The Student Room Group

Grade Requirements

Let's say the requirements for a mathematics degree is BBB and I get an A* in A - Level Maths and Further Maths but I got a D/E in Economics. Is it likely for a university to accept me on to the course?

I'm really confident in maths and further maths but I'm really worried about not meeting the grade requirement for my third subject.

Any advice? I'm trying to study more economics over maths and further maths but I feel like i'm nit getting anywhere. I'm even considering a tutor to help me with economics.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
xAikx.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xAikx
Let's say the requirements for a mathematics degree is BBB and I get an A* in A - Level Maths and Further Maths but I got a D/E in Economics. Is it likely for a university to accept me on to the course?

I'm really confident in maths and further maths but I'm really worried about not meeting the grade requirement for my third subject.

Any advice? I'm trying to study more economics over maths and further maths but I feel like i'm nit getting anywhere. I'm even considering a tutor to help me with economics.

Thanks,
xAikx.

Any university offering BBB for maths is likely to accept something like A*AD with the distribution you suggest.
Original post by xAikx

Thanks,
xAikx.

Firstly you wouldnt have met the terms of your offer so the university would be entitled to reject you. However there are a number of universities whose Maths entry requirement are A*AA or higher and the majority of Maths courses will require higher than BBB at A level so most people with A*A* in Maths and Further Maths would not end up going to a BBB university. I therefore suspect a BBB university would jump at someone with such Maths ability even though they havent met the requirements.
Reply 3
Original post by xAikx

Thanks,
xAikx.

Have you already applied or are you in Year 12?
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
Have you already applied or are you in Year 12?

I've applied, I received an offer for BBB from Newcastle uni so was curious. I'm sure I can get a B in Economics but it's going to take me a lot of work and I'm not too confident that I'll make it :')
Reply 5
Original post by xAikx
I've applied, I received an offer for BBB from Newcastle uni so was curious. I'm sure I can get a B in Economics but it's going to take me a lot of work and I'm not too confident that I'll make it :':wink:

There's no guarantee but I'd say it's fairly likely Newcastle would take you with A*A*D, and they almost certainly will if you get A*A*B.

What are your other offers? Did you have A*A* Maths & FM predictions.
Reply 6
There's no guarantee but I'd say it's fairly likely Newcastle would take you with A*A*D, and they almost certainly will if you get A*A*B.

What are your other offers? Did you have A*A* Maths & FM predictions.

A*A for Maths and FM and I'm studying Economics independently.
Reply 7
Original post by xAikx
A*A for Maths and FM and I'm studying Economics independently.

So you are just taking 2 A-levels at school? Why is that? Are you a UK student?

And what other university offers do you have?
Reply 8
So you are just taking 2 A-levels at school? Why is that? Are you a UK student?

And what other university offers do you have?

Yeah I'm only taking Maths and FM at College and doing Economics independently as I moved to a different college after AS and they wanted me to redo my first year and did not offer Economics. I am indeed a UK student too :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by xAikx
Yeah I'm only taking Maths and FM at College and doing Economics independently as I moved to a different college after AS and they wanted me to redo my first year and did not offer Economics. I am indeed a UK student too :smile:

Ok, and your other university offers...?
Reply 10
Ok, and your other university offers...?

Still waiting on replies from my offers, Newcastle is the first one to reply.
Reply 11
Original post by xAikx
Still waiting on replies from my offers, Newcastle is the first one to reply.

And what other universities have you applied to?

I'm trying to see how "competitive" your choices are... Most universities will be primarily interested in your Maths/FM grades if you miss a Maths course offer. But some (e.g. Warwick) are much more fussy.
Reply 12
And what other universities have you applied to?

I'm trying to see how "competitive" your choices are... Most universities will be primarily interested in your Maths/FM grades if you miss a Maths course offer. But some (e.g. Warwick) are much more fussy.

Oh right, my choices were:

Newcastle (My main choice)
South Wales
Essex
Manchester Metropolitan
Leicester

I wanted to apply for Leeds and regretting that I didn't slightly.
Original post by xAikx
Oh right, my choices were:

Newcastle (My main choice)
South Wales
Essex
Manchester Metropolitan
Leicester

I wanted to apply for Leeds and regretting that I didn't slightly.

When did you apply?
Reply 14
Original post by ageshallnot
When did you apply?

Last week Tuesday before the deadline.
Original post by xAikx
Last week Tuesday before the deadline.

You have 14 days to change your mind. I think the deadline is therefore today?
Reply 16
You have 14 days to change your mind. I think the deadline is therefore today?

I can change one of my choices now and it'll be considered?!

If so I'm doing that right away...
Original post by xAikx
I can change one of my choices now and it'll be considered?!

If so I'm doing that right away...

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/making-changes-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

You will have to ring Ucas. Which uni do you want to swap for Leeds? Are you certain?
Reply 18
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/making-changes-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

You will have to ring Ucas. Which uni do you want to swap for Leeds? Are you certain?

Manchester Metro -> Leeds
Original post by xAikx
Manchester Metro -> Leeds

Ok, I assumed it was either that or South Wales. Hit the phone...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending