The Student Room Group

University of Birmingham medicine offer holders 2019

Thought i'd start a thread since i couldn't find one!
Feel free to post stats

GCSEs:
Predicted A levels:
Offer calculator score:
Interview (date):
Offer (date):
Other Unis applied to:

Also, what made you apply to Birmingham and how did you think your interview went before you received an offer?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
GCSEs: 11A*s
Predicted: 3A*s
A* in EPQ (already achieved)
Offer calculator score: 10
Interview: 3/12/18
Offer: 17/1/19
Other unis: Sheffield, oxford, Newcastle

I thought my interview went okay but couldnt really tell tbh.

Love everything about the uni so v happy about the offer!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JoannaF
GCSEs: 11A*s
Predicted: 3A*s
Interview: 3/12/18
Offer: 17/1/19
Other unis: Sheffield, oxford, Newcastle

I thought my interview went okay but couldnt really tell tbh.

Love everything about the uni so v happy about the offer!

Did you get the Oxford offer?
Reply 3
GCSEs: 9 9 9 A* A* A* A* A* A A
UKCAT: 756.5 Band 2
Predicted A levels: A* A* A*
Interview (date): 11/12/2018
Offer (date): 17/01/2019
Other Unis applied to:
Kings: Offer!
Nottingham: interview
Sheffield: interview

I dont really know between Kings or Birmingham.
Initially I was set on Kings, but Ive been hearing that Kings is very clique-y and filled with rich kids (rumours obviously). I guess ill just have to see at offer holder day haha!
I did really like Birmingham as well though, but the course at Kings does seem better (for me) because of full body dissection and everyone intercalating with a much larger range of options to choose from...
Anybody else deciding between Kings and Bham?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Academic_Medic
Did you get the Oxford offer?

Nope didn’t even get an interview 😕
Reply 5
Do bham lower offers e.g to AAA for people NOT on the contextual list?
Oh wow, my stats seem awful compared to these 😂:

GCSEs- 9,8,8,8A*s and an A
Predicted A Levels- 4A*s (and an A/A* in EPQ hopefully)
Offer Calculator Score- 7.778 (this was for the 2018 calculator, may have changed this year)
Interview- 13/12/18
Offer- 17/01/19
Other Unis:
Oxford- rejected
Kings- interview 9th Jan
Liverpool- interview 11th Feb

Honestly didn’t even believe I’d get an interview for Birmingham, I don’t know how I got the offer, it was VERY surprising. I thought the interview was alright, a few stations I really wasn’t sure on, I’ll have to wait till they release the scores and rankings from the interview
I applied to Bham because I liked having such a massive hospital next to the uni and also, their accommodation style was really cool. I also liked the course style because it suits me.
(edited 5 years ago)
GCSEs: 12A*s
Predicted grades: A*A*A
Offer calculator score: don’t remember lol
Interview: 6/12/18
Offer: 17/01/19
Other unis: Sheffield, Edinburgh, Leicester

I just love bham: the med school and the city. Thought the interview went ok but I really wasn’t sure
Reply 8
Hi all, current 2nd year med student at Bham here! Just to answer a couple of questions I’ve seen here:

1) to the person deciding between kings and Bham this was me 2 years ago and I chose Bham mainly because the extracurricular music here is amazing and I’m a serious musician. When I applied I really really wanted to do full body dissection but I’ve actually ended up really appreciating prosection as every time I go I know I’m seeing exactly what I’m supposed to be seeing rather than blindly cutting through things and possibly getting things wrong! I have a friend at kings as well who also loves it there. Also I decided to be in Birmingham because it basically has everything that London has to offer but is smaller, I love the city so much! Maybe visit each place again? If you wanted to come and spend a day with me at Birmingham we could definitely arrange that! If you want to know anything else feel free to drop me a message

2) to the person asking if anyone NOT on contextual list gets lower offers , I don’t generally think that happens UNLESS you’ve applied with 4 levels when rather than asking for A*AA they ask for AAAB, that was my offer :smile:
GCSEs: 999 7A*s
AS: A in Mathematics
UKCAT: 720 Band 1
Predicted A levels: A*A*A*A* (Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, & Biology)
Interview (date): 27/11/18 (Same date as Oxford Interview offer)
Offer (date): 17/01/2019
Other Unis applied to: Oxford, Imperial, Sheffield & Birmingham.
Imperial Offer: A*AA
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by erinls2
Hi all, current 2nd year med student at Bham here! Just to answer a couple of questions I’ve seen here:

1) to the person deciding between kings and Bham this was me 2 years ago and I chose Bham mainly because the extracurricular music here is amazing and I’m a serious musician. When I applied I really really wanted to do full body dissection but I’ve actually ended up really appreciating prosection as every time I go I know I’m seeing exactly what I’m supposed to be seeing rather than blindly cutting through things and possibly getting things wrong! I have a friend at kings as well who also loves it there. Also I decided to be in Birmingham because it basically has everything that London has to offer but is smaller, I love the city so much! Maybe visit each place again? If you wanted to come and spend a day with me at Birmingham we could definitely arrange that! If you want to know anything else feel free to drop me a message

2) to the person asking if anyone NOT on contextual list gets lower offers , I don’t generally think that happens UNLESS you’ve applied with 4 levels when rather than asking for A*AA they ask for AAAB, that was my offer :smile:

If you are on the contextual list AND do 4 A Levels, is the offer reduced even further?
GCSEs: 998 + 7A*
Predicted A levels: A*A*A*A*
Offer calculator score: don’t remember lol, but my ukcat was 680
Interview (date): 12/12/18
Offer (date): 17/01/19
Other Unis applied to: Cardiff, oxford, imperial.

My choice to apply to Birmingham was rather last minute and impulsive but I’m very glad I did so! When I visited I absolutely loved it and it’s now where I hope to go next year. My original plan was to apply to Kings, but when I got my ukcat which is slightly low, I was a bit unsure if that was a good idea. I do believe it worked out great for me though in the end.

My bmat was a total train wreck lol so oxford rejected me and imperial hasn’t got back to me (we all know where that’s going.) my Cardiff interview is this week.
After my interview at Birmingham I did think it went pretty well and I’m glad I was right.
Congrats everyone on the offers! :smile: Will hopefully be studying medicine with a couple of you later this year.
Original post by JoannaF
Nope didn’t even get an interview 😕

I’m in totally the same boat here. Similar stats but no interview. But Birmingham has grown on me and I reckon I’d really like it - how about you?
Original post by nylrehs
GCSEs: 998 + 7A*
Predicted A levels: A*A*A*A*
Offer calculator score: don’t remember lol, but my ukcat was 680
Interview (date): 12/12/18
Offer (date): 17/01/19
Other Unis applied to: Cardiff, oxford, imperial.

My choice to apply to Birmingham was rather last minute and impulsive but I’m very glad I did so! When I visited I absolutely loved it and it’s now where I hope to go next year. My original plan was to apply to Kings, but when I got my ukcat which is slightly low, I was a bit unsure if that was a good idea. I do believe it worked out great for me though in the end.

My bmat was a total train wreck lol so oxford rejected me and imperial hasn’t got back to me (we all know where that’s going.) my Cardiff interview is this week.
After my interview at Birmingham I did think it went pretty well and I’m glad I was right.
Congrats everyone on the offers! :smile: Will hopefully be studying medicine with a couple of you later this year.

I got 665 Band 2 for my UKCAT and ended up getting a kings interview so you definitely would have got one :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Hayiqat
Thought i'd start a thread since i couldn't find one!

Moved to the Medical Schools forum...
Reply 15
Original post by nylrehs
I’m in totally the same boat here. Similar stats but no interview. But Birmingham has grown on me and I reckon I’d really like it - how about you?

Oh definitely! Birmingham has always been my first choice even with oxford in the picture so I’m so happy about the offer! I’m definitely firming it!
Reply 16
Original post by erinls2

wow thank you for the advice!
i will probs go to both the offer holder days and then see how i am feeling!
i will be sure to let you know what i decide😁😂
thank you for your help!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Khushi.S
I got 665 Band 2 for my UKCAT and ended up getting a kings interview so you definitely would have got one :smile:

Oh I see! Thanks for letting me know.
I am still glad I chose Birmingham though because not gonna lie, I didn’t really vibe with Kings a lot when I visited. It is of course a great medical school though so congrats on that!
Original post by JoannaF
Oh definitely! Birmingham has always been my first choice even with oxford in the picture so I’m so happy about the offer! I’m definitely firming it!

That’s great - I’m most likely firming Birmingham too unless I suddenly change my mind and opt for Cardiff. We may end up studying together next year then, provided we keep up our track record grades wise :h:
Original post by JoannaF

Hey I've got an offer from Birmingham too and I was just wondering what about it appeals to you lots?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending