than Sussex, and secondly, how much higher is the Sussex course rated than the Sheffield one? If it’s one or two places, stick with Sheffield. If it’s 10-12 places higher.. that’s unlikely to shift majorly over the next 3-4 years so it’s better to go with Sussex if you want a career in your chosen subject area.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Gargi07
Can you tell me how do I find about the individual modules? Being an international student, it’s kinda hard to get on top of things sometimes
Also that’s some really great advice! Thankyou so much for it!

Sussex- scroll down a little bit:
https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/genetics/genetics-bsc

Sheffield-click on the Modules tab:
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=C4002019

Hope that helps!
Reply 14

Oh thank you soooo much!! I seriously can’t thank you enough for this!!
Reply 15
I seriously appreciate your help so much! Thanks again!! You’ve literally solved my problem!
Reply 16
our teachers are recommending us to look at the russel group uni as they have high level of statistics of achieving
Original post by Gargi07
But Sussex is much lower than Sheffield in the league tables
Also, should I just keep my course in mind? I mean should I make my decision based on other factors as well or not?

It's worth noting that league tables don't generally mean a great deal outside of academia and bragging rights, at least in my view! I started a grad scheme last year alongside people from Oxford, and also a number of Russel Group unis, despite attending a lower ranking uni myself :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending