The Student Room Group

Urgent: please help me understand

Hi,

I am a Swedish student applying for entry in 2019. I have good grades, a good personal statement and an impressive reference. However, this is not important here. Before applying to study in the UK, I studied for one year at a university in Sweden, doing literature. After a while I found out that it was not for me, so I though I'd apply to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Warwick, Bristol and Durham for the course Politics and Philosophy (PPL at Warwick).

And this is where it gets complicated. Today I found out that Glasgow rejected me solely due to the fact that I already held credits from another institution (my Swedish uni). Will all other universities reject me on this reason as well? I am so confused because I know plenty of people who have applied to study in the UK after studying for a while in Sweden beforehand.

This is what it said on UCAS Track: ''Unfortunately, your application is no longer being considered by University of Glasgow for Philosophy/Politics, LVF5.
University of Glasgow may have decided not to offer you a place, or your application may have been withdrawn. Here are the details we have been given:
Credits from other institutions are not accepted for entrance purposes.''

How should I proceed from now?
Original post by ConfusedSwede
Hi,

I am a Swedish student applying for entry in 2019. I have good grades, a good personal statement and an impressive reference. However, this is not important here. Before applying to study in the UK, I studied for one year at a university in Sweden, doing literature. After a while I found out that it was not for me, so I though I'd apply to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Warwick, Bristol and Durham for the course Politics and Philosophy (PPL at Warwick).

And this is where it gets complicated. Today I found out that Glasgow rejected me solely due to the fact that I already held credits from another institution (my Swedish uni). Will all other universities reject me on this reason as well? I am so confused because I know plenty of people who have applied to study in the UK after studying for a while in Sweden beforehand.

This is what it said on UCAS Track: ''Unfortunately, your application is no longer being considered by University of Glasgow for Philosophy/Politics, LVF5.
University of Glasgow may have decided not to offer you a place, or your application may have been withdrawn. Here are the details we have been given:
Credits from other institutions are not accepted for entrance purposes.''

How should I proceed from now?

do you meet the entry requirements of the other universities from level 3 courses?
I met the entry requirements for all courses I have applied to, except Durham where I was just a little bit below, but decided to apply anyway since I thought my overall application would make up for that. I will accept a rejection any day a week, it's just that I do not at all understand the reason Glasgow has given me.
The way I read that, it suggests that you are using your credits from the uni in Sweden as your entrance grades for the course??
Original post by AzureCeleste
The way I read that, it suggests that you are using your credits from the uni in Sweden as your entrance grades for the course??

That is technically true, but not important as information. As any applicant is required to submit all their achieved grades, I, too, published my results from my university modules in Sweden. But, and this is the central point, I also published my grades from secondary school (Swedish 'Gymnasiet', equivalent to UK A-levels). So the way I see it, my received grades from my modules in Literature should be seen as a kind of 'bonus', and not as an obstacle, since I also published all my other grades from my time at school, grades that in themselves qualify for the entry requirements of my choices.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Right now you are guessing as to why you were turned down. There may be a sensible reason or Glasgow may have made a mistake - it happens.
Call Glasgow University admissions and ask to discuss it - hopefully you'll get someone helpful. You could talk to the other universities too.
Today I managed to get in touch with all my choices—except Glasgow, ironically, where not anyone working in admissions seems to be at work today. Anyway, Edinburgh, Bristol, Durham and Warwick claimed, on the phone, that they would assess my application equally with all others. The admission tutors checked my application and confirmed that my experiences from a Swedish university would not at all make me illegible. This was a relief, but it nevertheless leaves me even more confused. Why couldn't Glasgow assess my application equally, then? I'll call them again tomorrow..
Original post by claireestelle
do you meet the entry requirements of the other universities from level 3 courses?

Original post by AzureCeleste

Original post by RRRT
Right now you are guessing as to why you were turned down. There may be a sensible reason or Glasgow may have made a mistake - it happens.
Call Glasgow University admissions and ask to discuss it - hopefully you'll get someone helpful. You could talk to the other universities too.

I dont know if you guys will see this, but today I recieved an unconditional offer from Glasgow. They told me a newly employed member of staff had made a mistake. I feel like I have taken my case to court and won! I don't even know if I will attend this specific university, however, it feels good to be recognized.
Just scrolling through and thought I'd say congratulations! Keep updating with where you decide to go, I'm strangely interested lol
Original post by maddiesmith
Just scrolling through and thought I'd say congratulations! Keep updating with where you decide to go, I'm strangely interested lol

Thank you! I will of course do that if you want to know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending